1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Close Encounters with the Questioning Mind!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Vandhana, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

My little one has just discovered the 4 Ws in life! Why?, Who?, What?, When? So there starts my second round with the close encounters of the questioning kind. My older one is a questioner too, and it started when he was three, he is 11 now and the questions have not stopped.
    Now I know why God made Moms, guess he would not be able to handle the gamut of questions that kids ask:spin.

What starts of as seemingly innocent questions, often lands us in trouble, embarassment, and what not. Often the same question wil be asked a 1001 times,( when the child is 4) and they expect the same answer. If once we answer differently, then oh no, we are in big trouble till we give them the answer they are looking for. Like for instance, my little fellow has asked me " Amma , what do the astronauts do in space? " a little over thousand times i think. I have to say they are doing science experiments without fail. If i say oh they are taking a walk or having fun, I am out of the game.
    Its fun to see how our answers change as the kids grow too. A simple Amma , where does the sun go at night? Is answered differently for each age from 3 to 6 ( by now i think they know how the process works!)
    The other day, the weather being nice, we had gone for a walk in the trail near our house . There were a few men jogging, bare chested. And my little one has to ask in the loudest voice possible " Amma , why is he running with his shirt off? " My hubby was looking for a place to :hide, and i was susshing him, and he was pretty insistent on knowing right then and there Why the man is running with his shirt off!!
    A couple of years back, my older one then 9 , came home from school one day asked me . Mom what do they mean when some one is gay?" I got the shock of my life. I mean , there are two meanings right for the word Gay, and he is too young to know the "other " meaning. So i just told him , of course don't be silly, 9 years old and you don't know the meaning of Gay? it means to be verry merry and happy .. Ok he was happy with that answer, but then a few months later, he comes back with the same question worded a little differently. Amma , why do they call some men Gay!!. Gosh what do I tell a 9+ yr old boy about sexual orientation? So my most ingenious best, i told him that they were a group of men belonging to a special club that does not like to get married , and so they sarcastically call themselves Gay!!! Ha Howzzat??
    Yes i got the usual question from the older one about babies too and how they come out and was satisfied with the usual " doc cutting tummy open" story , till his karate teacher took it upon herself to explain the process of normal delivery. His first question to me after the class, How come you did not tell me the correct way how the baby comes out? Hey there is such thing as C section , I am not wrongRant.
    The day is not far when I will be confronted with the birds and bees question and i should be prepare for it. Hey these Qs are tougher than the boards!!
    But in the meanwhile if any of you happen to see some " parundu poindurukkum maanam" ( means our honor taking a hike!!) , look closely and you will find my name written on it....:bang

2. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

hi Vandana,

Ur kids Q 's are so cute and sweet. I love ur answers to the Q's they are asking u. I had fun reading ur blog. It was so Chweet.:idea

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hello Vandhana
    I think your children are genius.. so many Q's.. since i dont have to answer here i am enjoying yur answers.. good one..

4. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

I loved reading your honest post.
    All I remember in this context is, my own questions to my mom. I was the most curious kid out of three, My mom played a simple trick. She would say, since i am so sharp I should find answer to my question and tell her too.. Now that was equal to putting the ball back in my court.. once I asked her what is 'carefree' ad about? I was just in 5-6th standard. She told so naively, she also doesnot know. If I find out, I should tell her too...
    Very Smart mommy..
    Ria

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Thanks for stepping in madhu. Sure this is a little training for you for the future.

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

AC,
    Cannot let you go that easily. So what Q of DS stumped you the most? Come on out with it!! For me i think it has to be the one about Gay.... Lets see what J comes up with.

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Ria,
    Had a good laugh. One smart mom you have. Yes these days for a few of the questions, I ask my older one to find out himself, but the dicey ones, i still handle... My older son has wondered about the ad you mentioned too. Now don't ask me for the answer to that one!!

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hey vandhana,
    I know how it feels. I always wonder why do mom's get all those ....questions to answer...
    I have a extra curious DS always shooting questions..it is like he lives on questions and answers...and for his sake,I am learning,afterall if I say you go and find the answer, he will find the answer, but in turn will come back and tell me "mom, I thought you are a genius, and now see you don't know the answer for the same..":hide

The most embarassing question he could ask was when he was 71/2. now he is 9+. The question went, mom, I know, the egg gets split in the mom's tummy into two, and that how twin's are born. but how come a mom's tummy can hold two babies in one time...and could you explain me in detail everything.:spin.

The questions on cricket, universe,keep me looking dumb sometimes...:help

Latest being do you know why dad has mush and you don't have one...I said i don't know... by night, I had a class on estrogen, progesterone,.....and also what hormones cause pregnancy....

Thanks to the children's encyclopedia..(When I brought the books I never thought it will be so detailed.Rant)

I am scared some day he is going to give me a lecture on bees and bird than the other way round...

May be I need a class to learn to tackle the questions..

9. srivatsa

srivatsa New IL'ite

Thanks for the lessons i will be facing them soon in another year, my kid will be three.

Regards
    Sri

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Shanti,
    That was too good. Especially the Mush one..... Lets see. the older ones is doing all about mitosis and meosis and the Mendels theory in science. am sure pretty soon he will tell me about the B and Bs too!! Its amazing how much these kids know with the availability of the encyclopedia and the internet. Don't think we asked our moms this many questions, or such questions??