1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Feeding bottles?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Selvi, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: Feeding bottle....

I think you should not leave the bottles in the water. Place the washed bottles in boiling water for 5 minutes or so then remove them and let them dry by themselves (don't wipe with a cloth or anything).

Latha

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I agree with Latha. Don't leave them in the water, can harbor bacteria. Sterilize them, and then air dry them. After they are dry, don't put the lids back on otherwise the bottles tend to get smelly.

I merged your thread with an already existing on the same topic. Do read through this post too for more info on this topic.

Raj

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I used to was them with a bit of dishwashing liquid, and sterilize in the microwave with the Medela Microwave steam bags. I found these bags very useful. After sterlilization, lay them out on the countertop (or somewhere else) to air dry. The Dr. Browns brand (if you are in the US) has a tiny brush to clear the straw/vent, and I found this very useful to clean other brands also - along with a bottle brush and nipple brush will get to all those tough places.

After about 6 months, I started using the dishwasher to clean the bottles.

4. mui kanva

mui kanva Senior IL'ite

bonk
    Thanku Latha..
    I will better not leave it in the water itself hereafter.. I will let them dry..

5. mui kanva

mui kanva Senior IL'ite

Thanku Raj
    I will do as you have suggested..

6. Pragadha

Pragadha Senior IL'ite

i never used any bottle cleaning liquid. i will wash it with hot water and clean it with brush and put it in a container with hot water for few minutees and dry it after drying i will fix the parts. I have 4 to 5bottles.

7. mitsviki

mitsviki Senior IL'ite

HI mommy..

i have a 3 week old daughter and i have been feeing her in bottle and now using SNS.....

is there any specific soap here in the USA to wash the bottle with....suggestion welcome
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

I am now giving my LO expressed breast milk once a day. What I do for cleaning is to use dishwashing liquid in warm water and then boiling it in water for 5 mins. I have a microwave steam sterilizer but am not using it as my pump parts do not fit in the sterilizer. Is this fine?

Also I remember reading somewhere that we should not boil the teats? Is this true?

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

rekha i am washing the pump parts, teats as well as bottles with hot soapy water, rinse them and then boil them for 5-7 mins
    but i think i might altogether stop using bottles now, and only pump and feed her when she can sort of sit upright in a sippy....
    yest i met her paed, and told him i might be joining office once she is 8-9 months old, he asked me to stop using bottles altogether and said...maam lets chart of her diet at around 6 months n see what has to be done.. lol

10. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Rekha, I used to wash all bottle parts in dishwasher, and then sterilize with the microwave steam sterilizer. I do that for the nipples too. So far no issues.