1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Circumcision For Boys In Us

Discussion in 'Kids Korner' started by viki123, Sep 7, 2016.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

All,

We decided against circumcision when my DS was born in 2014. Now he is 2 and DH is considering getting him circumcised. He is worried about peer-pressure when is goes to school.
    I am still against it as no one in my family is circumcised, if my DS wants to get it done when he goes to school I am okay with it.

Is peer-pressure about circumcision is very his in US ? If your boy is not circumcised how did you handle the situation ?

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@viki123
    Hi
    My DH and I were in the same boat at the time of my DS birth.
    I don't have any reference to say that there is peer pressure- but I do know few of my American female friends back in the day had discussed rejecting men coz of uncircumcised penis. ( I was in the midwest for few years)

I was insisting on circumcision as in the future DS may not feel like he is fitting in. However, we didn't get our DS circumcised.
    Our baby care instructor told us something along this line--
    Like, circumcision is a trend. The trends start in West / East coast and slowly rest of the US catches up. Right now the trend in the East/ West coast is not to get circumcised. But the vast majority of the US still believes circumcision is the best way because of the 90's trend.

So trend or no trend--We have left it up to our DS if he feels and wants it in future... maybe we will revisit this issue again.

3. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@blindpup10
    I never knew about circumcision until i was pregnant. When i heard it was done mainly for religious purpose i did not like to but left is to DH. Even my DH did not go for it as he was worried by pain caused by that process. When we said we are not getting him circumcised, my gynec said "good, less pain to worry about for baby".

Now my DH started thinking about peer-pressure here in schools. But I wan to leave it for DS if he wants he can get it done.

4. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

we didn't do it for DS. What i have read is it prevents infection and also helps better sex. No one in our family had it done, so we didn't do it. Will worry about the future later. Also, heard that the operation is more painful as one grows old.

5. vidyanurse

vidyanurse New IL'ite

Otherthan religious reasons, circumcision being done for medical reasons such as infections, tearing, tight foreskin etc. It has no connection with sex. It neither increases sexual pleasure or decrease. In india, most of the kids most kids were getting examined their penis for such probs. If they had any probs, they will be get circumcised. I have even seen some married men get it done. Nothing wrong in that.

6. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

No. We didn't get our son circumcised. I read a lot about it and felt it unnecessary. It seems like a trend here in the US and in most cases not for religious reasons. In most cases, it is because the dads are circumcised, and they just do it for their kids so they dont feel different. And also peer pressure. But now it seems the case is not to go for surgery and keep intact. And any ways, how many times boys would be comparing their penises to feel peer pressure.
    I think it is really painful procedure to put a newborn through for cosmetic reasons.

7. vidyanurse

vidyanurse New IL'ite

Mostly they would do the comparison in change rooms.. but mostly they will compare only sizes. And they can always get it done at any age. As a nurse, I have assisted people with all age group.