1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning the deposits in babiy's Tongue

Discussion in 'Infants' started by poojabalaji, Sep 11, 2008.

1. poojabalaji

poojabalaji New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am Pooja and I have been visiting this site and going through various posts regularly for quite some time now. I have a question regarding my baby and i thot you all would help on this. So as my title suggets its all about Cleaning the deposits(Mostly white in color) in my 8 months old baby's tongue. Please let me know how do u clean it and how effectively can it be done.

cheers

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear Pooja ,

I assume you are breast feeding. So the white color should ne nothing but the milk residue.. Just feed your baby some water after breast feeding . The more you leave it there the tougher it is to clean. Also everyday when you give her / him a shower run your wet finger through the tongue with a little pressure ! Your baby would cry but then she / he anyways does it while taking a shower right !! :)

The white spots will disappear in some time ! take care ..:thumbsup

3. Chandramukhi

Chandramukhi Senior IL'ite

Hi Pooja,

My mum used to clean the mouth with a wet washcloth.

1 person likes this.
  4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Pooja,

My mom used to tell me that Vasambu (acorus Calamus, Sweet Flag in English) toasted on direct flame (till blackened) and the powder (2 pinches) given once a week was for this purpose. I haven't tried this personally.. hope someone can give a feedback on this traditional medicine.

Latha

5. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

The white deposit is not harmful and is very common in breastfed baby. The more abrasive methods you use to clean, the more damage will you do to the taste buds. Keep in mind that your baby's tongue is not as rugged as an adult's. In older kids may be a finger brush (is similar to a wash cloth into which you can slip in a finger - used for brushing kid's teeth until they can hold toothbrush) can be used gently to rub over the tongue.
    Latha, charred vasambu is a activated charcoal and helps with absorbing gas in the stomach - but be advised to use it in very small quantities and avoid using it in newborns.

-L.

6. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Yep, I agree with Lavanya. Don't use any abrasive method to clean the baby's tongue. It is quite normal. If you have concerns, ask your pedi for suggestions.

I am hoping the white deposit or spots that you are talking about is not bothering the baby in any way,

Raj

7. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

HI,

I used to clean with a very thin wet handkerchief or towel.

vani

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Latha - abt vasambu - it can cause a serious condition called paralytic ileus in newborns (the intestines simply stop working). I have seen far too many babies get sick and some even die after being given vasambu so I wouldnt ever recommend it. In fact my strict policy is that nothing - absolutely nothing - goes past the lips of a young baby other than breastmilk (unless medication is needed for some definite reason). I dont know abt vasambu's effects in older babies though.

Vanathi.

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Thank you Lavanya, Vanathi for the valuable advice. My mom charred vasambu when aniish was a baby (she knows we don't have gas here). But i never used it. I believe in getting medicines (also natural alternatives) and giving food that are practised wherever i live. I use the vasambu that she gave me in my wardrobes (they apparently are moth repellants).

I hope my suggestion here and your advice following that will help many moms who might follow tradition and give vasambu. Actually my cousin in Bombay was insisting that i give vasambu for aniish (there is also a belief that it'll help speech in children.. like parrots or what?). Thank God i never used them (laziness sometimes does help).

Latha

10. poojabalaji

poojabalaji New IL'ite

Hi,

Thank you all for ur valuable time and insight.

Preethi,
    Yes i am breast feeding my daughter.

Raj,
    The white spots are not bothering her in any way as far as i see , but i
    was a bit worried just because she had some trouble in her tummy for the last couple of days(Though she is fine now and the spot is till there and it is normal...nothing different from what it used to be ) and when i was discussing this with ppl around they said that the tummy problem would arise for those babies with this kind of white deposits in their mouth. which is why i was concerned.
    Personally i felt this shld not be the cause for her tummy problem but still wanted to get it cleaned and wanted to know your valuable opinions and experiences on this.

Latha,
    Regarding vasambhu.
    Actually i have so far heard that though it is good to be applied around the baby's tummy and when given orally in small quantites will help in absorbing the gas as said by lavanya, but it mite lead to stammering in children and affect their speech. I think there are various versions of its effect and ill effects :confused2:

All other mommies thanks a ton for ur time .:thankyou2:

cheers