1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Childhood Memories

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Childhood Memories

When i was around 3 or so, i remember distinctly,even after 50 years,we were in Ghatkopar.We had a small bunglow on rent,and empty fields around.There used to be a lot of butterflies around.I used to move around on a small tricycle,and would slowly go near it,and catch the butterfly and keep it in my upper pocket.I would cycle home fast,to show my mom and granny,and when i open my pocket, the butterfly is gone.I used to cry,and go and again catch another one,with the same result.It never crossed my mind to kill it and then show.I never saw two butterflies of the same colour.God only knows how he made them.

We used to catch it,and put it in a match box,and either it used to die,or run away.And there was this tree near the bus stop in Chembur,oppostite the Diamond Garden.It used to have Khujli wali Imlis (some fruits which cause itching).We used to carefully pluck it with a handkerchief,and put it in our school bag,and given a chance put it in the back of the pants of a friend.You should have seen they guy itching his backside in the bus,as though doing a dance,and we would be laughing away.His mom would yell at us,and at the same time giving us Sherbat,requesting us to please spare her son.Once she showed us his red bums,and we were laughing uncontrollably in her house.Bad of us,but well we were kids,and kids dont do any wrong, do they ?Luckily for the guy,we didn’t put it in the front of his pants

We friends used to love plucking mangoes from the trees of the Girls School next door,for that we had to jump the wall.I was caught many a times,and the principal used to think, I had come to fool around with the girls .Comeon, how stupid can some people get.Kamalji and girls?No way.

Girls used to play Langdi,and those squares game on the floor,i don’t know the name.We guys used to play marbles.Make a Triangle,put 5 marbles each in it, and with a big marble from far, try to hit them.One of my punjabi friends used to be very good and used to win away all my marbles.

I had a girl cousin from Nadiad,thats Gujerat, who came down for a few days to visit us.She came and said i want to play marbles with u guys.I was so ashamed,i shooed her off,but mom said let her play,shes come for a few days only.My friends objected,but gave in.Boy she was a champ,this female,and won me all the marbles that i had lost in the last few month.My punjabi friend cried foul, but i threatened to tell my other school friends that he had lost to a girl,and that kept him quiet.Whenever he used to bully me, I used to just tell him " She is Coming in a few days " and that would bring him to his senses.Who wants to lose to a female ?Remember the movie " Kuch Kuch Hota Hai ".SKR did not want to admit he used to lose to Kajol.

Outdoor games for us used to be football,the old fashioned one,with the rubber bladder.Come rains,and it was fun playing in the slushy grounds of Gandhi Maidan.Cricket we played with the tennis balls in the compound,and broke many a windows.Good there were not many cars those days.

Kite flying was great fun.Dad used to love fly kites,and I would hold the Charkhi,while he flew them high.He and me used to make Manja.We used to buy the colour,broken fine glass,and I don’t know what else.We used to tie the thread on the terrace,and Dad with Socks as gloves,used to put the paste of manja on the thread.

When he used to fly the kites,he used to have the socks on,and by evening his fingers used to bleed,as the glass of themanja used to tear in his fingers thru the socks.And when we had a Pech, he used to give Dheel,while we used to tell him to Khech instead.and the boys down used to steal our Manja when our kites got cut,and I used to curse them.Dad had a hard time trying to keep me quiet.Now in Jaipur, I have lost interest totally in kites.

Indoor Games were fun too,like Carrom,ludo,Chinese Checkers and Monopoly.For Carrom,after the boric powder finished, we used to flick Moms Expensive talc power quietly,and get whacked for the same.In the rainy season,we had a hard time playing on the damp carrom,and used to take the carrom near the stove to get it warm and heated.Everybody used to be after the queen,just as teenagers we used to be after the pretty females.

Dad used to take us to the zoo,at Byculla, i think,and we used to love the animals,and the icecreams from the roadside carts.And the Raymond and Gemini Circus used to be a treat,with the animals,and the dwarfs.We were too young to notice the pretty trapeze females,though " Kuch Kuch Hota Tha ",but could not understand at that age ki kya ho raha hai.

Now all this has been replaced by the computers,mobiles and the play stations.Kids are getting smarter,and faster,unlike us stupid blokes.Good luck kids,your poor Dads and Moms envy you.

Kamal Mahtani

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Brings back very fondly cherished memories, Kamalji.
    Childhood is no more innocent or fun filled, What a sad state!!!!!!!!

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Janani ji,

Thanks for yr first comment.Childhood is so different these days.K ids are mostly indoors, playing computer games,and spoiling their eyesight.We used to be playing outside the whole day,get dirty,and come home and take a nice warm bath,have a cup of tea,and lots of mother's love.Sadly many of these are missing these days.Thanks.kamal

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,

Childhood... looks no more the same way as before. are we trying to remove that entirely from our kids...well i am always thinking about it when i try to analyze myself as a parent....

