1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Child labour in TV shows, advts?

Discussion in 'TV' started by flowerlady, Nov 5, 2009.

1. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

This is a very controversial issue as more and more pushy parents are sending their little ones to act in reality shows ,advts and serials. Some say that it is nurturing the childs talent but others cry fowl as parents rake in big money as little ones slog under arc lights earning fame and jam for the parents.
    Neetu Singh ,top heroine of Bollyhood in the 80s started her career as a child artiste in films and later acted in Hindi films has said that she hated working on sets . Her mom made her earn the bread and butter by forcing her to work by fair or fowl means. She left films after marriage and has always regretted her lost childhood. Honey Irani another child star has the same grouse.Sarika is another example who hated her mother for making her slog.
    The Home Alone star kid is also a prime example.Michael Jackson and his siblings,when young, underwent long hours of practice to perfect their song and dance act under the eagle eyes of their father. Some say that MJs Neverneverland ranch was a reflection of his lost childhood!

Why would a small child sing, dance ,cry and act for the fun of it at odd hours? All this is big money , the parents pocket the sum and become important as they controll the child and his/her performances.
    Do parents fulfill their own desires of fame and fortune through their kids ? :hide:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009

2. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Yes , I would say these parents are torturing their kids for money and fame.

Nurturinh the kids talent?Come on , This is pushing the kid to the edge for their monetory benefits.Ask these parents if they would let their kid get "Nurtured" if they are not given money.:rant

I don't understand how the govt can let this happen when they cry so much about child labour.There should be something done to ban this or to ease out the situtaion.:rant

3. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hi,

A highly controvesial topic. I will tell what I know about the same. Child Labour is illegal, when forced. That is my understnanding. Go through this link - Child Labour It says making a child workin hazardous circumstances is illegal, but does not speak on anything else.

As a part of the INKO Film Festival last year, I happened to watch a short film made by ace women director/AIDS activist/ former actress and a child artiste herself - Rohini. Please find more details on the movie here

The movie titled Silent Hues revolves around the lives of 6 children who are child artistes (Between 18 months to 11 years). It explores the childhood and involves face to face interviews with the children. And yes,it is true. Children do face a pathetic time. Forget the major child stars (Shalini, Shamili, Meena) or the famous ones ( the one who acted in Jillnu Oru Kadhal and the one is TZP), but it is the ones who act as a group - in a school scene, or in a fairyland with white veils around them that i felt the most empathetic for. They are paid a average of Rs. 300 per day, and yes, their parents send them only for money.

The documentary has a face to face meeting with the kid who played vikram's sister in anniyan. She speaks like a professional.Her parents are well earning members, and she seems to enjoy acting. She was almost like Meena :). It wont be suprising to see on the top league tomorrow. There was also a section on the child artiste who acted in My Friend Ganesha (Ehsaas), who has been portrayed in the media as a boy child though she is a girl child! The kid was so sweet to look at.Check the link here

The most touching part was when Rohini came to speak herself about it. She is a child artiste herself, and spoke on how a sound level of confidence arises, and how child labour should not be present.

I echo similar thoughts. One cannot ban, rather should not ban children from TV/Movies/Advts. The best thing to do is to make their lives easier. Shooting has to only be in weekends/holidays. The child must be made to study, and working hours and conditions have to be improved drastically.

Cheers
    Arch

P.S: I think the Surf Excel ad is cute, I dont see it as a exertion of labour, because viewing it that way would also make J&J ads the same.

4. flowerlady

As long as a child enjoys acting ,its fine. But its after the child grows into an adult he/she realises what they have missed.Several actresses have a grouse that they did not recieve a formal education and missed the normal school and childhood activities. Small children do not realise that they are being used by their parents as earning members until they grow up and then its too late. They begin to dislike their parents for the role reversal as they are forced to become providers at a tender age.
    Acting in advts is not a lengthy job like a serial or a movie. Later on its very difficult for child stars to adjust to a life of a normal person withour arc lights, fame and money.

5. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

I really see it as exploitation of kids-

especially tender infants(almost days or weeks old) act in ads and movies...

Who think of the potential risk they are exposed to-

Infection risk in a crowded and hot place.

Harsh lights and sound

Their feed and sleep schedule affected

Parents do it purely for money -

I really feel sad for these infants being exploited -

These kids cannot even express their needs -their only language is crying.

Even this is child labor-IN ITS WORST FORM-What do you think?

6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

FLowerlady & shakambari,

If you feel it is child labour, do you say it should be banned? If yes, then who will act in movies like TZP?

Arch

7. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Yes Arch.

I feel atleast infants acting should be banned.

Would you like to be in the infants place-being under harsh lites and dusty

noisy and crowded sets at ungodly hours...

Being flung by villains...left in the rain when they fight...etc.

(Use graphics by all meansbut it is costlier than paying for a baby actor)

No child should be allowed to act till it is able to express its feelings in words .

WE HAVE SPCA but WE ALSO NEED ONE SPCC to look into this matter.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  8. flowerlady

There is an interesting article about baby stars in Hindustan Times, there is a doctor who is a baby model co-ordinator ,she charges 30% of a babys earnings as her fee.
    The baby shown as guest in Pati Patni aur Woh in Raakhis house is a veteran and started as a 40 day old star for polio drops.The parents are very proud that he has many assignments now!
    A new online contest will begin for choosing a baby star for a diaper advt, the babies will be observed in natural surroundings ie a playpen . The baby will get a 1 lakh modelling contract .Nobody is forcing the parents to send their babies say the organisers!
    A still photograph can be tolerable but working long hours at the convenience of celebrity judges in singing ,dancing shows at odd hours must be gruelling no doubt.

Its true that most people feel proud if their child gets public adulation , the child/baby may not realise it but its the parents who benefit both financially and publically. They talk about talent and not money and fame in which they bask and now well-to-do parents have also jumped into the fray.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009