1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Childhood dreams

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rheaa, Aug 24, 2011.

1. rheaa

rheaa Silver IL'ite

On my way home today, I met my friend and her 5 year old daughter at the supermarket. After some chit-chatting, we asked the girl what she wants to become when she grows up. Without blinking an eyelid, she 'I want to be Mom'. My friend and i had a good laugh. With that I remembered what my childhood dreams were.

When I was 6, I decided to be a doctor. Not sure why but I guess most girls at that age decide to be a doctor! At 7, my wish was to be a sales-girl (haha, I was so fascinated by all the shops). At the age of 8, I wanted to own a sweet shop (my love for sweets). Then when I was 9, I wanted to be a nun! At 10, an air-hostess...11, journalist or newsreader.....12, lawyer.

At 13, I realized the following -
    Thanks to my fear for dissections or even the sight of blood, I dropped the idea of becoming a doctor!
    I wanted to be well educated, so sales-girl was out of question.
    I needed to earn money first to have my own (sweet) shop, so it cannot be done.
    Nun..hmmm...what to say about this now!
    Air-hostess was attractive option but I felt I didn't fit the physical features.
    Was worried about violence news coverage or criminal cases thanks to my knowledge from movies where the villains are always behind the good journalist or lawyer (I didn't want that to happen to me...see how imaginative I am:))

I didn't know what I really wanted to become career-wise. But I remember, most of the time throughout my childhood, I wanted to be an adult asap!! At that age, adult seemed to be the best thing....u can sleep late, watch serials, go to office (that is what I knew but not how easy/difficult to deal with work there!), take leaves, etc to mention a few!

2. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Rhea,

Everyone has dreams and ambitions in life but only few achieve to what they want in life... a nice blog..

Shanti

3. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

same pinch. i always dreamt of being someone as soon as I find it interesting. way back from the cotton candy selling business, to waitress to receptionist to hospital nurse to... uh! but now sitting in a private sector where I am not allowed to take my own breaks, where I will have to 'prove' myself to someone else... oh dont ask :(

yeah.. as you said, childhood will always want to grow up. but once grown up, we realize if we can go back to our childhood days. thats life!

4. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Rhea,

In t he childhood we are easily getting fascinated of all the things and not in a poisition to decide which is really good for our life??? Maturity needs for us to have ambition and to attain and achieve the goal. Me too had some ideas like that Later my career changed a lot. Childhood dreams and enjoyment cannot be mentioned in a single always my dear IL

5. rheaa

rheaa Silver IL'ite

sorry for the late replies but thank you for your comments - shanti, tuffyshri (same pinch :)) and sreemanavaneeth!

6. roamin

roamin New IL'ite

nice post! I wanted to be a doctor and became a doctor, but for reasons different from what I had in childhood. But I never wanted to grow up, I grew up very reluctantly. I knew it was a lot of hard work and lot of responsibilities :)