1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chudidhar Means Behenji/aunty??

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by anika987, Jun 25, 2017.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My friend in Mumbai after moving from abroad to USA sent me her snaps only to find her in complete western wear.Not that she did not look good but she is someone who wears Indian wear even to stop and shop when in America.When I asked her what prompted her to change ,she said " In India,these days if one is salwar clad..They are called aunty ".

That's a first!When did this happen?
    Are salwar kameez and chudidhars outdated?

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I observed that in India,college goings girls, working women and other unmarried prefer and like to wear western clothes and legging with kurthis. They want to be stylish and feel comfortable in western wear.
    I can't say Salwar Kammez or Chudidars outdated in India, but they are wearing by middle aged and married women.So if they say aunts to them also okay :)
    Why do we need to change or upset with others? I wear whatever comfortable and looks good for me.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    sindmani and anika987 like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Is legging the same as churidaar? I have noticed girls and women use leggings in place of churidaar. If anyone can enlighten me on the difference between churidaar and legging, I will then be able to comment on the aunty/behenji main question.

Meanwhile, how do women fit into those tight leggings? And more importantly, how do they get out of them? More so, in cities known for humid climate?

blissofmylife, sindmani and anika987 like this.
  4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Haha, then what about tight jeans for humid weather:p...

:) chudidhar comes with duppatta. Looks these images

Legging with kurthis
    IMG_1385.PNG

chididhars

IMG_1386.JPG

5. Rihana

:eek: I bought about 5 sets, and each has a legging, long top, and a dupatta. My shopping companion and the helpful salespeople told me it is the fashion to "mix and match"! Yikes... no wonder the shopping companion was so happy to get some points or something on her store card from my sale.. like 10 points for each Rs 1000 spent or something...they were all in cahoots! :fearscream: :rage: :screamcat:

For legging - I bought the loosest they had, and that is easy to get in and out of.

Looks like I don't know even a b c of what is the way to wear these. I shall go to a corner and cringe...

anika, sorry for hijack. : )

Naari and anika987 like this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

ha ha no probs Rihana..

By the way I heard new type of leggings have emerged..a little bit loose and not tight..
    I hardly understand the hype around leggings and why people consider that sexy (!)back atleast in Chennai and try to ban it lol.

Forget leggings.people are trying to ban the nightie ha ha:))

sindmani likes this.
  7. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

There was this social experiment in India to get women to wear sarees more often. It was called the 100 Saree Pact. Wear 100 Sarees in one year (100sareepact | a movement)

I thought, what a wonderful idea. Girls and women were sharing pictures of themselves wearing different sarees. Everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves and getting back to their roots at the same time.

Then I read an article about it and it interviewed some girls who had recently arrived in the large metropolitan cities from smaller towns. They were asked about their views on wearing sarees and the 100 Saree Pact. They were flummoxed by the whole thing. They wanted to be "modern". They wanted to come to the city so that they could wear jeans and trousers and be modern and Westernised. They did not understand why anybody would want to wear sarees and were surprised to find that the Westernised, upper-class girls were excited about wearing sarees.

It was so funny. You might expect the traditional girls to be more open to wearing sarees and the Westernised girls to be more eager to wear their jeans and trousers and what not (I shan't say skirts, as they haven't really arrived in India yet :)). But it was the opposite, perhaps the richer Westernised girls had lost greater touch with their roots and saw the saree as an external manifestation of their inward Indianness they were so keen to express. Since the dehaati girls really hadn't really lost touch with their roots, they saw no harm in wearing jeans and trousers. It symbolised the greater freedom they were getting by moving to the city.

8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry, we are getting chudi leggings. They just look like chudidhars. I bought them too. They goes well with duppatta and long top.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    anika987 and Rihana like this.
  9. Rihana

aiy aiy aiy!!! focus on OP's question. Nightie is whole another Pandora's box.

Pandora se yaad aaya.. anyone into Pandora, Chamilia, Trollbeads jewelry?

anika987 likes this.
  10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Mistt likes this.