1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning silver and brass pooja items

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by mohana, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ami...

Is it not a chore to keep the silver shining!?! I have started using the toothpaste for cleaning my silver articles now as it seems so easy and one always has toothpaste in plenty at home! It is working very well for me and you should try it out without fail. Keep a soft cloth and a clean toothbrush to get into the difficult corners of the articles.
    You are right, although one can use alufoil with boiling water, the results will not be fantastic. It works best for the western kitchen where many use silver cutlery and it is easy at the end of the dinner to clean their cutlery this way. I too was not that impressed with those results.
    My favorite is the Hagerty silver polishing cloth. It works wonders. But I am not that sure as to where it is available in the US. Try jewellery shops and Lenox stores if you have one nearby. I am not sure about Walmart etc. This is because I brought a lot of it with me from Germany where it is very easily available everywhere and I still have some stock. Maybe others who read this can give us a better info about it. You can get it online as I checked it out for you. Below is the link.
    Best of luck.
    L, Kamla
    http://shophometrends.com/product.a...d=CNKRuai5yYkCFSoIFQodchSjUg&bhcd2=1168005939

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Sliver Polishing Cloths

Dear Ami,

I have picked up a few packets of the silver polishing cloths from Bed Bath and Beyond. Try there.

Vandhana

3. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

If I may butt in

Dear Ami,
    Yes toothpaste works really well as Kamala says did try polishing my silver and sure looks sparkling.

To Vandhana
    What is the name of the cloth? Is it just called silver polishing cloth? Thanks in advance.

Love,

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Agree with you, Kamla..

Thanks for all of yr superb suggestions, Kamla, Anjana & Vandhana.

More than a job, it was a project to me-washing all pooja silver/brass items every thursday. After reading all of yr suggestions, guess that it will ONLY a job!!! I tried paste with cloth and it is working a bit. Should buy brush and definitely, give a try with the spl cloth too.

And, one stupid query-as we wash/clean with paste or anything, will the silver be absorbed by them or it lose its quality in the long run??

Rgds.

5. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Skin products

Dear Ami,
    I am not sure exactly which brand you are asking for. But try GNC they carry a lot of aloe vera skin gels. Hope this helps.
    Happy shopping.
    Love,

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

For Anjana

Hi Anjana,

The silver polishing cloths( actually it is called silver wipes), are Connoiseurs. A pack costs about 6 bucks. They are usually stacked up next to the check out stands. Nice to use it wipe the silver ware before displaying it. But it is not a substitute for the toothpaste.

V

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

For Ami,

Dear Ami,

Using toothpaste will not affect the quality or quantity of silver in any way.

V

8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks.

Thank you Vandhana so much..

9. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi ,

cleaning silver items : I wash all my silver items with sabeena powder which i carry from india every time i visit.The tarnish is lost immediately and turn to normal silver color.

Colgate Tooth Powder (for shining): Colgate tooth powder is an excellent product for silver article shining.Most of the jewellery shops use this for extra shining on daily basis.I came to know this from one of the jewellery shop owner in Bangalore when i purchased ashta lakshmi kalisam for varalakshmivratham.First wash and dry the silver article.Then Take a spoon full of colgate tooth powder on a dry wash cloth and rub it all over the article slowly.Then finally wipe of the article with another clean and dry cloth just to remove the powder left over on the article if any.The article shines like a new one.

To store the silver articles : wash and dry the articles first.Then wrap it in a plastic food wrap and keep it in a safe place.They don't tarnish at all as long as they are wrapped in the food wrap.

Hope this helps u friends,
    Cheers,
    Vaishu

10. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Hi Vaishnavi,
    Thanks for the tips esp. the Colgate one ; seems so easy !
    Do you have any similar for copper vessels ....after just one usage, they have become so dark and unrecognisable .... :icon_frown: tried many tips, nothing worked !

Thanks,
    Dew.