1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning up after going potty - ideas please.....

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by radhakarthik, Nov 15, 2008.

1. radhakarthik

radhakarthik Senior IL'ite

my son is 5.6 years old and whenever he goes potty he wants me to clean him up, i slowly want him to do it on his own, but he doesn't want to do it, he says his hands will get dirty:idea , i told him its okay and he can wash his hands later, but he doesn't seem to get it, when is the best time kids should start cleaning up by themselves and how to do u teach them and make them do it. any advise and suggestions welcome.(and by the way we use tissue to clean up, no water )

radha

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I think it is still soon. Why dont you get toilet paper with pictures maybe if you can get. Slightly scented will also be good.When you do it for him try involving him in cleaning. Slowly you can say you are busy and he can do it himself. And later you can check if he did it right.Good luck.

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I guess you may be knowing that there are special toilet tissues(flushable) for kids..which are moist..it will be easy for your son to clean rather than using normal ones.

4. radhakarthik

hi supriya,
    we do use the flushable wipes, but he is so into cleanliness he doesn't want to do it himself, he feels his hands will get dirty and doesn't even want to give it a try....

5. radhakarthik

chocolate, i will check in store if they have any flushable tissues with pictures, otherwise i guess i have to wait for some more time till he is ready.thanks for reply

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  6. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Radha, here's what our 5 year old nephew does whenever he visits us - he's very close to his uncle (my hubby), so after he goes poopy, he yells out for his uncle to come and clean him up, and my hubby will walk to the bathroom and ask him to clean himself up, while he watches and tells him how to do it. Nephew will not be happy, but he'll reluctantly clean himself up with a wet tissue to please his uncle. So, I think, your son may not be too young to do it, but he may need some encouragement.

Can you do a sticker reward chart? Initially, you may begin the clean up and then rightaway ask him to follow you or copy what you did- for extra clean up measure. Give lots of encouragement. It may help if your husband does it, since kids like to show off to their dads. Also, I think it will also help if you make hand washing a fun project, so he understands whatever 'dirty' he got on his fingers, is all gone now - maybe sing the ABCD song or some other song while washing hands.

You can also get a soap dispenser that looks like his favorite cartoon character, and Kandoo makes these flushable wipes that can be hung on the toilet roll bar.

I may totally be rambling, but just wanted to throw some thoughts on you. I think this is how I would do if I ever have the same issue with Riya. Good luck. Cleaning themselves up is a big step towards being independent too, and it can be scary for a lot of kids to be that independent. He loves the attention he gets when he calls you. So enjoy that while you teach him this huge achievement in life. :thumbsup

Raj

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Radha you sound like me.. today my son is a teenager but back then he behaved liked yours claiming he will get dirty:crazy and once I figured he was old enough to handle I was very firm and insisted in a no nonsense voice.. or else he could ofcourse stay dirty:spin so he cleaned up:hiya just my 1 cent.. and the flushable wipes help too.

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Good Tips, everyone. I am not there yet :-( My son is only 3, but I'm sure I will use your suggestions...