1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning routine

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by ramyanand, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    nice thread.
    Latha- your idea is very good, using table mats in the fridge. I shall start it immediately.
    I am not a very clean freak, do total cleaning when time permits. My hubby would be happy if I clean him too daily- he is such a type. So no help from him. Son has no time at all from his studies.
    There is a maid who does the sweeping and mopping and vessels daily. Staircase-twice sweeping and washing once a week.
    Vaccum etc. as and when needed.
    But one of my friend, Chithra, keeps her house spick and span. Her routine is very good one- only that I am not able to follow it.
    She lives in Ambattur and on the roadside. So dust is a big problem (me too).

She has a 4 BR,Kitchen, Hall,Dinning flat. She does all the work herself. She devotes one day in a week to one room and cleans it completely that day and then sweep and mop the other rooms also daily. So the house is always clean. I envy her very much. She washes clothes also daily and is a stickler for time and routine. There are 6 members in her family and cooking also she does well.She also cleans the toilets daily.
    But this seems like All work and no play. She has a computer with internet connection, but do not know how to use it. She does only this house hold chores all the time and does not go out except for home shopping. She does not watch tv at all, no movies or even songs or comedy scenes etc.

As my hubby goes in shifts, I can never plan anything at my home. So complete choas and it is like disastor management almost daily. As I have to do the work of the boys (hubby and son) it gets boring sometimes and I too give in. Again, I will motivate myself and start again. As much as I try, I am not able to bring a routine in my life. Hopeless!

2. humerarouf

humerarouf Senior IL'ite

hi,that was a bright idea keeping table mats in the fridge.i dont have a regular schedule.hard surfaces e.g kitchen counter ,floor are mopped everyday,childrens room everyday,laundry weekly,rest when ever i get ample time usually off-work days.not very bad,is that?humera

3. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai friends

Idea of using Table mats in the fridge, thats not my idea , but my sister's ,after getting wishes from u all, i started feeling guilty.........SORRY YAAR PLS FORGIVE ME

latamurali

4. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Latha,
    Yep wonderful tip...but recently i have started using aluminium foil for lining the fridge shelves...bit expensive huh...

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all,

i clean everything myself. (reason fil brings out his magnifying lens to check everything from hall ---kitchen:bang:bang) I have to remind him i am not a healthy person.. i do as much as my health permits for the day... Knowing the servant maid these days....

Lata, your table mats idea is nice one...but i have to change the fridge..which fil is keeping as reminder of mil...:bang:bang i hope to convince him to allow me to exchange sometime.....

so ... kitchen, sink..everyday....bathrooms regular washing everyday..but vigourous one once in a 15days. bedspreads, pillow cover once in 15 days. netlons once in a month...ac filters once in 15days. fridge once i in a month. the shelves in the kitchen once a month...

WAshing machine dismantling and cleaning the sediments...once in two months (I personally suggest all people in chennai specially, to open the filters and clean..not just cleaning the drum...you will really ..:eek:eek:eek...i have dismantled the whole wm...that is why i can talk about it.. so gals if you dont know at least give it for a full service one in 6 months..)

Mixie once in two days.

Gas table everyday i clean. once in a month open the whole thing clean the pipes so that i can have clean flow of gas....

Microwave once in a week. with little baking soda from the inside. then also boil a piece of lemon in a bowl of water..to remove smells....Once a month, try to clean the bulb...the sides and also the filament...

(wow...i do this much....:? not bad.. i need a pat on my back....)

6. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

yep shanthi...you really deserve a pat...Gr8 job...

7. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

hi varloo,humera and shanvy!!
    Thanx for sharing u'r routines
    varloo---How come u'r friend manage to doooo all the chores ?????i really envy her...
    Im also not a cleaning freak and ive noticed some r cleaning maniacs:eek I sometimes become veryyyyyy lazy and i feel guilty for it:-(
    Shanvy--Way to go!!U ofcourse deserve a pat!!

Cheers
    RAmya

8. minnu2006

minnu2006 New IL'ite

Latha's tip about the tablemats is gr8 - i am going to shop for mismatched bright ones so my kid will have a blast when she opens the fridge!!

With a young one and a job, I hardly get 2 hrs in the evening for cooking, cleaning and spending time with family..so mostly end up postponing the cleaning until everything piles up every 3rd day :-((

9. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,

Latha!excellent tip for keeping the fridge clean!I use table mats in cabinets,racks,and on couner top for keeping blender,mixer,wetgrinder,oilcans.But never got such a thought of placing them in the fridge.!Thanx for ur brilliant tip!

About my routine!

Daily-Clean and mop Kitchen floor,floor at the entrance door,stove top.Wash kitchen sink at the end of the day and wipe the countertop daily.
    Vaccum-every 2-3days
    Weekly-Washing the bath rugs,cleaning the toilets,washbasins,mopping the bath room floor,patio cleaning,
    Fridge-regularly every 15days,sometimes after 3weeks if my son keeps it clean!
    Monthly-cabinets cleaning ,comforters washing etc.
    Laundry-Depends on the load.2-3 times a week!

I need to overcome one bad habit of laziness in folding clothes.Can anyone tell me how do u organize ur clothes at home????

thanq,
    vaishu

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  10. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

:eek:mg:

Do we have some cleanliness freaks here or what? I used to be one before I bought a townhome (3 levels) and before I had a baby. :spin
    My husband does laundry - once a week; 2 - 3 loads - ladies please do not envy me!
    I fold my son's clothes as soon as possible. I fold our clothes once in 2 or 3 weeks - what are guest bedrooms with queen-size beds for. :idea:
    My husband does the dish washing - he hates, absolutely hates the dishwasher!!!Kitchen sink and counter tops I clean daily. Kitchen floor twice a week or when my 10 month old son starts picking up and putting things in his mouth. :redface:
    Vacuum once a week - maybe or when guests come.
    Patio and deck - well we get lots of rain and wind in Virginia - so it is taken care of.
    So what the heck do I do - I work part time, cook daily and take care of my son - night duty is still mine.

I really should quit Indusladies - I am a disgrace. But then I would miss our dear chitra and her recipes!

Gayathri

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007