1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning window grills

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sita_r, May 22, 2012.

1. kavi257570

kavi257570 Silver IL'ite

Swaran. very nice tips... am getting married next month.. and we hav taken a house fr rent to live after mrg... and those windows are heavily designed.. my 1st shock when i saw those was,"how will i clean all these regularly?" OMG..!! since i never did it at my home till now... but dat seems like lil easy wid ur tips... thanks swaran... :):):)

2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks for your likes and feedback dear kavi,
    Happy Married life in Advance
    glad that my post helped you :-D

Dear Srividhya,
    You are right,the kitchen window gets sticky many times...the same happens to the exhaust fan in our house..
    i would suggest you to use either of these solutions to remove the rough hard dirt::CIF cleaner,Mr.MUSCLE cleaner or SOAP OIL..use it directly on the area,i wouldnt say everthing will go in one wash but definetely you can spot the difference :)
    You can also try to implement either of these
    (1)Try to change your stove location.From your post,i feel the window is just behind your cooking gas stove..in such cases,the dirt gets accumulated very easily...try to change the position
    (2)If this is not possible,put a mosuito net for that window..it surely helps..the net gets dirty which you can clean like once a week or once in 2 weeks..
    my mother and my neighbour have done this ,their stove position is exactly before the window and believe me this works..
    i dont see the window getting dirty,the mosquito net does but that could be cleaned a little easily compared to the sticky dirt on window

Incase you dont have an exhaust fan,try to put that..it helps :)
    Hope you find my suggestions useful :)

Dear Vasavi
    Its good to see your efforts..very true .a little dusting everyday would help a lot :)

1 person likes this.
  3. srividhyasundar

srividhyasundar Senior IL'ite

Dear swaran,

Thank you for your detailed and very useful tips. Yes, You are right. The window is just behind the stove. I can't change the location right now. so i decided to put a mosquito net.

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

you are welcome srividhya :)
    do try and share your feedback here :)

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks for the likes deepthyanoop Bow

6. ownprincess

ownprincess Bronze IL'ite

For cleaning the mosquito nets try using shoe polish brush. Dust from the nets will be removed easily.
    For the grills, clean it with a cloth. If it is raining, then wash it with water.
    For the dust collected in the railings of the window, use a paintbrush or toothbrush.

kiran82 and srividhyasundar like this.
  7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks for the likes Veni :)

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Swaran,

Cool ideas.. and practical ones.. with the pollution, you need to think of ways to keep the home neat and without too much difficulty..

i use most of the ideas discussed..netlon, though i soak them in a bucket..(the latest ones can be washed in washing machines itseems, but never tried..i rinse them one/twice and then add a few drops of dish washing liquid/shampoo feels that this cleans them more better than washing soap..(we have hard water)..

and if you have crevices in the grills (the joining parts) that are not accessible even with paint brush use the longer handle ones that you use for painting..i use the ones my daughter stops using for her painting or i buy the ones that are not too costly...the long handle and the fine brush gives you a easy access to dust off the dust, effortlessly..

9. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Nice tips Swaran. I too use paint brush to clean both windows and balcony grills.

For mosquito nets, they are stuck using velcro. So i take them out once in a month, wash and dry them in the sun. They are very easy to wash. Will get clean even if you use only water to wash them. They will be dry in 1-2 hours and very clean.

10. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks a lot shanvy for your compliments Bow
    oh i have never heard of this washing machine washing...lets try once but then i am not sure how well the big nets would fit it..but then let me try it out..thanks for the tip :)

oh yes,i forgot to add in the post,i too have different brushes of varying thickness for the different areas at home for dusting..
    i use tooth brushes,old unused small paint brush,thick broader paint brushes and thick edged paint brush for the tougher dirts...it works.. :)