1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Hardwater deposits in Bathrooms! Oh my God !

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by tinku, Nov 24, 2011.

1. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Hi ILs,

This thread might have already been discussed. But I am even now helpless.
    Somebody pls help me out. I am living in an area where hardwater is used in bathrooms. Oh my God! And my bathroom is a place I dread to be in.

Though I challenged my bathrooms using various products, none have really removed the hardwater deposits well.

My inexhaustive list of products that I have tried and am still trying goes hereunder:

1. Harpic
    2. Sabeena & Harpic (This works only for stainless steel taps and not the floor tiles)
    3. Pine sol + Baking soda + apple cidar vinegar (this only gives a good aroma)
    4. Easy Off bang - Oh! only I get banged
    5. HCL Acid (tested in a small area without knowing how it wud work on tiles - I was a stupid then)
    6. Cif Cleaner (Again a waste of time and energy)

Pls help me. I am fed up experimenting all these products. All the cleaning brand companies can come and ask me when they are making a survey on their product line.

Dont Indian companies devise a really good Hardwater cleaner?

I have googled and known that Mr.Muscle, Cif, Pine sol and everything works well, but nothing really worked with my bathroom.

Its only a thin layer of deposit here and there, but I want my bathroom to be free from the deposits.

Hope you guys could really feed some inputs on a real good brand that can really erase a thin fine layer of fine hardwater deposit in my bathrooms.

2. lathakishore

lathakishore Junior IL'ite

hi, i refer direct acid wiith sponze ofcourse you should wear gloves and slippers. acid you can get from spensors, victory bazar ets.....may be your hcl is same like mine...but it will work better than branded ones

3. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Tinku

Very true Easy-Off bang is really useless.It removes nothing not even a bit.So whenever I see the ad, I get mad:rant

We too use Harpic but you shouldn't be using Harpic on pipes since it will rust soon.I read here in this forum and started using tooth paste as suggested by a poster.It will shine like new ones.Try it.Otherwise no idea.

4. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Hi lathakishore,
    Thanks for peeping in. The HCL acid slightly erodes the tiles. So am again afraid to use it.

Hi Sowmya234,
    Even I too feel irritated when I see the Easy off bang ad. But in my experience the stainless steel taps and fixtures shine with harpic, but I couldnt find a solution for the hardwater deposits on floor tiles in the bathroom.
    Anyway thanks a lot.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

tinku,

I also live in a place with very hard water.

the best thing we can do or rather i follow. btw i have white tiles on the walls..and a blue antiskid on the floor..and it is 1 year and still remain the same.

do not use too much acid..it will remove the sealant in between the tiles and result in leaking in the next floor if you are in the first.

you get tiles brushes or the rough bristled broader brushes from scotch brite. I just use a little bit of all purpose cleaner like cif and brush in between the tiles with the brush..and for the flour tiles i use a broader cleaning bad which is rough and softer one for the walls. i use the same cleaner and rub each tile individually it is tough, but works well.

and never allow sediments to form..keep cleaning them everyday or alternate day and go for extensive cleaning once in 15 days. if the sediments are hard to remove, use a putty scraper as i discussed in another post in the same forum..it will not scratch the tile yet remove the sediments. somebody who does tile/bathroom cleaning adviced me to rub a little coconut oil on the floor tiles after cleaning so that they will not become whitish..

for the taps i clean them using shampoo, yes i have a bottle of cheaper quality exclusively for this.. and then mop the whole thing with a cloth. the drops of water left on the tap remain as spots later..this is once a week.. and apart from this do not allow water deposits harden at the rim,this will remove the sheen from those shiny taps in the long run.

3 people like this.
  6. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,
    Thank u very much for the nice explanation. But just cleaning tiles with rough bristled brushes and a cleaner like CIF will do the trick of removing the hardwater deposits that have already formed well?

Anyway I can try it too. Why should I leave this option?

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

scrape away the already formed scales with a putty scraper..i have mentioned and even shown a picture of the same in another thread regarding cleaning bathroom tiles. after that it is about regular cleaning and maintenance. when you do so, the scales due to hardness will not form..

8. Anyuna

Anyuna Silver IL'ite

Try using Harpic white ,its the one with bleach in it .It works for me ,don't try if your tiles are hifi .Try a little in a corner first.

9. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Ya Shanvi,
    Will first look in to your thread and decide. I think I have to buy the putty scrapper from the hardware store if I am not wrong.

And Anyuna,
    What is harpic white actually meant for? For bathrooom tiles or for the washbasins and toilets?

Thanks both of u for trying to help out.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

tinku,

i got myself a new putty scraper and it comes with a nice handle..and costs 28rs. and if used diligently does not scratch the tile..