1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Child Abduction .....stranger danger

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by glascobaby, Nov 23, 2010.

1. glascobaby

glascobaby Silver IL'ite

:spin Now-a-days,its becoming pretty common to hear news about child abduction/kidnapping stories.....While giving a thought, here are my ideas to safegaurd our kids,even if we are not around at times. Please pour and share your ideas and opinions too.So that it will be useful to implement good strategy on our kids about do's and don'ts!:)

Most of the kids are not prepared for the reality of "stranger danger" and, therefore, tend to trust unknown adults.

Most abducted children are eventually recovered. The majority of these children return home with visible or emotional scars. A small number of kidnapped children are never located. And, in rare instances, some abducted children are murdered by the stranger who betrayed their trust.
    Despite the grim day-to-day kidnapped stories, we must cultivate the ability to reduce the likelihood of child abduction. By joining other parents and collectively teaching our kids the importance of stranger danger, we can stop these appalling crimes before they happen.

Recently, one of the news channel says a report - Each year, approximately 58,000 missing children are abducted by non-family members. Typically, strangers who kidnap children commit their crimes with intent to harm their young victims. In nearly 80 percent of non-family child abduction cases,the victim is sexually assaulted or physically abused by the perpetrator.

How we can make a difference for safety measures:(some of my 2cents)

1. we can instruct our children to always walk or play in groups. Predators search for isolated targets such as children who are walking alone or playing alone.

2. We should always know where our kids are going, even if they leave the house with another trusted adult. If your children spend time at their friends' homes, you should discuss a mutual child-watch plan with other parents. If your children are young, explain to these parents that you do not allow your children to play outside unsupervised. Promise to keep a similar close watch on their children when they play at house. If your children walk or ride their bikes to other nearby houses, designate safe places for your child to run if threatened by a stranger.

3. Keep a list of phone numbers of other nearby parents and offer your numbers to these parents. You can quickly check on the location of your children if needed.

4. Teach your kids about strangers. Tell them that a stranger is any adult they do not know. Introduce your children to other parents you trust. Meet the children of these parents, so you will become a familiar face to the kids. Ideally, these children will be able to pick out a few friendly adults in a crowd of strangers.

5. In addition to other parents, your kids should know which strangers are safe. Store clerks, police officers, teachers, people who are behind desks in office buildings, mail-carriers and mothers with children are generally safe strangers. :idea

1 person likes this.

2. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hello glascobaby,

While I loved your post, is there anyone calle a safed stranger? I dont think so. Children must be taught to understand certain signals, and distrust them even if they come from safe strangers. I saw an episode of TV serial Crime Patrol, which is based on real life crime stories, and it showed how a child's own uncle (father's brother) kidnapped and killed him for ransom!! This child has practically grown up with his uncle.

As parents we need to be super careful, and only trust a few people to take care of our children, I guess.

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Glascobaby...
    Wonderful thread...Thanks for sharing your useful insights.. And I think as a first step we should teach our kids not to trust all people... I have seen many kids interacting with strangers without inhibition and I think this is dangerous as the kid can become easy target too... Caution should be exercised so that we dont put wrong notions ... Parents should take time to listen to the fears of the kids I have seen many parents not willing to listen to the kids story however busy they maybe...

Moumita...
    Yes thats so horrifying trend we know longer know who to trust our kids with....

1 person likes this.