Climbing stairs during pregnancy - is it safe?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by jyothijyothi, Apr 2, 2009.

1. jyothijyothi

jyothijyothi New IL'ite

safe to climb stair

Hi

i am 6 week pregnant and i just wanted to know is it safe to climb stairs during this time (around 3 floor).

appreciate feed back

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Re: safe to climb stair

Hi Jyothi,

It is safe to climb stairs. You need to walk slowly not fast. In case, you are tired wait for a while and then proceed. In case, you are at home limit walking up and down the stairs too many times unless needed.

If there is an option of lift kindly make use of the same.

Regards,
    Lynette

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  3. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

It all depends on your health condition.you can ask your doctor about this too.Just walk slowly and sit in between .

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Unless your doctor has asked you to limit physical activity or be on bedrest, climbing stairs are fine. I live in three level townhouse with two flights of stairs to get to the bedrooms. For both of my pregnancies, I had to climb stairs up and down several times a day. If you are in good health it is fine.

5. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

hi Jyothi,
    As other IL's suggested, get your gynic's advice whether you can climb stairs. I believe there wont be any issue in climbing stairs as long as you do it slowly. Dont limit your physical activity rather limit your speed in doing so. Just have a word with doctor and proceed.

6. jyothijyothi

jyothijyothi New IL'ite

thanks a lot for all your feedback, its indeed very relief and good to ask doubt and get so many replys with their experience.

Thank you once again for all of you

7. dearsins

dearsins Senior IL'ite

Thanks everyone for the replies. Even I had a similar doubt and thanks jyothi for posting this thread

8. nagarathna.82

nagarathna.82 New IL'ite

Hey all,:wave

Im 12 weeks pregnant now. My house is in 2nd floor and my office is also in 1st floor. I have been diagnosed with Bicornuate uterus. My question is that, is it safe to climb stairs during pregnancy? Is there any minimum steps for a day or something like that? Since I have a bicorunate uterus, dr. has told me to be careful through out my pregnancy. She has also told me to walk as much as possible, but since Im in 2nd floor I need to climb down for a walk, my house is also quite congested. Pls advice.........

9. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

You can go through this link the query is answered

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/im-pregnant/53280-safe-to-climb-stair.html

Since you have a bicorunate uterus you need to take care. May be you can take small steps and rest and then start walking rather than walking hurriedly. There is no minimum steps my aunt has climbed the fourth floor all through her pregnancy.

All the best.