1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chirp ... Chirp Who's There?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Mar 29, 2021.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

"Time, you old gypsy man, Will you not stay? Put up your caravan, Just for a day....."

I know he will not, no matter how much I try to entice him to, when I realize that I don't remember any more whether I mentioned the birds in my garden. Age is certainly playing tricks on my memory, but not on my knowledge of myself - knowing how crazily I run after them trying to get a click, I am sure, I must have shared a pic or video sometime before, in some forum or the other.

Talking of chasing birds, it is the normal story of my life. However when I have not slept a wink one night, badly the next and then woken up for an early morning class, it is no surprise that I like to get my 40 winks at 10 am. I wait for the Woman Friday and Lady Anatole to come, give them their work for the day and try to settle down cosily for said 40 winks. I hear a call from the balcony - normally I'd have run to the mesh door with my camera. "Damn that bird, I want to sleep", I think and try to dig myself deeper into my pillows. The call gets louder, then another and another and soon there is a full-fledged party going on in my balcony. No way I can go to sleep. I have to go and check out. I have never had them shout for so long and so insistently in the past. If I do not grab this opportunity, who would be the loser???

Have I told you that my balcony plants were doing very badly for a while? 2020 was no incentive for me to try, not that much could have been done, given that there was no way of getting stuff for the garden. 2021 gave me the much needed push and I got a plant with little pink flowers when I read that it attracts birds. What a delight to see it working the next day when I was again watching the bulbuls at breakfast. That was a special day indeed. 4-5 bulbuls to breakfast, then the same number for lunch and in addition this sunbird feasting on nectar.

Sunbird comes over for lunch - IL.jpg
    It had never ever occurred to me to leave water out for the birds till I kept seeing messages on WhatsApp. (Whoever said social media cannot be useful?) And here is what I saw today. I may not have a little pond for birds to splash around in, but this is good enough.

Kaput, Yumna, stayblessed and 3 others like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Good post, lovely videos. Being in.Kerala I am also e njoying birds chirping, squirrels voice and the greenery and fresh air. The house is surrounded by trees. Raw banana ,small bananas, Jack fruit, vegetables, kovakkai, brinjal , kappa etc. Kappa they eat for breakfast

Two dogs are there big one and small dog and and a small cat.My grand daughter is very fond of them. Just now it is raining

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    satchitananda likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Wow! The joy of an independent home with a surrounding garden to grow fruits and veggies is a joy unto itself!!!
    Thanks a lot Vijima!

iyerviji likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Stress busters - are they not?
    Breakfast making at times cause stress? It all vanishes.
    All three videos patiently captured, depicts how deep your love for Nature in all its ramifications. There is flexible fixture available in amazon to hold steady your camera - smart phone to make panorama of Nature.

You loved the gardening to invite birds to your sanctuary or vice versa - whatever it may be - providing for birds is another greatest punya like watering plants in right time with right quantity gives off oxygen to humanity.

I am sure your library contains book on ornithology and gardening. Salim Ali reference book must be decorating your show case.

Like cloud affinity for mountains, your gardening hobby is affinity to these bull bulls and doves and you continue to hear their music in all the season - rain or shine - as you - tad reluctantly - get off from bed to capture the lovely moments as it occurs in the natural surroundings.
    Thanks and Regards.

GOD - you brake human monotony with chirping of birds

satchitananda likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Thanks a lot, Sir. Everything that happens, happens for good. My spinal surgery, being grounded, all this led me to hear birds for the first time, that led to taking pics. Gardening was being done before that too, but only show plants. Slowly my interest extended to trying to grow medicinal plants and veggies and home composting. Am very happy that I have found my true hobby which would not have happened if I had not received that 'kick in the back', so to say!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

What came to mind is mohammed mountain story...only the mountain comes to you, thanks to your persistent efforts. This goes to show that we can create a paradise where we are! Glad to see so many birds coming for your pleasure. Enjoy them my friend!

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  7. satchitananda