1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cia

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

[FONT=&amp]One of my favorite authors in IL (RamyaMusic) quoted Nirvanashtakam in her response to my earlier snippet that triggered me to dive deep into the invaluable teachings of Adi Sankara. I have spent nearly a year learning the teachings of Vivekachoodamani through a very learned friend of mine. There is a proverb in Tamil that says, “Poovudam serndha naarum manamperum” meaning that the string that we use to tie the flowers will also have fragrance. Every time, I interact with someone like RamyaMusic, I learn so much in life.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    “manobuddhy-ahamkarachittaninaham,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]na cha shrotrajihvena cha ghrananetre;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]na cha vyomabhumirnatejonavayuh,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]chidanandarupahshivohamshivoham.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“I am neither the mind, intelligence, ego or memory, [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Neither the ears nor the tongue, nor the senses of smell and sight;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Neither ether nor air, nor fire or water nor earth:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]I am Eternal Bliss and Awareness—I am Siva! I am Siva!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“ahamnirvikalponirakararupo[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]vibhurvyapyasarvatrasarvendriyanam[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]sada me samatvamnamuktirnabandhah[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]chidanandarupahshivohamshivoham”[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“I have neither dualities nor shape or form;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]I am present everywhere and pervade all the senses; [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]I am always equanimous; [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]I am neither liberation nor bondage; [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]I am of the nature of Pure Consciousness-Bliss-Absolute, [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]I am Shiva, I am (verily) Shiva.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]5 (sense) organs of perception, (jnanendriyas), 5 organs of action (karmendriyas), 5 life-breaths (pancha-pranas), 5 sensory faculties (pancha tanmatras), mind (manas), intellect (buddhi), ego (Ahamkara) and memory (chiththa) are embedded into every human life and without them human beings can’t function. These 24 constituents are divided into gross body (sthoola deha), subtle body (shukshma deha) and causal body (kaarana deha).
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The mind itself assumes the subtle form consisting of 4 aspects namely, mind, intellect, memory and ego. When the mind is engaged in wavering thought processes, it is called manas. When it is busy in the process of inquiry and discrimination between right and wrong, it is named as Buddhi. When it functions as a repository of memories, it is known as Chiththa. When it identifies itself with the physical body, assuming the doership for various activities, it goes by the name of Ahamkara. The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] body called Mahaakarana (the Over-Mind) is self-luminous, effulgent in its original form and called Uniki meaning it is a Being that is self-knowing. Because of its self-knowing nature, it is also called Eruka (awareness). The physical, subtle and causal bodies belong to waking (jaagrat), dreaming (swapna) and deep sleep (sushupti) state of forgetfulness. These three bodies together is called “Shetra” (field). This is where the battle to overcome the worldly desires and attachment takes place. The true form of every being is Constant Integrated Awareness (“CIA”) and it is also called Shetrajna (The Divine Spirit).
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]These are also divided into Pancha Koshas known as annamaya kosha (food sheath), pranamaya kosha (vital-air sheath), manamaya kosha (mental sheath), vignanamaya kosha (intellectual sheath) and anandamaya kosha (bliss sheath).
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Every life should view the purpose as liberating the divine being residing inside each of us. It is encrypted with the actions performed earlier by first three bodies. Thoughts are generated based on this encryption and human beings perform actions that fulfill the wishes emanating in the form of desires. Human beings are given freewill to pursue their thoughts into actions or recognize their true Being and embrace the qualities inherent in them known as Sathya, Dharma, Shanti, Prema & Ahimsha. Therefore, in order to break the cycle of birth and death, breaking the pattern of thoughts converting itself into desires becomes essential. Besides that every human being creates attachment to the world which itself is nothing but mind’s perception. We have to watch our thoughts as though they have nothing to do with us, perform actions unattached to the results of such actions. It is impossible for human beings to be without thoughts or actions but human beings have the ability to convert them into good thoughts and actions. Human beings also are blessed with experiences that would help them pursue whatever they wish to pursue.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]How do we get answer to the question, “Who am I?” proposed by Ramana Maharishi. Adi Sankara answers that we have to eliminate everything we are not. We have to develop firm conviction that we, have no form, are above the mind and senses and are unaffected by the pleasure and pain experienced by the body. We have to believe that we are neither bonded nor liberated. Everything we possess is recyclable except the divine, illuminous and self-knowing spirit. We keep moving from one cloth (body) to another in each life with our true Self longing to merge with the Universal Absolute.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]My Guru said, “God is the indweller of all beings and the entire universe permeated by God. You should realize that you are born to experience your own innate divinity and not merely to enjoy worldly pleasures. You have to take to the path of spirituality to experience your innate divinity. If you lack in spiritual outlook, in fact, it amounts to betrayal of God. God doesn’t expect you to worship Him but He expects you to lead an ideal and purposeful life”
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]He also said, “You are not the body, mind, intellect or the diminutive ego. You are the infinite Universal Absolute. You have to establish yourself firmly, unshakably in this awareness; that is your destiny, your duty to yourself. Your reality is the Atma, which is a wave in the sea called Paramatma. The sole object of human existence is to visualize that reality and the relationship between the wave and the sea. All other activities are trivial; you share them with birds and beasts. But, this is the unique privilege of man. He has clambered through all the steps in the ladder of evolution in order to inherit this high destiny. If all the years between birth and death are fritted away in seeking food and shelter, comfort and pleasure as animals do, man is condemning himself to a further life-sentence”.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The best formula for becoming free = control of senses + control of mind + performing actions unattached to the results + equanimity – desires – attachments.[/FONT]

