1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a Sewing Machine - Embroidery / Normal

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by Mallika29, Oct 15, 2007.

1. muscat99

muscat99 New IL'ite

Re: sewing machine in USA

Hi Haasni,

It really depends on what you want to do with the machine. If it is stitching only, then a basic model will be OK. If you want a combination machine to do machine embroidery and stitching, the price starts around $300! Check overstock.com, and walmart.com, for a good selection and price ranges.

Good luck!

Saida

2. greeshma

greeshma New IL'ite

Sewing Machine

Hello All,

I am looking for a sewing machine. I am a beginner learning stuff. Can any of you suggest a good sewing machine which I can use for embroidery, curtains, pillows and quilting too... basically want to buy a machine suitable for all sorts of sewing. It will be helpful if you can suggest some best places to buy.

Thanks.

3. muscat99

muscat99 New IL'ite

Re: Sewing Machine

There was just a post the other day about a new machine! You can check overstock.com, and walmart.com. Also, go to local stores to see different machines. My personal favorite is the Brother se-350. You can do computerized machine embroidery, as well as regular sewing machine embroidery. It is small enough that you can travel with it.

Good luck on your machine purchase!

4. krs

krs Bronze IL'ite

Usha stitch Magic

Hi

Does Usha stitch magic can do circular stitch and if so how to do it? Can anyone explain please.

5. Vini K

Vini K Bronze IL'ite

Anyone having usha Fashion Stitch,please help!

Hi ladies,I bought a fashion stitch recently(3-4 mths ago),but have only been using regularly since the past one month.I have been facing the same problem since then,and no amount of adjusting is helping.the problem is,that I have been getting loops in the stitches below.I tried adjusting the tension dia,stitch length, and I also cleaned the feed dogs and put oil.but nothing is helping,and while the stitches on the upper side ate fine,the stitches below are forming loops all along,and the cloth is puckering too....is this a problem with the tension dial?another thing is that I think the tension dial in my machine is faulty because even if I increase the tension by turning the dial,there is no change in the speed/tightness with which the upper thread comes when I pull it for threading,does not change.please help me...am desperate to start and finish my projects but this is baffling me.hoping that some of you may have answers to my doubts, as well as suggestions on what to do..:confused2:have one more question ladies,do you adjust the thread tension dial everytime you stitch ,i mean everytime the fabric and the thread change?am just trying to find out whether aI am at fault(not knowing how to use the machine) or if my machine itself is faulty?pls help ladies!!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. Vini K

Vini K Bronze IL'ite

Re: Anyone having usha Fashion Stitch,please help!

please Ladies,anyone?

7. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Hi vini,

yes , this is a problem with the tension. I'm not sure if i own a fashion stitch. We got relocated to US within a couple of weeks of buying. So, am using an US make for the past 2 years. It's equivalent to fashion stitch.

Since i 've not workd with fashion stitch, i can only give suggestions.
    A few machines 've a tension adjustment for bobbin too. Y'r prob is with the lower stitches and the loop forming indicates tension is loose and has to be tightened and puckering indicates tension is tight and has to be lessned to a lower no..

Talk to the dealer abt this.

yes. Tension varies with the fabric. For cotton ones, tension has to be on the higher side. For synthetic ones on the lower side.

Hope u find this useful.

8. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Though I have not used the particular model... this loose thread happens when the bobin is loose. just take a small small screwdriver and tighten the bobin screw a little. and pull the thread and see... it should not be too tight nor too lose... try out and let me know...

9. Vini K

Vini K Bronze IL'ite

Sabarimathi,thanks a lot for your reply..I think I will have to talk to the dealer now.Thanks for the suggestions..I tried to adjust the tension as i said in my post,but now I am very sure that the tension dial on my machine is not working properly.

Maggi99,thanks for your response..I did tughten the bobbin scew a bit, but the free demo guy said that I need not tighten that unless the top stitches are loose..so now i have no option but to call the dealer and talk to him abt this.thanks.

10. iparis

iparis Silver IL'ite

hi vini.
    i own a usha my style sewing machine.
    once i had the same problem.
    just make sure that the bobbin thread is being guided properly.
    i did not guided the bobbin thread through its path properly and so i got loops in the botton of the stitches..