1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Children in tears

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Parvathi
    I am touched by this beautiful FB of yours. I feel so nice and gratified that my Ramblings lift your moods when you feel a bit down.

To tell you the truth, I was shaken by the bashing of that hapless child by the frustrated mother because she was not able to feed it. Whenever, I see the pictures of highly famished children of Ethiopia and other poor countries I used to feel appalled but when I came across one such case right in my neighborhood, it killed my appetite for food for several days.

There is not a single Indian grandpa who will not go into hiding when his granddaughter is about to have her ears pierced. The grandpa’s tears will easily find its way out through the numerous wrinkles on the face! The grandchild without knowing the fate that is about to befall jumps on the lap of her uncle is one of the most poignant scenes I have ever come across!
    Your appa sounds like my alter ego!
    Sri

2. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Parvathi... thanks for discovering this amazing thread!!!:thumbsup

Dear Cheeniya
    Its so true of any grandparent.... they can never see their grandchild in any form of agony... especially grandfathers...
    I had a really strict aunt and uncle who never spared the rod on their sons but when their grandchildren would be scolded they would be whimpering with pain!!!
    Even my Father-in law would go for a walk when I would sit with my son for homework!!!
    you certainly have a soft kind heart as you get affected by the so- called injustice metted out by the "cruel" parents on their kids...
    incident about the poor child was sad.. must be so tough on the mother to be unable to give food to her hungry child... such is the sad state of affairs in our country....:hide:
    pleasure to read the post
    K

3. Cheeniya

Dear Kelly
    This is the first time that a post of mine has been described as amazing and I really feel overwhelmed. Thank you for that generous description.

I always used to treat both my daughters as special angels and smothered them with my love and affection until they got married and begot children. Now they get frequent firing from me for being unreasonably strict with their children. They even think that I am spoiling my grand children. I tell them that I was no different with them when they were children and they grew up to be responsible persons. Modern women tend to be a bit too ambitious about their children and they start putting them under too much pressure. It is unfair to deny them the joy of growing normally and naturally.

Children employed in auto mechanics' shops get the worst treatment but I am told that every mechanic grew up that way! A lot of rubbish it is!
    Sri

4. sujathaumakanth

sujathaumakanth Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri Uncle,

I used to keep checking your profile to see if you had posted any posts lately and there you go, my hopes aren't dashed :) I guess I am running out of words to heap any more praise on your writing .....your thought provoking words laced with humour, it gives me immense satisfaction of having read a wonderful post everytime I read your ramblings as you modestly put it :))

Nowadays when my mother advises me to hold my temper or be patient with my kids, I try to stop myself from rolling my eyes at her........this is someone whose fists I used to be frightened of as a child :) As I had recently commented on my post "Mothers, are they???", it did not make her any less of a mother in my eyes. It takes all kinds of mothers - they are definitely a breed one would find harder to decipher.

But yeah, everybody's heart goes out to a crying child........but perhaps noone really gives a second look at the remorseful mother who cries her heart out for lashing out at her child given her helplessness of the situation or the chain of events that led her to vent out her anger at her child.

Rightnow my 5 yr old after having moved to a new daycare after our recent move seems to have developed an attitude phaps from peer behaviour......it is so hard for both my husband and I to make him understand that what he is doing is not welcome in our house. Kids can test even the most patient of all saints and believe me, my husband can truly be canonized as one atleast where tempers are concerned :) but even he is being pushed over the edge lately. Sigh, the joys of parenting........

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear cheeniya sir,

That, I too cannot bear to see a child in tears, I realized when, I scrolled down to read the end and find out what was it that was being inflicted upon kriti. Only then could I go back and enjoy the whole post.:)

But then being a mother is TOTALLY different. Like all mothers, I am with your daughter in this case as I too have been treated as the accused one when my daughter used to bawl at her first school. The members of my dear family had turned into my enemies and seriously believed that she could go straight to first standard at 6 years. What age and time are they living, I wondered?