Well, coming to outdoor games.... there is no more space for the kids to play in most cities. The other main reason.. when we were kids, the other parents in the neighbourhood also used to keep a watch on all kids...look at how it is today..there are few of them who care... if it is not their kids . We want to keep our kids in a safety cocoon...from the outside world of roads, speeds, their tackling things on their own.
    The third is the children dont have time...we give them too much too much competitions...so many classes, tutions...(I see a 8 year old going to tution at 5.00 in the morning.:shaking:) Are we pushing too much of our expectations and pressure on the kids....(May be that is a different topic)

Then the old games... in south there is a game called pallanguzhi.. played by girls/women it is a nice game. .very few of this generation play it... i have shown it to my children only at exhibitions.. thinking of buying it for my daughter and have a game with her..There is a resurrection of all these old games in new packages....and being sold at exorbitant prices...at least there is a revival...
    The langdi..and the squares on the floor game i saw it happening at some place... in my flats..this summer:smile: .
    chess.well my son plays it on the pc...does not want to play with his sister....

I agree that kids are smarter. the pcs and playstations cannot take the place of other children with whom the kids play,fight,learn to interact....

At least some of us can talk about those days..... but what will my kids talk... pcs, playstation...games...:x

I want to change it at my home... with a little cooperation from my children ofcourse...:lol:

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Shantiji,

How true.We can remembner our days, but what will our children talk about ? HAHA.very true.

Great comments,thanks a lot for them.Regards.kamal

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Thank you Kamalji for rekindling childhood memories. I think I was not so naughty as to put itchy berries on some one's pants :tongue , but sure I had my share of games.

I lived in a small town where everyone knows everyone else. There was a large bunch of kids in our colony. We lived close to a rail track and everytime a train passed by there was the simple joy of waving, even to a goods train :mrgreen: ! I always wanted to be a Guard in the railways. Hmmm:icon_frown: as time went by, all those childhood dreams simply went away with the wind!

We played different games during different seasons. There was a game called monkeys on a tree where all the players had to run and climb onto a tree. One person who was the Catcher had to try catching the monkeys with a stick. During one such session, I was stung by a large scorpion:cry: . And for days after that I would be scolded - "If you ever climb a tree, then.....:bangcomp: "

Whenever there was construction in the neighbourhood and sand was stcked outside, we would all raid the sand, build long castles (not that they even remotely resembled a castle) and walls till the owner came and shooed us away. Sometimes the owner's children would also join us and we were assured that we will not be chased away.

As girls we all had a lot of small pots and pans and we would play kitchen games too. If someone had a toy refrigerator, then the others would pester their mothers to get them one. And there was school and teacher game with imaginary students.

Years after I moved out of that town, I lost touch with all my friends. A couple of years back I found one of my childhood friends over the internet. He lives in Europe and we had a loooong chat about our childhood days.

7. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi KamalJi

I have been a silent reader of your posts, but today i thought i will definitely reply here... this post really made me nostalgic...

we as young girls used to play the SQUARE game as you mentioned... its called "Stapu" in hindi and "Hopscotchs" in English also a few games called "Gallery" and what not... and ohh we enjoyed it like hell used to have fights, one would say that your foot was on the line the other would say no it wasnt... and these fights would be all sorted out when the play time came next evening...:)

and when we used to get tired and even when we felt thirsty like hell... nobody went back home to drink water so as to prevent ourselves from the trap of our mom who wudnt let us go back play on the pretext of some or the other home work... :-D

Great Post !

~Abha

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Nivediji,

Wonderful account of yr childhood days.The sand castles , the games, yes they are great memories, the most precious for us adults.

Thanks and regards.kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Abhaji,

That was a good one abot not going back home to drink water, bcs mom may give u some work and make u stay at home:-(

Yes childhood days are great,I pity todays children,who have just electonic gadjets toplay with,no real friends with whom u can laugh ,cry,fight,and make up.

Regards.kamal

10. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Stumbled on this blog by chance.

Childhood days are ones which you just can't stop reminicising. Me being the yougest in our neighbourhood was a pampered kid...though everyone took care that i don't become a spoilt sport.

Would like to add a couple of more games to the list that you have i.e hide and seek and gilli danda.

We had a temple just across our house and here the RSS people used to have their shakhas and they all used to play kho kho which is yet another interesting game.

Even today, when all the cousins gather...we still play cards, ludo, sankes and ladder, monopoly etc.

At night in our society the kids come down to play badminton...so some of us too join in at times and have a great time with them.

We still come up with some silly things and do keep in touch with the child within us. It really eases us of the tensions and worries that are part and parcel of our lives.