1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning VS Shaping Eyebrows

Discussion in 'Face & Skin Care' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Jul 15, 2011.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Do you ladies get your eyebrows threaded?

Do you get them cleaned, i.e. excessive hair threaded?

Or do you get them shaped?

So far, I've been getting them cleaned, but now I am considering getting them shaped.

I blogged about it in my latest post, here. Posted picture of actress who has beautiful eyebrows, and would like beautiful eyebrows.

Does it take super experience for someone to shape eyebrows, i.e. 10 years in threading business? Or can a beginner also shape eyebrows?

Just curious because I've heard of horror stories where shaping is not done properly and person has to wait months till eyebrows grow back, but in the meantime they need to color in the space where their eyebrows used to be.

Thanks.......

2. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

I thread it myself, and have been doing it forever now. I find its best if you stick to your natural brow shape, but there are a few rules of thumb to get a shape that complements your face:

1. The length: Imagine a vertical line stretching up from the edge of your nostril up to the brows - that's where you want your brow to begin medially. For the outer edge, imagine an angled line running between the edges of your mouth and eyelids, and where it meets the brow is where you want your brows to end.

3. The arch: its most flattering, and it opens up the eyes naturally when the arch sits right above the outer edges of the iris in your eye. Stand in front of the mirror, and hold a pencil vertically so that it is aligned with the outer edges of the iris. Where the pencil hits the brows is where you want your arch to sit. Removing even a few hair there from the bottom edge is enough to give you the arches you want. For an angled arch, you want to thread the outer edges of the brow so you create a sharp angle. For a rounded arch, you want to thread right above the arch, where its sharpest to round out the edges. It comes with some experimenting.

Once you have your basics figured out, just start cleaning up the strays and work inward, typically you don't want to mess around very much with your natural arches. Also, don't go all tweezers-happy when you're doing this, there's nothing worse than over-plucked brows and will age your face more than anything.

You could actually start with getting a pro to do the shaping the first time or so, and then keep it up yourself, visiting her again every few months for touch ups. Or try with some stencils.

To answer your question about experience - experience helps, but it takes an eye for aesthetics to do this. I've seen people with lots of experience make a complete hash out of beautiful brows, and people with no experience shape even the flattest of brows.

Go with personal recommendations for the shaping, or if you see someone whose brows you like, just ask them where they get it done... :).

2 people like this.
  3. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Hello Dhaanika,

I attempted threading my eyebrows few days ago. At first, I was shell shocked at the results, but then I kept getting compliments. Now I see that they look really nice. Of course, practice makes perfect.

Thank you for the tips!