1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Choice!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Jun 3, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Sorry Racr. I feel that I had offended you. No apologies required. Please.
    I just wanted to convey the simple point that I work hard to make my verse to reflect the post or sometimes [though rare] present my views on the topic too, without offending the post. I am sort of careful in not hurting the owner of the post and most importantly, do not wish to seek more attention than the post [I don't outdo and am sure that I never will, when I respond to a good post such as yours].

No offense intended and I apologize if I hurt you. And lets stop this here, if you are ok with it. -rgs

1 person likes this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Oh RGS,

waiting this long to respond was not a good choice made by me! Now I don't know where to begin - with responses from Cheeniya sir, Viswa sir, Aspire or our dear Kamla and everyone else. That said, it seems making choices as far as material things are concerned seems fairly easy. There are times I have walked out of a store because it is too big and I cannot work on the choices it offers! As for human interactions, I have always chosen to go with my heart - good, bad or ugly!

But I am kind of intrigued with what Aspire has written here, more so since I just watched a program on how our brain makes choices normally, for everyday routine things!

And I am still thinking about what Richard Bach says here - trying to piece together for years now!

"You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self. Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.
    You're always free to change your mind and choose a different future, or a different past."

I love the way he says one is free to change mind and choose a different future or a past! Amazing. Imagine understanding choice at that level!

Thank you allowing me to ramble here.

2 people like this.
  3. rgsrinivasan

First of all, very happy to receive your feedback SRama. A big thanks for that.
    And thanks for that quote too. This line made me thinking in circles now:
    "You're always free to change your mind and choose a different future, or a different past."
    Different future - fine, I can understand.
    Different past? - Does he talk about conditioning the mind to such an extent that you only choose to take only those past events that do not depress you at all? Or, is he refering to the timeless concept? Or is that something else? Attempting to erase past troublesome memories is a fascinating idea and many of us do not even stop to think that we can choose to believe what we like to. The only risk here is going too much down the lane. Oops! I too tried to ramble though not knowing what I am talking about! :) -rgs

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Ha ha! there you go! But I do hope you noticed the disclaimer that I have put there - so no explanation from me, for now at least! Cheeniya sir has been magnanimous enough in helping me understand Bach many a time!

But then Bach is also the dude who has said this - “The world is your exercise book, the pages on which you do your sums. It is not reality, though you may express reality there if you wish. You are also free to write lies, or nonsense, or to tear the pages.”

I didn't mean to keep going back and forth but this made me :)

1 person likes this.
  5. rgsrinivasan

I haven't read any of his books Rama, though I have heard about them through my friends. One of my friends seriously prescribed to me his Jonathan Livingston Seagull and was quite vociferous in saying that it was this book that made him thus. I was impressed, but let my laziness to intervene again and that still prevails. And yes, will be happy if I get an explanation from Cheeniya Sir as well. Thanks again. -rgs

6. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

This is a very interesting video, do watch it when you can :)

Dan Ariely asks, Are we in control of our own decisions? | Video on TED.com

2 people like this.
  7. rgsrinivasan

Sure Aspire. Will watch it when I find time and will definitely respond to you. Thanks for sharing. -rgs