Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 1)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Ami, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

caramel payasam..

Hello Chitra,

I follow this procedure of adding hot water to caramelized sugar while preparing date loaf.

I have a question here. normally I add hot water little by little and keep stirring continuously to avoid formation of lumps of sugar crystals; still sometimes I wouldn't be lucky to get a clear brown caramel liquid..

can I know how u handle this procedure and do u also have formation of lumps of crystals ?? pls do share ur experience....

2. meenaprakash

kesari

Hello Prathi,

I'm collecting recipes of Karnataka and I see u mention something called sajjige.
    could u pls elaborate on it and pls give me the full recipe... I'll be glad to try it out. I don't want micro recipes.

Just tell me how u go about normally and I want to make it look and taste rich...

thanx in advance........

3. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here

Dear Meena,

Kesari which chitvish mentioned...we call it sajjige (without the colour) and if u add colour we call is kesari baath.

the recipe is similar to what chitvish mentioned.

However, i will write my version here :

Ingredients

Rava/sooji - 1 cup (meena, since u r in karnataka ask for medium/local rava in the grocery)
    Sugar - 1/2 to 3/4 th cup
    Ghee - 4 tablespoons
    Milk - 1/2 glass
    Water - 1 1/2 cups
    Badam Powder /MTR Badam Feast - 2 teaspoons
    BrokenCashews
    Raisins

Method

• First of all, dry roast the rava till golden brown and set aside.
    • In a kadai, heat 1/2 of the ghee, add broken cashews and fry till golden brown.
    • Add the roasted rava, water and milk and keep stirring.
    • When the mixture turns into a semi solid, (or when u feel the rava is cooked, which wont take more than 5 minutes), add raisins and sugar.
    • Keep stirring till the sugar has blended well and add the remaining ghee and stir till the whole thing leaves the wall of the kadai.
    • At this stage add the badam powder, mix and take off the fire.
    • If u want u can add the color to make it kesaribath.

4. meenaprakash

that was a quick reply...

hey Prathi, I didn't expect this quick a reply.
    thank u so much dear..
    I'm gonna try the sajjige (without colour), for my daughter and the coloured one for my hubby and myself.

I think sajjige is what is given as prasad in temples - my daughter likes it a lot.
    I thought Sajjige itself is a kind of sweet.. thanx for clarifying this, Prathi.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005
  5. meenaprakash

thank u.....................

This message is just to thank u for writing down the recipe for me.
    thank u so much.......

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Orange pachadi clarification

Hi Meenaprakash , Kamala is regular , normal, orange coloured sweet oranges(not musambi) They are not sour variety at all . I mean the "regular eating oranges ".
    The skin is used only in this pachadi & a "thogayal " recipe. Otherwise we generally discard it . This is not thokku at all . This is just sauce consistency whereas thokku is jam consistency . If you want I can post a very old recipe called "sunkist orange marmalade " which also uses orange skin.
    Regards,
    Chitvish.

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Caramel clarified.

Hi Meenaprakash , Once the sugar caramelises completely without any crystal , sim the gas & just add 1/2 cup water carefully. It will come to a boil & dissolve completely. If you add milk ( I usually boil it Keep ready ) & rice , there won't be any
    undissolved caramel pieces. Even if there is , they will dissolve.
    Try , then you will know it .
    Regards,
    Chithra.

8. meenaprakash

I got it,Chitra

Hello Chitra,

What I'm talking about is not musambi - this fruit which is lemon like but bigger in size and more sour is also used to make pickles and it has medicinal values - its suppose to be good for diabetics and against pitham, etc.
    But I would definitely like to try your recipe with small oranges...

In the meantime, would you know a recipe, karuvepilai thokku, or karuvepilai thogayal??? I'd like to try that too, if u can spare the recipe...........

thanks in advance..........

9. meenaprakash

thank u chitra

Hello Chitra,

thanx for ur reply. In my recipe for date loaf, once the caramel liquid is done, I start adding dry fruits, butter, cinnamon powder and eggs followed by the maida mixture and bake it. the purpose of the caramel liquid is to give colour and shine and sweetness to the loaf but sometimes the crystals stay solid and I do get pieces of caramel crystals scattered in the loaf. so I was just wondering if u have experienced the same.

But since urs is a payasam recipe, the crystals might melt away in the milk and when cooked with rice it might dissolve.

anyway, I'm sure the colour and aroma must be great - this too shall be put to my TO DO LIST..............

10. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Sorry to interrupt..looks like meena, are u talking abt kadarangai in tamil(dont know the english name)??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.