1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Child-free Lifestyle????

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anuyogam1988, Oct 10, 2016.

1. anuyogam1988

anuyogam1988 Gold IL'ite

I am married for 5 years, and we didn't have children by choice. We are planning not to have in the future. We both shared same view of life. We love each others company and life is as complete as it could be. And we have no regrets over the choice we made.
    Any child-free couples in IL? Why did you choose not to have kids?

Laks09, SGBV, madras2018 and 6 others like this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Excellent that you know your mind. I don't know if they're on IL but I know two different couples in their late 30s/ early 40s who've been married for over 15 years and have chosen not to have kids.

One has a jet setting lifestyle. Another has one very driven corporate person and another who is following her passion. They catch up on their favourite cultural and sport events over the world and have great adventure holidays. They are happy. And it shows.

sindmani, Laks09, SGBV and 5 others like this.
  3. anuyogam1988

anuyogam1988 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this :) :)

sindmani likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I was like that for 7 years..then I could not take it anymore!Now i have a beautiful girl and it is crazy sometimes but cannot imagine life without her..

I personally feel unless you are career oriented or have a job or interests which keeps you very busy,or you have an ambition like caring for elderly people or orphanage etc PLUS you should have a good group of friends and family near you it is tough to be child free forever..

Husband wife is fine but there should be something extra to keep you happy.I am not necessarily saying you surely need to have kids but without any other serious distraction or enjoyments it is tough..

again,this is just one opinion.It is just me.I am not career oriented nor do i have lots of friends or family around me.I had a kid and she is my life and i love her.

There are still lot of people who are child free and are happy but i do not know their personal life

blindpup10, SGBV, type2 and 5 others like this.
  5. rajkumarxxx

rajkumarxxx Bronze IL'ite

I respect your choice, though it is very rare. Curious to know the reasons, which made you and your spouse to opt for this choice. If possible, please tell about it.

6. anuyogam1988

anuyogam1988 Gold IL'ite

We are pretty outdoorsy, we do forest camping and other outdoor stuffs. I am extremely career focused but it is definitely not the reason why we decide not to have kids. I feel people can have kids and still have great career. But I feel kids are not for me. My husband feels the same. We love spending time with animals and nature. I am a person who loves alone time with books. If I am not with my husband/ my close circle, I love taking solo forest backpacking trips with my dog to enjoy nature and alone time.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Why did u occur to you to post this thread now?r u curious about how the society sees our decision?

If you are confident about your decision then good for u.dont worry how the society sees you as we are all going to give opinions based on our own lives.

Because you guys r young now it is fine.take some more time and enjoy.if u are ready to go for kids go ahead but remember one thing.from the words of sadguru"having kids is a minimum 20 year old project.if you are determined to complete it successfully go on else quit before starting".

Whatever your decision is go ahead.we wish u guys all the happiness in life.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    momsky and anuyogam1988 like this.
  8. anuyogam1988

anuyogam1988 Gold IL'ite

I know how society will see our decision. I have been through that. May be to connect with people with similar tastes?? Also interested to know why couples choose to go for it.

SGBV, Rihana and anika987 like this.
  9. anuyogam1988

anuyogam1988 Gold IL'ite

Awww thank you :) Enjoy the motherhood phase Anika :) :) <3

anika987 likes this.
  10. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Happy to come across likeminded people. I am a child free person ( by choice, no correlation to my rather dysfunctional marriage) . I had told my husband before marriage that I wasn't interested to have kids for at least 10 years after marriage. I was in mid twenties then . My husband is too much into having his peace and being left alone and doesn't care a hoot about this whole thing .I thought maybe by 30 I would change my mind. In my 30s I am even more stronger in my child free belief. This is specifically for me, not that I judge other people for having children.

We have freedom with regard to career choices, travelling on a whim, financial freedom. And most importantly good sleep and peace of mind. Aware of the joys of raising children, but I don't feel i am strong enough to endure some of the pain and suffering that comes along with it. Having my time to do things I want to do is super important to me.

There was a time when everyone around me my age were having kids. I had a temporary identity crisis. I just couldn't relate to that maternal instinct . I have come a long way since then. It helps that we are living abroad away from family . My daily interaction is with colleagues and friends , so my child free status is something that doesn't matter in any way. It's only during trips home that it dawns upon me that I am treading a different path.

This is a quote that I once read and which is very close to me,

The old adage “wherever you go, there you are,” applies to motherhood and marriage just as much as it does to anything else in life. That gnawing sense of emptiness you feel in the pit of your stomach? No soulmate or cherished baby is ever going to obliterate it for you. The only person who can contend with the deep-down scary you-ness of you is yourself.