1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Child talking to inanimate objects

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sindhumanoj, Jan 20, 2013.

1. sindhumanoj

sindhumanoj Senior IL'ite

Dear all,

I have a daughter 10 yrs old. She is a single child and we live in a joint family.

She is in the habit of talking to her dolls. If the dolls are not around even 2 pencils or sketch pens will suffice for her.
    She is into this habit from a very young age. Earlier I never used to bother about this behaviour. But these days I am worried about this behaviour.
    I have quietly listened to her conversations many a times. They are either classroom situations or some kind of dialogues exchanged while playing.

Harmless dialects , but I am worried if this behaviour is common among children of this age?
    Initially I thought it was because she had no siblings. But she would slip into this act even when her cousins are here. She has a good set of friends at school and at the apartment.

Anybody else who has experienced this?

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

If it's any consolation, I am an adult, and I talk to inanimate objects all the time, especially my computer! I talk to myself, I have a running dialogue going especially when I am struggling with complex technical issues.
    I am not kidding.
    In my opinion, your daughter has an active imagination. That is a great thing!
    Just leave her be. She will grow out of it in her own time.

3 people like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Brought back such lovely memories. My daughter used to do exactly this at around 8-11 yrs. Line up the barbies and the not-barbies, and talk to them about imaginary situations. She also was kind enough to give the dolls also some dialogues to deliver. And mostly classroom situations or other play related interactions.

I also worried about it, but it too passed. Though what worried me most at that time was that she used to imitate me sometimes, as the scolding/nagging/reminding mother. Imitation was not the best form of flattery there. :)

I think your child is doing fine.

Wait till the teen years set in... at times you'll wish she spoke to dolls and not you. :)

8 people like this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

If you can discreetly film, record the conversations, and keep it secret, this would make a great present when she has a child of her own!
    :cheers

7 people like this.
  5. sashacurios

sashacurios Silver IL'ite

Aww thats cute... I used to do it when i was a kid and used to love all that.
    Yes as 1 ilite suggest record it... And try enjoy it! Its cute and innocent act of her.

1 person likes this.
  6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Sounds like a creative little girl to me.

1 person likes this.
  7. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi sindhumanoj, I read your post and just wanted to let you know that I too experienced something very similar when my youngest child was growing up. My child has two siblings and I was home all the time available to take care of her. Yet, there were numerous occasions in which she would collect all of her stuffed animals, and create a classroom-like atmosphere in her room. She would then read books to her stuffed animals and talk to them. She has grown up to be an intelligent individual, always found keeping herself busy.

In my opinion, your daughter is simply keeping her mind busy which is not at all something unordinary. I am sure your little one has an active mind and likes to keep herself occupied-something which is perfectly normal for a child.

Once again, I wouldn't say that this is unusual behaviour at all as she may just be a very reflective child who reiterates conversations, something which displays a speculative and thoughtful personality, and something which should not worry you at all.

2 people like this.
  8. rsk11584

rsk11584 Silver IL'ite

She may also seem to have imaginary friends, or might be seeing / made friends with some spirits try to ask her the name of her friend with whom she is talking, and further details like what dress her friend is wearing, does her friend like this dish etc, might be she is in touch with some spirits. 10 years surely means she must be going to some school how is her academic progression and friends, does she not have friends in school , neighbourhood, to play with? because till i was 22 years of age i was always with friends and now only after 25 yrs i am talking to inanimate objects , dogs , cats, computers , thinking loudly because i dont have anyone to play or hangout with ;(

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    I suggest why dont you help her develop dairy writing... this will benefit her in two ways a writing habit and to de-stress herself in future too

4 people like this.
  10. Eraser

Eraser Silver IL'ite

Kids needs open ears / heart that can listen to their thoughts or ideas

Ensure you and other family members spend enough time with kid - it should be more listening to kid than you people talking. Hear her out and put open ended questions to the kid when spending time.