Chikan Kari work of Lucknow

Discussion in 'Uttar Pradesh' started by sethihardeep, Mar 10, 2009.

1. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

"Lucknow chikan is perhaps one of the finest works of embroidery that one can find here in India. It is known for its exquisite style and fine needlework and is unparalleled when it comes to refinement. The Mughal queen Noor Jehan revived this style in 655 A.D. in India. Lucknowi Chikan Kari gained an entirely new look as it was much preferred and supported by the Mughal rulers. This lead to further refinement and improvement of the Lucknow Chikan embroidery work. Today, Lucknowi chikan Kari is synonymous with fashion and is worn by almost every celebrity at least once.

Lucknow surely enjoys undisputed supremacy in producing India's finest chikan embroidery. However, chikan embroidery was never this famous a few years back due to lack of exposure and the reluctance of the craftsmen of Lucknow to alter the original designs according to contemporary tastes. But due to increasing demands and the much wanted media exposure, the newer generation of Lucknow craftsmen are producing newer designs and patterns that has led to its popularity not only in India but also all over the world.

You can find chikan embroidery in almost each and every piece of garment. Not just women, even men are known to wear chikan embroidery shirts and kurtas. Every pattern is unique and has its own charm. Apart from clothes, one can find chikan embroidery in bed sheets, cushion covers, pillow covers and table cloths. Chikan embroidery combined with crystal work and embellishments can make anyone look and feel royal and elegant. So make sure you shop for Lucknow chikan embroidery apparels when you go shopping in Lucknow."

Dress1.jpg

2. toolika

toolika Bronze IL'ite

ChikanKari Embroidery<!--pg heading ends--><!--body starts-->

<!--page img starts-->[​IMG] <!--page img ends-->Chikankari was nurtured in Uttar Pradesh and primarily in Lucknow. The work is done on very fine muslin and now on georgette and chiffon and other fine fabrics. It is more suited for the outerwear but these days there are certain exclusive creations using Chikan work in Cushion covers, pillow covers and table linen. Partition curtains with the chikan embroidery are fast gaining ground.

History of Chikankari
    Traditionally Chicknkari is the white thread embroidery done on the white muslin or mulmul. The word chikan comes from the Persian word Chakeen meaning making delicate patterns on the fabric.

The art is said to be introduced by Noorjahan the beautiful queen of Emperor Jahangir. She is said to be an expert in embroidery and inspired by the Turkish embroidery. According to Megasthenes, the chikan originated in East Bengal. He mentions chikan, the florals on fine muslins in 3rd century BC. The craftsmen believe that the origin goes back to the time of Prophet. It is believed that while he was passing through a village in Uttar Pradesh, he requested a villager for water. On being offered that, he gave the art of Chikankari to the poor villager as an art that will never let him go hungry.

Process and Stitches of Chikankari
    Whatever be the origin, the intricacy and the patterns remind you of the fine marble carvings and jalis. Today the apart from the white muslin, light tinted fabrics are used. The thread is prefered white. The most commendable part of chikankari is the open work ground, an effect of drawn thread work is achieved without drawing out any.

The most common motif used is that of a creepers. Floral motifs may enrich the entire garment or just one corner. Among the floral motifs embroidered, the jasmine, rose, flowering stems, lotus and the paisley motif are the most popular.

There is simply no match for the shadow work involved in the chikan. In this the herringbone stitch or Bakhiya as called locally is worked on the wrong side of the cloth. Looking on the right side the effect is that of the shadows between the double running stitch. Another variation of shadow work is created by cutting the patterns in the same fabric as the base material and stitching it on the wrong side.

There are other stitches to give different stitches. The tiny raised flowers are made with stitches resembling French knots. The raised effect is evened off using the simple stem stitch called Rahet. Various effects can be created using a variety of stitches and combination. Mainly buttonhole stitch (Hool), running stitch, and chain stitch (Zanzeer) are used to give the fillers and yet not give it a cluttered appearance. The jali or the lattice created by the thread tension on the cloth is most remarkable.
    <!--g ad btm starts-->

<script language="JavaScript" src="/google-js/google-ad-btm.js"></script><!--/** The JavaScript returned from the following page uses* the parameter values assigned above to populate an array* of ad objects. Once that array has been populated,* the JavaScript will call the google_ad_request_done* function to display the ads.*/--><script language="JavaScript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script><script src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/render_ads.js"></script><script>window.google_render_ad();</script><script language="JavaScript1.1" src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-8525015516580200&dt=1238400999921&lmt=1238400999&skip=10&num_ads=4&output=js&correlator=1238400987812&channel=4177095132&pv_ch=4177095132%2B&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.indian-embroidery.com%2Fchikankari-embroidery.html&ad_type=text&ea=0&feedback_link=on&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.in%2Fsearch%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dchikankari%26meta%3D&frm=0&ga_vid=1979454545.1238400988&ga_sid=1238400988&ga_hid=775764472&flash=10.0.22.87&u_h=800&u_w=1280&u_ah=770&u_aw=1129&u_cd=32&u_tz=330&u_his=2&u_java=true&dtd=32"></script>

Attached Files:

3. meerapodwal

meerapodwal New IL'ite

Wow Roopa, this is just spectacular work of art.
    Thank you so much for the lovely pic and the information. Is chikan kari practiced outside Lucknow?

Lovingly

4. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi meera

thanks so much for the fb, i am really not aware if lucknowi chickan work is practised elsewhere also...

but i guess this work done elsewhere would not supplement the original work and culture of Lucknow !!

5. Madamcurie

Madamcurie Junior IL'ite

Hi Roopa,
    Beautiful was really taken up by them is there any i could out source it from the manufacturers.

Clementina

6. archu0205

archu0205 New IL'ite

I will like to inform all of you that Lucknow Chikan Craft (Lucknowi Chikankari) is now Registered and Protected by Geographical Indication Act 2003.
    If any of you is interested to buy products of Lucknow Chikan kari pls contact me
    +91-9415337692

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  7. meerapodwal

meerapodwal New IL'ite

Hi Archu,

Can you please explain more about Geographical Indication Act 2003? How does it facilitate Chikan kari?

And yes dear, you should not post your personal contact details in a public forum. Mods please take note.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. Madamcurie

Madamcurie Junior IL'ite

Hi archu,
    could you please send me the rates.

Clementina

9. Kamini_sg

Kamini_sg New IL'ite

Hi

Can you send me the rates and your work please... you can pm me.

10. khannamilan

khannamilan New IL'ite

Hi
    Its true that Chikan work looks very preety and delicate. it give garments very sophasticated and decent look, if it is done on delicate and light coloured fabric.But with dark colours it give trendy look.
    Now a days it is done on diffrent fabric it can be comfortable in winters also. Previously it was only be comfortable in summers.

I am doing this work on different materials like :ideasilk,brocade,chanderi,orgenza.I am doing fusion of ethnic and designer chikankari.You can say I am:crazy 4 this art work.
    If u girls are also crazy about this kind of work you can contact me on +91-9415109684.
    for professionals I am having exclusive elegant suits ,trendy kurtis,ethnic saress.