4 people like this.
  2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    Your snippet is a miniature vedanta text containing the essence of viveka choodamani.The last sentence of the snippet is the essence of Advaitha and Bhagavatgita.
    As per Ramana,,the enquiry'Who am I?"alone will destroy all other thoughts.The stick used for stirring the burning pyre will get itself get destroyed in the end.So also the 'enquiry'.itself will get destroyed ultimately.Then there will be'Self-realization'.
    Self realization is possible not only to sathwic people but also to persons who have committed lot of sins knowingly or unknowingly.
    Without yielding to the doubt 'Is it possible or not?'one should persistently hold on to 'self enquiry'.

There are not two minds-one good and the other evil;The mind is only one.It is the residual impressions that are of two kinds-auspicious and inauspicious.When the mind is under the influence of auspicious impressions it is called good.When it is under the influence of inauspicious impressions,it is regarded as evil.Is your head reeling?

When we hear of some unintelligible expressions like'mind, soul, consciousness,self realization etc etc;we become totally confused and seem to think that it is beyond the reach of ordinary mortals like us.
    But what the great philosophers advise is " First hold on to the thought that it is possible.This confidence alone leads us further in the process of 'self enquiry'.

To read about, the process of self enquiry appears simple;but directing the thought inward (antharmukha),retaining the mind inwards is the most difficult one, however one is confident about it.

If one is constantly engrossed in the self enquiry process of'Who am I? '
    The question arises-who will cook food?
    who will earn money?
    Who will bring up the children?Are we competent enough to be engaged in 'self-enquiry' simultaneously along with our duties?For 99% of us, a definite'NO' will be the answer.Otherwise there would have been thousands of Ramanas and Sankaras all the world over.

Considering all these things,the only mantra-Do your duty without harming others-seems to the most practical mantra-that can be applied to one and all, the elite, non elite, the bright and the dull all alike.
    call it pragmatism or incapability- it is the reality.
    Ettu suraikkai karikku udhavathu"--is an oft quoted Tamil saying.The gourd in paper cannot be used to make curry.

Jayasala 42

5 people like this.
  3. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Viswa Sir for the thread.
    Thanks also to Jayasala madam for the good reply.

For me I am too illiterate to know much about whatever is written. It will take probably years for me understand the depth of whatever you have written, even though I can understand the essence of your thread.

I think I am too much occupied with the aspects of regular life issues and when depressed I try to think just as what Jayasala had written. Do your work which you are supposed to do properly in this life and try your best to be a good person. I am not that much involved into reading the texts which you have written. Anyhow thanks for sharing. Good for people like me read, a complete novice in these issues.

It starts with family. Be compassionate and do whatever you do either at home or work with your soul and be dedicated. The basic quality of any human being is not hurt others either in words or deeds. But how many are able to do it. We hurt others eithers intentionally or unintentionally. We need to be first a good human being and the rest will be coming to you. I remember you had written how a person needs to be in another thread. IL forum of relationship is perfect example of people having difficulties in our life. How many are blessed to have good atleast pleasant relationships with their partners, in laws etc. In addition there are many people who are afflicted with health issues beyond comprehension. Bringing up kids as good humans is also a very essential part. It is required to make them as good citizens of future. If all the people are compassionate and understand other people a great amount of emotional trauma and sufferings will definitely be reduced and people have time to think about the spiritual things. But when one is preoccupied by so many things of daily life there is very little time to even read or think about the spiritual issues.

Everyone has to do some kind of service to the humanity in my belief. There are too many people around the world who are not blessed even with the basic things which are required for a living. It is a great puniyam to serve those people. I have seen unfortunate souls who are here and feel pleasure in serving them and it somehow helps me think that there is a purpose of living in this world. People have to do these things and they will learn that there is purpose in everyone's life. Service can be in many aspects in society and will give a lot of people peace of mind. That has been taught by many religions.

