1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Choice(s)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Afresh, May 7, 2019.

1. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Do we really get choices in life? A small line from someone, innocuously saying that she chose to give an exam a miss, got me thinking. If she reads , she knows :)

Are we given the choice in life to shape up our trajectory or had we chosen a different route on ‘that fateful day’ would our life been different.

I , for one, have ever pondered on this question “ What if I was given a choice to change that one decision or reaction on a particular day; basically if I were to relive it, would I change anything ? “

And Alas! … I have always found myself (of course, in my imagination and head ) on cross roads and ultimately taking the same route, because maybe I don’t have the capacity to go pick an uncharted one . I always go back to the one traversed , as I think, that maybe the other has more negative surprises in store than my current blessings :).:facepalm::facepalm:

This I am talking about certain macro level things in life, for smaller issues like getting a stomach ache or gastro enteritis for street food bingeing , I always say I wish I hadn’t succumbed to the temptation then. But really, could my life have shaped differently? I am like one of the numerous ants on the wall going about their jobs as designated….. but we all have a head and heart to consider all those bombarding thoughts for all the while when one is awake

But really, I realise that all those decisions that I made along the way, have defined who I am and provide me with my identity deep down. Not wrong or right , just what I am, what values I stand for , what principles I follow to arrive at particular decision.

So even with a job , that I don’t like to own up to all the time ;), I still , looking back, with all the complaints I have from the time I joined, would still go and do the same, as I don’t know any other…….is that crazy? Or Just dumb or inhibited or all.. But that’s what I embody, I guess ;)

Just some random thoughts , I needed to pen down, don’t know if it makes sense to those reading. However, to those reading it would be great to hear , with your experiences , Do you honestly think that you would have done any better with changing their decisions at any point ??

More importantly, if honestly-honestly, you think that if you were to relive a particular moment, then for sure, now you know that you would have reacted/ responded/ done things differently and made another choice?

Vaikuntha, Ammu2886, kkrish and 10 others like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hey Afresh,

a very interesting thread. Would I do exactly what I did then or change it? I really don't know. If I had the ability to live life in retrospect, maybe I would have tried to change those decisions which I made because I was concerned about what others thought of me. If I did not have the benefit of retrospective decisions, then I would probably end up making the same decisions because those were made as a consequence of my (limited?) thinking ability and experiences positive as well as negative until the point of decision making.

Afresh likes this.
  3. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the feedback!
    The question i meant to ask is, after acknowledging the retrospective benefits, would you change your decision then?
    So the reply , is yes , i gauge.
    Thanks

satchitananda likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Am not so sure I have understood this question too well. Suppose I made a decision to do something then and the outcome was positive, then, no, I would not change my decision.

If I made a decision that had a negative outcome, but that negative outcome led to something good in the greater scheme of things, then, no, I would still not change my decision. If, however, the bad outcome was purely bad, then, yes, I would change my decision. Even that would be dependent on my mental maturity, available choices and opportunities. For e.g I could say, if I could go back, I'd love to go for a profession which involved deep sea diving and playing with the dolphins. But such luxuries were not available at that time. So even if I wanted to change my decision, it might or might not be possible. The choice I made would have been the only choice available to me.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Afresh likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Madam, A great write up. There is always a confusion which to choose, whether it is right or wrong.Right from National elections, to seek a job or finding out a partner, the choice always worries us.
    Some eight years ago I wrote an article for a Tamil magazine, a rough translation of which I furnish.

It is extremely difficult to take decisions
    when the options weigh equally either good or bad.
    It is not that big leaders,ministers and CEOs alone face this problem in life.It is the case with every individual.

Choice! Choice! Choice!
    ------------------------------------
    The gala festivities have started.Big textile shops and jewellery outlets have started cornering the most famous cine faces for marketing their products.
    Till November last week all roads leading to ThyagarayaNagar, Chennai will literally disappear ,merging into human heads.
    Many of the customers throng the area for the pleasure of varieties.
    This makes me ponder over whether such ‘selection’ is worth cherishing.My mind automatically goes back to my childhood days in our small town.Purchase of our simple dresses were restricted to one of the two shops out of the limited stock available.There was no dearth of happiness.

Now children grow up in an altogether different atmosphere.For breakfast, they have five or six types of cereals. Food chain stores vye with each other fooling all the health conscious individuals with buzz words like ‘low carb’,’organic’ ‘harmone free’,’gluten free’,’low fat’,’dairy free’ and what not.
    Heads are reeling with too many choices
    . We seemed to be more happy with monotonous curd rice we had with occasional idli or dosas.At restaurants we are amazed at the long list of menu.We choose something only to regret later that we have omitted something better.Not to talk of varieties in bakeries and ice cream shops.This deprives children of their ability to commit to certain activities leaving others, a must skill in later years.Persons not exposed to choices seem to be more relaxed and decisive.
    Saree shops still confuse us.Original silk sarees with original silver zari are far far beyond the purse of even the rich community.The artificial varieties are cheap and long lasting.Archanas, Aradhanas and Aparnas ( names of sarees) are profusely scattered in heaps.What to choose and what to leave? A great dilemma, indeed.No less difficult to choose readymade garments.We want to just come out and relax.
    Go to the super market.With a plastic bucket or stroller, you move from rack to rack without finding what you want.The sales girls simply show a corner and escape.
    See the corner shop with a thatched shed lit with a single tube light ,run solo.The customers have a better warm reception.Those shops have better sales than a super A/C store with varieties of commodities tastefully arranged in attractive racks.Show rooms with branded goods fare worse than their unattractive counterparts.Thus choice seems to benefit neither the customer nor the seller.Then why the maddening crowd?

