1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Clingy baby..need help

Discussion in 'Infants' started by mrspat, Jul 3, 2010.

1. mrspat

mrspat New IL'ite

I need some suggestions from experienced mom's here. My daughter is 6 months old. My DH comes around 8 pm and from that minute, he spends time with her. She also squeals with delight and jumps at the very minute she sees him. The problem is during weekends, she really goes to extremes. She does not feed properly and literally sleeps only for an hour during the day (she sleeps around 4 hrs during daytime on the days when DH is not around).

It becomes really frustrating to see her getting very tired,(and DH also gets tired as she just does not get down from his shoulder).Weekends are now my nightmare as I just do not know what to do)
    How do we show our LO that DH will be always around for her? Is it possible for her to understand at all? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Note: We had a similar problem with her caretaker. When the caretaker leaves by 6.00 pm, she becomes really fidgety and she howls and shouts the whole of evening. I had to give her a hot bath to make her ok.Sometimes even that didnt work..and Ihad to wait till Dh came home. This became tiresome and I stopped the caretaker and now evenings are pretty peaceful.

2. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

children around 6 months of age have no concept of object permanance.its only when they turn around one that they realise that things that go out of sight can really come back(like a parent).its not unusual for your baby to be clingy.both my sons are/were clingy(second one is seven months old).i usually dont agree with people who claim that if you habituate them to your being around all the time, they turn that way.infants need reassurance that their loved ones are around them to take care.your baby may overwhelm you but she will grow out of it soon.in fact i carry my lil one around when doing housework.i prefer it this way.so dont worry...its a matter of time ...as far as the weekend woes are concerned, its only natural that kids follow your weekend pattern.mine hardly sleeps during day time during weekends as we go out to shop or go to the park etc.

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

well said enlightened. i ditto u!