For me sometimes I think I probably would never understand the complex teachings of all the spiritual texts. Hope whether time will be helping me to understand.

4 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for your response. As you know, there are only four ways to gain knowledge and they are Pratyaksha, Anumana, Upamana and Agama. Unfortunately, the human mind is unable to comprehend something that is formless. Inference is difficult for me as I am not as knowledgeable. Nothing else is comparable to find the answer to "Who am I?" question. Therefore, I rely upon traditional knowledge for my inquiries. I could be wrong but I have chosen that path to find the answer to the question.

I agree with you that there are not two minds one as good and another as bad. But what I struggle with is not how to differentiate between them but how to overcome bad thoughts. That is a life long battle for me. I know thoughts are nothing but encryption that happened because of my past actions.

I understand your point about holding on to the thought it is possible to find answers. For every ambition, it is essential to believe that it is possible and even if it is difficult one should not consider that as impossible.

The very fact that I am writing about it in a forum looking for specific answers is an indication that I don't consider turning my mind inwards is easy. I know the mind drifts away to the outside world without a conviction to look within. Control of mind is a recipe most suggests and even monotonous action like recitation of the name of the Lord is suggested to control the mind. Controlling it is so difficult leave alone directing it to look inward. My Guru said, "Mind is like a guest in a wedding who was not invited either by the bride or bridegroom's family. Two families assume that as a close relative of each other and once they get together to find out the truth, the mind disappears".

By no means I am suggesting one should indulge in self inquiry 24/7. But it is my understanding that every soul is aspiring to find its origin and that inner urge is not going to disappear whether a person is dull or elite and bright or dull. That inner urge is going to show up in everyone's life and for some it might show up early and for others it might show up late. But no one can escape that urge to find the truth. Even to do my duty with sincerity and dedication and not to hurt others, I need to train my mind for which I need knowledge. I have to enjoy the pleasure of serving the seniors, children and poor and feel the happiness in me that makes me understand that unconditional love towards a fellow being not only helps me understand all are one but also gives a great sense of fulfillment.

Everyone need not have to become Sri Adi Sankara or Ramana Maharishi but everyone will have to face the urge to know the truth. Getting that knowledge is not to preach to others but to better my life and satisfy my inner urge.

What you have quoted at the end is a good example of having the knowledge and not practically applying in life.

Thiruvalluvar said:

"Aiyathin neengith thelindhaarkku vaiyathin
    Vaanam naniya thudaithu"

The enlightened ones, who have broken through the entanglement of the doubts, delusions and tribulations of this world are nearer the bliss of heaven or final release, than they are to this very earth and its material things.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Vaidehi,

I am an illiterate too and I have ocean of knowledge in front of me that is daunting. As I mentioned earlier, I write to learn more and more. We are all sailing in the same boat being completely preoccupied with the family. Spirituality is not a profession to pursue and it is nothing but refining our thoughts, words, actions and building unblemished character in our day to day life. It has a great practical relevance to make the life better.

Gaining knowledge from the learned people and applying it in real life itself is a great virtue. Even to lead a life to do our duty and don't hurt others require some knowledge. Bhagavad Gita suggests to perform actions skillfully, lovingly and selflessly without expecting the fruits of actions. When we apply this rich knowledge, we often find the difficulties in applying them thereby giving us an opportunity to introspect.

Who determines how to be a good human being? Is that my mind or intellect or divine consciousness? If I listen to my mind, I am pretty sure it is going to tell me what it says is the right thing to do. If I consult the intellect, it is going to discriminate but sometimes succumb to the pressure of my emotional mind. It is difficult but not impossible to find the divine consciousness in me but I have to make a sincere effort to have dharshan of this divine consciousness. I need the help of scriptures and elders guidance to make progress in life. What prevents me from making progress? It is my contentment that I am doing the right thing that prevents me to try anything further. I have to apply contentment in desires and attachments but not in gaining knowledge. My life's purpose is to leave the world as a better person and for that I need help from learned people.

Of course, everyone has to serve the people who are in need. That gives a great practical experience to see ourselves in others and understand the fact that origin of every life is one and the same. In order to gain knowledge one doesn't have to renounce the life of Grahastha to pursue it full time. It is about learning something new everyday and applying it in our worldly life. It is about introspecting to find our own faults. It is about controlling the mind and senses. It is about remaining calm in both pleasure and pain. It is about moderation and austerity. It is about holding everything in trust. Hand in the society and head in the forest is what learned people suggest. There are so many grahasthas who successfully do their duties and still pursue spirituality with rigor and discipline. The first step in finding the truth is knowing where I am at. This step helps me to seek what I need. As Smt. Jayasala mentioned in her response, believing it is possible is the first step. When we all make baby steps towards understanding the truth, eventually truth reveals itself.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

Dear Viswa Sir,
    I am humbled by your post. In fact, I should say "Poovodu serndhu naarum manakkum".. I am always inspired by your writings.

