1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Children in tears

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jul 1, 2007.

1. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

Dear sir,

well as usual a heart melting topic and to tell u the truth...i was indeed thinking abt tis issue 2 days back.....my daughter had got sum rashes on her legs and hands and i took her to the doc thinking it might b chicken pox as it is very hot here in dubai.....when the doc saw she told me immediately to take blood test and urine test for the little one who is just 17 months old...i was shocked...i asked the doc again if she was very sure tht if it was a real necessity for the baby to go thru such pain.....she was heartless.....i really mean it...she just nodded her head in haste....i took my daughter aarushi to the treatment room and they checed for the veins near the elbow and since cudnt find a suitable one for blood test ...they took her vein below the fingers....the nurse was taking blood frm aarushi for almost 10 minutes.....tears started flowing down my eyes when i saw my baby suffer in pain.....here in dubai its a way of taking money frm ppl tht without even thinking they ask us to take blood test..finally when the result came it was nothing but a normal viral rash....i really cursed the doc for making my child suffer like tht...

lov
    sowmi

2. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheenya Sir ,
    All ur narrations about ur experiences were so touching . They just brought tears in my eyes . Here I have to admit one clear fact - that is - U ARE A GOOD HUMAN BEING ! God bless u sir !
    With high regards ,
    Indhu .

3. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey Cheeniya Sir,

This write up of yours has made my eyes wet... I'm too very weak hearted when it comes to seeing someone suffering or seeing someone in pain... I get scared with the thought of children getting injections or his/her first day of school... leaving my child with strangers.

While our child is at home we keep our eyes on him/her all the time... making sure, that sharp corner of sofa should not touch him or he shouldnt go near a open plug... overall just being with the child in every moment...and suddenly leaving him in a new environment and thinking that no one would care as much as I do... Frankly speaking i dont have a heart for this... I'm not a mother yet but lets see what happens when i am...

and then i think, at least our children are priviliged enough, to have the life that we will provide them... thinking of the not so priviliged children, my heart bleeds even more... children who have to take a beating every now and then, cos many times when the mother doesnt know how to deal with here fnancial or personal probs, she takes out her frustration and beats up the child... or the children who have to work to make a living for the family.

I cant write more as i cant find words to express my feelings in this regard. You are a very nice man and like you i have found myself helpless so many times and in these situations passing a Buck also doesnt make you feel better...

~Abha

4. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  5. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    I do feel the same emotions when I see children suffering and I completely agree with you that" the suffering of an adult was mostly his own making."
    i remember a boy coming to me for tutions. He came from quite a well to do family. One day he seemed to hide his hand from me and that made me very inquisitive. i asked him what was wrong and he tried to evade my question. I saw a burn mark near the elbow by chance. My persistent questioning brought tears to his eyes ( and believe me, this was a difficult child to tackle and I thought he was a hard nut to crack)and he said his mother had done that to him since he had not scored good marks. That really shattered me and then I understood why that boy had become so hardened. And the tears told me that still there was some softness left in him. I called his mother and spoke to her and gave her a big sermon on how to handle kids. Ofcourse I do not know whether it made sense to her. After a few months that boy stopped coming to me. But later(after many years) I did learn that he had completed his schooling and got admitted to college.
    But in the case of small things such as giving injections etc. I feel kids need to be exposed to little pains so that they are able to take bigger ones in the future. Especially for girls, nature itself putting her to such an ordeal, it is a necessary exposure.
    Ofcourse as parents and grand parents it would hurt us most as they are our flesh and blood.

6. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

Your thread 'Children in tears' has made this 'elder in tears'. I remember Avvaiyar's 'Kodithu kodithu izhamaiyil varumai'. In Mumbai, I used to see lot of young urchins and feel a stab in my heart. At an age where they have to be in school and learning, they are forced to do menial jobs and even begging. Some of these boys who work as boot polsh boys in V.T or Churchgate and I consider this better than begging. Once one of these boot polish boys was interviwed and asked what he wants to become growing up. He answered, 'I want to become a Karim Lala'. Karim Lala was the underworld Don and the answer sent shock waves.

On the lighter side, I remember the scene from K. Balachandar's 'Punnagai Mannan'. Kamala Haasan acting like Charlie Chaplin will be made to do all sort of acrobatics to stop a boy from crying. He will hang upside down and the boy will stop crying, but the moment he reverts his posture the boy will start crying again. At that moment Srividya will come there and will give a slap to the boy who will stop crying instantly.

Regards,

TDU

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha
    That children can cry their hearts out and get away with anything is a major problem that every parent has to cope with particularly when the grand parents are around! In fact, it can even escalate into a major problem between the parents and grandparents!

But I must mention this here. If children behave in a particular fashion to get what they want, it is all what they learn from their elders. The need, therefore, to be highly restrained in our reactions when the children are around can never be over-emphasised.
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear Sowmini
    What you have narrated sounds very much like a page from my diary!
    You certainly sound like a female version of cheeniya, far younger though!
    Some Doctors even grin while they adminiter an injection to a child and it is then I feel murderous really!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Indhu
    That's indeed a compliment that I would cherish. People say that watching colourful fish swimming about in a fish tank helps a lot in relieving our pressures. But I find playing with childrn even more soothing to my spirits. Whenever, I feel very depressed, I make a beeline to my grand daughter Kriti who is such a warm child.
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Abha
    Thank you for sharing my feelings about suffering children and nominating my Post for July.
    In fact, when a cople of FBs here mentioned about how children could see their way through with crying, I was a bit puzzled and also got annoyed with myself for not making my position clear. I agree that children do use crying as a weapon but there is a lot of difference between a child crying in hunger for food and a child crying for an expensive toy. We can not equate them. I was trying to focus my thread on the plight of the former but somehow it got dragged on to a different aspect of a juvenile behaviour!
    The way you have expressed yourself as a mother-to-be, I wouldn't mind being born as your child!
    Sri

1 person likes this.