Chithale Bandu - Pune / Rice Plate at Shivaji Nagar

Discussion in 'Pune' started by malspie, Dec 8, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

My visit to Pune, never misses the FAMOUS BAKARWADI AND THE LASNACHI SEV. (Sev with garlic flavour). I always make it a point to visit "Chitale Bandu" who have been in this business for decades... The BAKARWADIS are so tasty and also 'ALUCHI WADI" . Its a definite much for the coming weeks. They remain fresh and can be stored for weeks. Don't you all agree!!!!!

Hop in to any restaurants in Shivaji Nagar, Pune and ask for a Rice Plate. The rotis are so thin, that you can actually see sunlight passing through it. Depending upon the season, we get aamras, kokum sherbet. The sweet dish is either Shrikand or Puran Poli.

I never miss the rice plate and my visit to Chitale Bandu.

2 people like this.
  2. Nandhita

Nandhita New IL'ite

Hi Mals,

Lots of things taste great at Chitale I guess. I prefer their sweet varieties, their Ambe Burfi and Kalakhand are really yummy. Well, I am not too fond bakarwadi personally, but sev - yes really yummy.
    You were speaking about rice plate in various places around Shivaji Nagar. Have you eaten 'Thali' at Asha Dining Hall (This is opposite Hotel Shreyas in Deccan). Well, if you want to eat only home cooked food, but unable to cook or away from home, then just drop into this place. You'll get very delicious, nutritious tasty, fresh food. The chapatis are amazing. It is run by a person of Karnataka orgin. The Rasam given here is heavenly. I drink it first, then mix with rice and have with papad. I make sure my stomach is emply when I go to this place so that I can utilise the 'unlimited food' bit well. In fact, when I was pregnant and was particular about not eating anywhere outside home, we used to drop in at Asha once a week or sometimes even twice. And they charge about Rs.35 for a plate (Sweets like Shrikand/aamras are available at extra cost). I have eaten at different dining halls, but this one is above the rest.

I think you might have eaten here too, but since it is so good, I thought of telling this.

Regards

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Malspie and Nandhita,

What a yummy set of posts from you both! Poona is one place that I have never visited. We used to go to Bombay every summer and Poona would come at midnight. I always had to resist a temptation to get down there and visit the cultural capital of Maharashtra.

Nandhita, one help please. A friend has offered to get me whatever I need from Poona. Do you know where she can find kulfi moulds, Anjali peda maker?

regards
    Vidya

4. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Yes, the Chitale Bhakarvadi are really famous. Earlier we used to get bhakarvadi from Baroda....but after coming to Pune, no one can replace Chitale bhakarvadis. Ieven carry them to US and they really stay fresh for weeks on (about 6-8 weeks for sure).

Vidya, tell your friend to look for kulfi moulds and anjali peda maker at Tulsi in Tulsi bagh.

Roopa.

5. Nandhita

Nandhita New IL'ite

Wow Roopa, You've given Vidya the answer in minutes.
    Vidhya, like Roopa says, Tulsi is a prominent shop in Tulsi baug (anyone in pune would know the place). But in case there is a stock out situation there, there are many other small shops in the same street which will certainly have it.

Also, I don't know which part of the city she lives in. In case she lives in Aundh, she can try at 'Pankaj varieties' at Bremen Chowk in Aundh (a very prominent shop). For us, this shop is the 'tulsi of Aundh'

Regards

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Roopa and Nandhita,

Thanks ladies. I mentioned Tulsi to my riend and she says that she too has heard about it. So, thanks I will think both of you when I am hogging the kulfi and peda.

regards
    Vidya

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Nandhita.

Yes, Yes, Yes !!!!!

Deccan should not be missed when we discuss eating joints in Pune. I actually forgot the name of the Dining Hall. I have eaten in Asha Dining Hall and like you made it a point to keep my stomach totally empty before I hit on the Unlimited THALI. Keep posting here, we are all eager to know more about PUNE........

8. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Roopa,

Thanks for joining us in discussing eatery joints in Pune. Chithale Bandu is the best joint for farsan, sweets, wadis and ambe polis too...

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

I am so happy to see you here. Hey, you seem to know about Mumbai and Pune. Now, that you have solved your friends query here, we think we are rocking..

This dead sub-forum called 'PUNE' is slowly catching up with the AMMAS....

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Mals,

Make that *AAYIS'!!

Hey, u r talking to the numero uno Mumbaikar! Mumbai chi mulgi, mumbai chi bahu (there goes my two word knowledge of Marathi). Born in Bombay, studied two years in Bombay, married to a Bombay guy who can speak Marathi better than Tamil------ addicted to jowar rotis and amti. Can feast on zunkha-bakar--- wear Maharsahtrian sarees and kan blouse with glee---

Mee Shivaji!!

regards
    Vidya