By your topic "Cia", I expected some topic on farewell (See you - Cia), but was surprised by this Continuous Integrated Awareness. Very nice of you to compile and share your learning in a snippet.

When a man said to Ramana Maharishi, "I have worries", he asked "WHO has worries".
    That was a starting point of initiation for the man. He went in search of "Who am I".
    I personally strongly believe that you should either be blessed to go in search of self-enquiry (which is very rare), or something really really bad must happen to you (which is in most cases) for you to go in search of "Who am I".

I get reminded of this Dhoha in Hindi that says
    "Dhukh me sumiran sab karai. Sukh me kare na koi.
    Jo sukh me sumiran karai, tho dukh ka hi hai koi?"
    (Extracted from memory. Pardon some mistakes)
    Meaning - Everyone thinks of God when something bad happens. But no one thinks of God at good times. If someone can think of God during good times, there is no such bad thing for him. That is, he has got past the thoughts of good and bad.

To get back into topic, unless you are initiated or inclined (either naturally or after a terrible incident) all these spiritual texts would not make much sense. Only when you are inclined, they give a totally different color. As @Jayasala42 mam rightly said, till then doing your day to day activities with love and compassion is the way. In a way, this action of love and compassion is much greater than understanding the scripts.

When Vallalar said "Vaadiya payirai kanda podhellam vadinen" meaning "When I saw the plants that are dried up under the sun's heat, I became dull", there was unconditional love and exceptional compassion in him. If one is able to practise such qualities in day to day life, that in itself is a great way to spirituality. After all "Anbe Sivam" "Love is God".

Your post is awesome to read for the curious minds who want to know the mechanics of mind and spirituality. Your compilation shows your interest and the depth of your reading. And also your child like enthusiasm to share these invaluable scripts with us. Thank you sir.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    3 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Ramya,

Thank you for your response. I am so sorry that my heading indicated farewell. May be it is apt from the point of view that we are aiming to find farewell from the cycle of birth and death. I am not very knowledgeable to share my thoughts in a structured fashion and all my snippets at best are abstract thoughts and a cry for help.

Thank you for sharing Ramana Maharishi's step to initiate a man into spirituality. Similar to that I heard a story where a man decided to use his lost dime to come to Thiruvannamalai to have dharshan of Ramana Maharishi and get initiated. After staying patiently for 30 days, he never got any initiation. He asked Ramana Maharishi for salvation and He replied, "Go back home" and he got very irritated by the answer. Later many told him that what Maharishi was asking is to search for his origin which was an initiation by itself.

You are right that one requires an aptitude to dive deep into the scriptures or should be initiated by a Guru. In fact, my Guru's constant teaching of right living got drilled into my head over a period of time. Thinking about God all the time is also drilled into my mind thanks to the family background I possess and the family I am married to. But sometimes, I feel I lack when I see my wife's devotion to God.

I agree saturating ourselves with unconditional love is the essence of all teachings but unfortunately, I have a mind that has the knack of taking me away by making choices who I should love and who I should not. Even though I know what is right, I am unable to apply it in real life. It is nice to hear that I should have love and compassion for everyone but when it comes to applying it, I fail miserably. I am trying to be honest in my response here. Those who are able to achieve it doesn't require any further teaching.

Vallalar's mindset is what one should achieve in real life. Thank you for your appreciation of the post and I hope and pray to be able to achieve everything you said in your appreciation.

Viswa

8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa sir, I have read about the Indriyas, Pancha Koshas & Maharishis teachings separately and only your snippet provided the link between the two. Above all I like the formula you provided for becoming free.

1 person likes this.
  9. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

Dear Viswa sir,
    Farewell to the cycle of birth and death.. Nice explanation...

True. Applying unconditional love in daily life is difficult. I try to retrospect at the end of the day about all the people I interacted with on that day. When I hear something bad about someone I would have judged them. I would have been harsh on some. I think this retrospection helps me evolve to some extent. The next time I see the same person, my attitude is a bit more kinder. But still, its a long way to go to reach that maturity.

1 person likes this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa While I don't believe in the existence of God, majority of people do and if they start believing that God exists in all beings , that could at least end an atmosphere of intolerance , hatred and rage.

2 people like this.