1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Child care

Discussion in 'Baby Sitting / Day Care' started by shubhavasudevan, Sep 26, 2006.

1. shubhavasudevan

shubhavasudevan Senior IL'ite

Hi everyone
    I thought I will start a new thread related to child care . I am sure now almost all the kids will be going to childcare centres or to some care outside home atleast few days in a week or full time before they start school. It is a common practice in the western countries and is fast catching up in India also.

I have been working in a daycare centre in Canada for a few years and I would like to share my experiences and knowledge with all the mothers. I also welcome suggestions and opinions from all. I amsure this will be a very useful discussion.

To begin with I would like to ask the parents who like to put their kids under care outside their homes- What do you look in a day care centre before you decide upon a particular centre?

Looking forward to your mails

shubha.

2. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

Safety - first priority

hi Shuba,

My daughter Ananya will be 4 yr this September. She is very shy and reserved. She is attending Day care from when she was 2 yrs old. Her first Day Care in Reston, VA, was very good and safe. They had cameras in the rooms and we could monitor our child on the web anytime. She loved to go there 'coz she could play with other kids. We moved to Houston and she was in a new Daycare. Here, she was bitten by another child 5 times in 2 weeks. I complained to the management all the time and they were all promises but no result. I changed the Day care. She is very safe now. In fact this Day care too has cameras and I can monitor my child any time I want.

To me safety of my child is the first priority. I cannot work peacefully knowing my child may be physically abused. Learning to read, social skills ... all come after safety!

That dreadful Day care is now closed. But my little one still has the marks on her back and remembers that boy!

regards,
    Sharada

3. shubhavasudevan

dear sharadha

Saw your reply. It is sad to hear what happened to your daughter. I am sure it must have left a bad memory in your mind.

Many parents donot give much importance while leaving their kids in day care. First it is good to visit a few day cares and if you know anybody who has children going to that day care enquire abt the same. Also many day cares provide open window system - which means you can visit the day care any time of the day and stay there for some time and look around. Another important thing is teacher child ratio. Here in Canada they have this raio system where one person is allowed to take care of certain number of kids under particular age group. In our day care for babies under 1year old we have one staff in charge for each child. I fhte staff ratio is good then there won't be any incidents like what happend to your daughter.

Visit a few day cares get enough info and then decide upon one. If anyone is interested I can suggest some more questions you have to take into consideration before choosing a day care.

regards
    shubha.

4. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

Lincoln letter to his son's school teacher

Hi Shubha,
    Thank you. To tell you the truth, I was really impressed by the Director of the Day Care. I figured out it was only “Sales” talk she did. My little one’s room had 5 kids - 2 girls and 3 boys. Anyways… she is doing fine now!

At this juncture, I would like to share this with you and all the teachers who can make or mar a life.

Abraham Lincoln's Letter to His Son's Teacher

He will have to learn, I know,
    that all men are not just,
    all men are not true.
    But teach him also that
    for every scoundrel there is a hero;
    that for every selfish Politician,
    there is a dedicated leader...
    Teach him for every enemy there is a friend,

Steer him away from envy,
    if you can,
    teach him the secret of
    quiet laughter.

Let him learn early that
    the bullies are the easiest to lick...
    Teach him, if you can,
    the wonder of books...
    But also give him quiet time
    to ponder the eternal mystery of birds in the sky,
    bees in the sun,
    and the flowers on a green hillside.

In the school teach him
    it is far honourable to fail
    than to cheat...
    Teach him to have faith
    in his own ideas,
    even if everyone tells him
    they are wrong...
    Teach him to be gentle
    with gentle people,
    and tough with the tough.

Try to give my son
    the strength not to follow the crowd
    when everyone is getting on the band wagon...
    Teach him to listen to all men...
    but teach him also to filter
    all he hears on a screen of truth,
    and take only the good
    that comes through.

Teach him if you can,
    how to laugh when he is sad...
    Teach him there is no shame in tears,
    Teach him to scoff at cynics
    and to beware of too much sweetness...
    Teach him to sell his brawn
    and brain to the highest bidders
    but never to put a price-tag
    on his heart and soul.

Teach him to close his ears
    to a howling mob
    and to stand and fight
    if he thinks he's right.
    Treat him gently,
    but do not cuddle him,
    because only the test
    of fire makes fine steel.

Let him have the courage
    to be impatient...
    let him have the patience to be brave.
    Teach him always
    to have sublime faith in himself,
    because then he will have
    sublime faith in mankind.

This is a big order,
    but see what you can do...
    He is such a fine fellow,
    my son!

regards,
    Sharada

5. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Hi sharada,

That was a wonderful letter,thanks for sharing with us.

6. shubhavasudevan

hi sharadha

that's a good poem and thanks for sharing the same with us. I am glad your daughter is under good care now. The day care people don't tell everything to you when you go to leave the kids .

Best wishes
    shubha.

7. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

Lincoln letter to his son's school teacher

You are most welcome, Mohana & Shubha!
    This letter of Lincoln is not very popular. But I like it. So I share it. :)
    Regards,
    Sharada

8. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

play school and day care here in India

Hello every one,
    I would like to share my experience about play school and day care centers here in India.
    My younger daughter is attending a play school near my house. The school is really good and teaches the children with so many activities like coloring, stringing the beads, craft activities, tying the shoe lace, chanting shlokas, dancing, singing and all. No wonder my kid really enjoys it.

They usually celebrate the kid's birthday by cutting cake and sharing choclates with their class room nicely decorated with balloons and singing birthday song.

I wanted to go for my girl's b'day celebration and take some snaps and enjoy those lovely moments with her but the school administration told that the parents are not allowed as other kids might start missing thier parents.
    so much for the transparency and open window system here in India.
    Leave alone birthdays they never allow parents to join their kids just for fun on any other day.
    Technology have not yet reached here in India where we could monitor our child's activities from home.
    india is growing and gearing up for the modern technology but on its own pace.

9. shubhavasudevan

child care - play dough

Hi

Most of you must be getting your kids play dough to play with. You can make your own play dough at home. You can make in small quantities every week and it is not expensive to make at home. Children in all age groups would love palying with it.

The receipe for the paly dough

Boiling water 4 cups
    flour 4 cups
    alum 2 tbsp
    salt 1 cup
    cooking oil 6 tbsp.
    food colouring 1tsp

Reduce the quantity but keep the proportion same. You can keep this play dough stay soft in a zip lock bag. SOme children will tend to eat it as it contains salt. Eating in small quantities is harmless.

Playing with play dough is not just fun, it enhances fine motor skills, and creativity. YOu can give some small cups or small plastic spoons and a chapthi roller to play with .

cheers
    shubha

10. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

This is a nice thread!
    Laxmi, it is a fact that little children take a bit of time adjusting to life without their parents, and it may cause some discomfort to some of the children if they see one child's mother and miss their own.