The obsession of choice has spread its ugly wings in education,jobs, stock markets and what not.Students are dragged into unauthorized educational institutions with no esteem and the elite are victimized to choose the least moving stocks with negative returns.

The impact is rather heavy when it pokes its ugly nose into the marriage market.Many educated boys and girls don’t believe that saying’yes’ to one thing means a definite’no’ to everything else.They spend years ,waiting for the emergence of the ‘perfect’ out of the ocean of choices. On line references to endless options make the history still worse .Whether the ultimate choice is the one they have been longing for long, would be a nil problem or all problem-God only knows.
    A retail vegetable vendor in our area has been wise enough to marry a suitable girl within a limited circle.They have settled very well and are the proud owners of an A/ C Mini Hall for conducting small functions.His classmate,much more academically qualified and well employed, at 40,is still dreaming for a perfect match.Is it not worth while to take early decisions, not influenced by the mysteries of ‘gold hunt’ and learn to love the unavoidable small constraints?
    Bombarded with ‘too many’ in coffee houses,work places, housing schemes, malls, and a stack of credit cards-not to talk of the marriage market-modern guys/ girls are totally victimised.
    Theoretically ,in an advanced society,the concept of’options’ should make life comfortable.But on the contrary,it brings in anger and anxiety,stress and strain , and trials and turbulence, confrontations and confusions.
    A woman with four sarees can start quick;But one with tens of sarees and jewels land in confusion.Too many cooks spoil the product.Too many options stall all operations
    The saying is”beggars are not choosers”.
    Does it seem wiser to remain a beggar?
    Jayasala42

Thyagarajan, Amulet and Afresh like this.
  6. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

" So even with a job , that I don’t like to own up to all the time ;), I still , looking back, with all the complaints I have from the time I joined, would still go and do the same, as I don’t know any other…….is that crazy? Or Just dumb or inhibited or all.. But that’s what I embody, I guess "

exactly !! this is something I have long wondered. do we really have a choice or is it just the illusion of choice. Life was meant to shape up this way only, so here I am. If I had the luxury of changing over my past decisions, I like to think that I would surely change them. so many or rather all of my life decisions were affected by what my parents wanted me to do or what my friends expected me to do or mostly about what would others say. i like to think i was conditioned to behave in those ways.
    but really, would I have been able to think otherwise ?. now, looking back after many years, things seem different, but at that time , i was so sure of all my decisions. with whatever knowledge, understanding or perspective I had at that time, whatever i decided was based on what I knew at that time. even if that meant conforming to others view points.

that is why I think , we may like to believe we have choices, but that is only in hindsight. in the present, i have to make a decision thinking of all the pros & cons of that decision & then arrive at whatever best fits my situation. looking back after, say ten years, things have changed & one may feel what would have happened if I had done that.
    only, that " if I had done that" view comes only when we are looking back at our decisions.

Thyagarajan and Afresh like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I saw the title of the snippet and had a small heart-attack. : ) I had just written a blogpost titled 'choices...something...' for a family blog my cousins (and their families) and I maintain. I wrote that and came here, and thought I posted that here by mistake. : )

I've done this pondering some times. It usually strikes on Sunday afternoon when the week looms ahead and am not ready for it. Some financial decisions, I've sometimes half thought I'd like to change if I could go back in time... But other life decisions.. no. Thanks to some wise people who have drilled into my head that we make the best decision(s) that we can/could based on what we know/knew then.

The only thing I wish to relive and change are comebacks to asinine questions or comments from people. Comebacks that came to my mind much after the conversation and so never got delivered.

=======
    Reading your write-up, I get a feeling you have one particular decision that you are talking about........ : ) Most likely I am wrong.

Vaikuntha, Amulet and Afresh like this.
  8. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

This , in essence, answers my question .
    I also think , that choices are only an illusion and its somehow, what you actually tread is what would have been in other cases too!!
    Humanity and the greater universe.. lots of aspects to explore :)

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  9. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Thanks @jayasala42 Mam,
    I agree, it is difficult to take decisions and more the choices, as illustrated in your article, more difficult it is too get to the decision and not have second thoughts.
    This line , except for the choice of the word educated, resonates with me completely!!
    Having choices, doesn't/shouldn't mean that everything is always open to oneself; but the heart always wants more!

It is definitely simpler to not have any choices or limited ones in an ideal World!
    Yes, choices, do help people in distress and that's why they need to exist in this world!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Hi @gorgeous23 !!
    You are so spot on with your response.
    This iswhat i was also trying to communicate from my end.

Yeah, but i think that , "if I had done that" analysis also leads me back to " No , i wouldn''t have done that ;)"

You are s right, that Choices are more illusion :)
    Thanks for the feedback

Thyagarajan likes this.