Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 1)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Ami, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Angel Burfi - feed back

Hi Chithra,

I tried the angel burfi. It cam out well, except it was little too sweet. How can i reduce the sweetness for the same quantity of maida flour u have mentioned? should i add less sugar and more water. Please guide me so that next time i make i can induce it that way. In all i liked the sweet a lot, so i want to make it again some day.

Ur tips about testing sugar syrup really helped. i was not aware of that before. Thanks.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sugar for angel burfi

Hi Prathi,
    I find that since, we in South do not preserve the sweets in fridge, the burfi needs the correct amount of sugar to set firm. I have tried decreasing the sugar for many sweets & find that the burfi is soft, not firm & has to be refrigerated! Anyway you can try with perhaps 1 3/4 cups sugar, definitely not less. Thanks for the feedback.
    Regards,
    Chithra.

3. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for ur reply. Ya u r right regarding the firmness of the sweets. As u mentioned, i shall try with 1 3/4th cups of sugar next time.

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Any clarifications for my above mysore pak related query, friends???????????

TIA.

5. Chitvish

Mysorepak query

Hi Ami, I just now saw both your posts. I am not very sure, but I think the reasons can be- their adding dalda & adding it very hot. This way the patham will come very fast. So for large quantities, it is manageable, but when we make maximum 1 cup at a time , we can"t manage it. Steel plate will not make any difference. I saw a recipe where 1 cup of corn oil first & 1 cup of ghee is to be used. May be, you can try that!
    Regards,
    Chithra.

6. Jaya

Jaya New IL'ite

Dear chitra,

I am a new member to this site having joined only 2 days back. I am having some doubts on how to make mysore pak. Last year, I think I roasted the flour and it did not come out well. Also can u give me receipe for ribbon pakoda. i plan to make both of them for diwali.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    jaya

7. Chitvish

Mysore pak & Ribbon Pakoda

Hi Jaya,
    Mysore Pak is already given. When I learnt it first, I was not asked to roast the flour. Now, I slightly roast it. But you can roast it or not-I think it makes little difference.
    The besan & ghee have to be very fresh & that makes all the difference.
    Allsaid & done, I don't deny that this is a tricky sweet. After you do it twice or thrice, you will learn the nuances by practice!
    Ribbon Pakoda is posted in Snacks thread.
    Regards,
    Chithra.

8. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

I've got a doubt..........

Hello Chitra,

I see some recipes wherein we need to grind jsut green chilliles and hing OR jsut ginger and green chillies and etc.

Could u pls tell me how do u grind very small quantities to a paste ?
    Do u grind more and use the required amt or do u have mixers which can do small qty grinding.. OR do u use the mortar and pestl???

Love & regards,

9. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks, Mrs.Chithra.

Can you include some nut sweets too in yr lists for Deepavali? I know how to make katlis; but, when comes to kaju cake or badham cake like we get in shops, the consistency is not coming properly.

Heard from my friend that for kaju cake, it is a mixture of kaju, coconut etc. but, the outcome result was little soggy!! Can you pls give recipes based on the above?

Thanks and waiting for the same.

10. Chitvish

Green chilli paste grinding.

Hi Meena, I normally use the smallest jar of the mixi or the mincer which is an attachment in the electric hand blender. You can use mortar & pestle or hand grind it in the grinding stone (ammi).
    Regards,
    Chithra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.