1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese Fried Rice - Version 2

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by iswaryadevi, Mar 23, 2011.

1. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Beware!! I am a total amateur at cooking. And if you visited this blog thinking it is a new recipe, I pity you. Really!!!

I am a terrible cook. Actually, I don’t even know A, B, C, in cooking. The only thing I can do confidently without guidance is to boil water. Now you know what a great cook I am, right?

So, one fine day, I decided to test my cooking abilities. I declared that I was going to cook Chinese Fried Rice; not Sambar, not Rasam, but Fried Rice. I mean, wasn't that too much for someone who was just going to try cooking?

My dad threw an exasperated look and escaped saying he had some urgent client meeting that he just remembered. Poor mom, she could not come up with any convincing excuses, as well as she did not want to leave the kitchen all alone to someone like me, so reluctantly accepted.

So where do you think I would have started? Of course, our very own IndusLadies. I opened up IL site and browsed through Chitvish’s forums and found the desired recipe. My tongue started rolling at the sight of the Fried Rice' snap and I took the print out imagining the yummy aroma.

I banned my mom from entering the kitchen for the next two hours. I had to almost shut her out as she kept on pestering to at least stay in the kitchen with me when I cook. But I replied a firm NO and shut the door.

The recipe I had downloaded had instructed me to wash the long grain rice. Now that was a real problem, because I don’t know which rice is long grain rice. My ego did not allow me to call my mom. I just picked the rice which appeared longer (yeah...my brain does work some times, you know) and started the job.

Then I had to boil water and add the rice and 1 tsp salt. Now the word ‘tsp’ sent me an alarm. Why can’t Chitvish be more specific (???) was my immediate thought. But of course, she would have never thought that some one as stupid as me would see her recipes. So I came back to the current issue. I just picked up some amount in my hand and decided that I can add more if needed.

Then I was supposed to cook uncovered on medium flame till rice became tender and not overcooked. I don't even know what was to be cooked forget being over cooked. Then I had to drain the rice, chop the veggies (need I say each veggie was in a different shape?), and so many more steps. OK, to cut the long story short, I did manage to complete all the required steps.

When I saw the final product, I was a little confused if there was a problem in my eye sight. I mean, the fried rice I used to see in hotels was white in color. But here, it was RED.

Finneeeee, I needed expert advice now, so I called my mom to check what went wrong. She stared at the mess I had created in the kitchen with disgust. But I kind of managed to divert her attention to the fried rice. She was instantly alarmed (I mean, she was going to eat it na, she was horrified, I guess). She then patiently asked me what all veggies I added.

"Uh...beans, carrots...Um...peas....beetroot"

"BEETROOT?" my mom almost fainted. "Have you ever seen beetroot in fried rice?"

"No! But I like them..." I replied, kind of embarrassed.

My mom shook her head in despair and almost chased me out. Well, with that ended my cooking regime.

But let me make it clear, the fried rice did taste good, except for the color which was bright red. Anyways, what is in a color?

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

dear ice.

lol. that was a good laugh. btw, i once had lunch at a friend's place, where her mom had made pulav which was a lovely pink colour. she had put a few long strips of beetroot into it. to date i think of it, but have not got round to actually trying it out. so next time you get a chance, you can try it out (with just a strip or two of beetroot to ensure that lovely pink colour as opposed to a fluorescent red) when your mom is not around. you may be surprised. she may just love it!!! it's just a matter of getting used to new ideas, you know.

p.s. this foodie had to be the first one to reach this blog. how could she miss out on that? :biglaugh:biglaugh

3. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

[​IMG]

To the Aspiring Chef of the Decade!!!!

Icy no probs afterall red is a colour of

passion you see:biglaugh

You excel in all styles of writing..

and HUMOUR is no exception.

Good one there:rotfl

:cheers
    Saras

4. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

You can't go wrong with fried rice, as long as it is cooked and as long as the salt is OK.

In one of the Hare Krishna temples in the US, they serve something called "laddu" -- it is flat and square, almost like mysorepak.

The worst meal I have ever eaten was served by an American hippie --she served boiled cattail. (Not the animal's tail which would have been worse but the plant cattail which is quite bad in itself.) It was very hard for me to keep a straight face as I and another friend saw her "cook" this.

> The only thing I can do confidently without guidance is to boil water.

I am glad to see this, since there is at least one person who is a worse cook than I am :)

But seriously, Shiva's Aloo Poha is a piece of cake. You can't go wrong with it.

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Enjoyed your Chinese Fried Rice in red colour, Iswarya...as you had said, what is in a color, only taste matters...
    Glad to note that the taste turned good..:)

sriniketan

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi ice,

kalakura chandru....!! yezhutharadula kalakureega.... samaikaradula kalakureega!! super than ponga...

Enjoyed being with you in your kitchen dear. lovely narration.

Akila

7. Indhradhanu

Indhradhanu Silver IL'ite

Hai Ice,

Had a good laugh :biglaugh. Enjoyed reading. Finally did your dad tried this red fried rice????

8. Monsi

Monsi Bronze IL'ite

Hey Ish ! One thing's for sure.. I will invite you for meal at my house but wont allow you to put a single step inside my kitchen
    :p

Good writing.. :)

9. rayhaan

rayhaan Bronze IL'ite

Enjoyed reading it.

I too had the same question that Indra had.. Did your father try your fried rice?

I have always known that fathers like their daughter’s recipe more than their spouse’s routine food:) Was it the same with your case too..

You should have added a picture of your fried rice? We would have enjoyed seeing it...

10. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

OOOPS ... so from being a thriller serial writer you went to dab youur hands in cooking... OUCH!!.. RED FRIED RICE!!!!.... well... does it really matter if the taste is good????...
    enjoyed your tryst with the kitchen
    K