1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Feeding bottles?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Selvi, Jun 25, 2006.

1. shrivanchi

shrivanchi New IL'ite

Hi,

cleaning in dishwasher sounds good,but i've a doubt.I'm using cascade gel,it works good.But I can smell the bleach odour while its running.Is there any chances of odour or soap/bleach residue in the feeding bottles? My kids are already grown up, they were in singapore then, so used the bottle brush and sterlising in hot water.
    Just in health point of view, i'm raising this doubt.thanks

shrivanchi

2. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

I dont know I dont like to use dish washer even to wash our normal kitchen vessels.. Read somewhere that dishwasher is not safe to use.. So w.r.t baby bottles I prefer cleaning them with our hands and sterilising them in boiling water and drying in a rack.. hops this helps !!

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Shrivanchi: Dishwasher uses very, very hot water and all new generation bottles are top rack safe. Bleach smell is an issue, but eco-friendly products tend to be bleach-free. Bleach-free dishwashing powder detergents are available. That could be an option for you.
    We had a DW for a while and cleaned top rack cleanable stuff of our DS in it... I never found any issue with bleach smell or soap/bleach residue in DS's utensils.

4. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Re: Feeding bottle....

Thanks Poonam.

Did your Paed tell why bottles are bad??

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I never had any issues with dishwasher. I actually felt that DW cleans much better than hand-wash. Mine has a sani-rinse option as well, but I do not use that regularly. I just make sure I rinse the nipples again to make sure there is no residue and let them all air dry on a counter on paper towels.

6. shrivanchi

shrivanchi New IL'ite

Hi Tikka,

Thank you.:idea any idea about the eco-friendly dw liq.brand name,that available in US market?

shrivanchi

7. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Tikka,

Could you please tell me where can i get the Bleach-free dishwashing powder detergents in chennai and what is the name of it? Also please help me on how to clean the breast pump (I have a manual one) and feeding bottles...Currently my Sterilizer is at my In-laws place and i am at my mom's place...i kept my Avent bottle in the boiling water and saw a small crack in the bottle's bottom...

8. MOTHERNATURE

MOTHERNATURE New IL'ite

Hi Selvi, I used to wash my bottles and breast pump with regular dish liquid, and then sterilize them. But for how long can one do that? Yet i never got ride of that smell, i am sure you know what i am talking about! until i used Dapple liquid soap. Since its all natural and not harmful for my babies i leave my bottles soak in water mixed with some of the dapple liquid soap for a couple of hours. No need to sterilize nor brush hard to remove the residue, i let them dry on my dish rack. And i am done.It saves me so much time ( and money!) but the best part is that i finally got ride of that smell!and no need to buy new bottles so often.

9. veenat

veenat New IL'ite

hi,
    i used to wash bottles with dish wash liquid, sterilise in cooker,my son age is going to be three , still he is using bottles , i tried mny times to shift him from bottle to cup, i failed ,by tht time he stopped drinking milk, so i stoped to compel him drinking in cup,so still now i am cleaning and sterlising bottles , when i was in india i used sabena powder, now i m using dish wash liquid, i dont know this is correct liquid for wshing bottles , but i am using

10. marrgg

marrgg Bronze IL'ite

Padmini,

Even i faced the same problem. When the water boils the bottles are pushed to the top of vessel, due to vacuum the bottle cracks. :rant

Regards

Rani