Actually the term "Grand parents" is quite inappropriate, if you ask me. They do not do any "parenting" only "pampering.":biglaugh

But, EVERY child MUST have them to know the true joys of childhood.:)

6. Cheeniya

My dear Suja
    I am really sorry that I have not been able to keep my commitment of posting a new thread on a regular basis for some time now. The fact is that my PC is wholly appropriated by my holidaying grand children! I just get it for about an hour in the nights when my favorite programs are telecast in TV! Should I watch TV or write my new thread? I suffer like Hamlet but not for long. My comfortable sofa that cradles my ample frame whence I have a decent view of the TV except for the frequent interruptions caused by my mil walking up and down finally decides the issue! What you have read now is an old thread of mine revived by a member offering her FB!

To be honest with you, my various stages in life never really had any effect on my attitude towards children, a trait that I have inherited from my mum. I have never raised my hand against my children or used strong words in all my life. That is precisely how I continue to be with my grandchildren too but my daughters think I am spoiling their children! When I adored my daughters, they considered me the world’s best dad. When I adore my grandchildren, my daughters think I am the world’s worst grandpa! Perspectives!

Kids can really test the patience of even the most patient of all saints. I agree with you there. That is how the kids bring out the best in us!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Mindi
    I love your last line. Children have grandparents to know the true joys of childhood. That's why God made Santa Claus the way he is with a flowing white beard, ludicrous dress sense and an unmanageable paunch. A child will certainly distance itself from an old man with a eight pack body and menacing look. A grandpa should have a figure that inspires love and confidence. In fact I started putting on a paunch to satisfy my youngest granddaughter who loves using it as a pillow. I wanted a bonsoi version of a paunch but what it has turned out to be is like the banyan tree of Adyar! I am now struggling to get back to shape as I find that my young granddaughter seems to be losing interest in it!
    Sri

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea rSri,

What u said move me and everyone here.I have quarters here outside my home, Govt quarters, and sometimes someone beats a child, and i hear it crying, i feel the same as u.A child's crying can melt the hardest of teh hearts.

And how could u attend that meeting, i can understand, after seeing all this.For a child to be hungry and whipped to bed, for there is no more food, what does one say Sri to that.Absolutely appalling.

And yr grandaughter going to school, and u crying eh ! You should have take her to school, dear freind, i remember when my brother who is now 46, was admitted to school, in my school, mom came to leave him, i was in class 7 or 8, and he howled after mom went away, and i was amused at this fellow brother of mine, and they had a hard time at school to restrain him.

Took my mom a month , to come to school till he mellowed down.HAHA

Sri, who is reviving these old blogs of yours, and giving u more homework these days ? Well on yr behalf i want to thank them for bringing these wonderful masterpeices in front of us.

Regards

kamal

9. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya sir i loved reading your writing on cannot see children suffering, you should have been the mother, then you would have toughed up,as children are so intelligent---and their ways are unbelievable ---we were so innocent comparatively, 24 hrs feeding all their whim and fancies the ladies toughen up a lot--not all but mostly, my DH FEEL LIKE YOU, even one shout or tap he will shout "such tender children, the mind will be affected, --this and that,----Tell him look after them for one full day---your patience will reduce---the angelic look will disappear--and you will be normal.
    Grandchildren are different, they are our love, and pet,--we treat them with specialty and patience because no other work to do, we spoil them to the frustration of their parents,--we care less, as long as we hug and cajole them to our ability.
    Cheeniya dont get me wrong--even i am a very soft hearted person ---even street childen --i teach, comb their hair, even bathe them, give food ,--not money--i will buy the books--dress or---whatever needed then---if you look at them closely, not all are our care and pity---but most are.

10. Cheeniya

Kamal, my dear buddy,
    I am grateful to all those who keep reviving my old blogs. It is just that I have no time to write anything new with all my grandchildren camping at home and creating a racket! My PC is continuously busy from morning to night and I get it to myself when my eyes refuse to keep open. There is a Tamil movie titled 'Azhagan' where the middle aged hero Mammootty is preparing for his graduation. He feels so sleepy that he keeps a matchstick between his eye lids to ensure that they don't close! I am almost in a similar position! I too have to run around for a Medical Seat for my grandson. I should be free to come back here in a big way only from the second week of June!

I remember the first day of my schooling. I was perched on my mum's hip with a rose garland around my neck. Within seconds I shredded the garland to pieces in my anger and resentment and my maternal grandma remarked that if you garlanded a monkey, this was what would happen!
    Sri