Chettinad delights

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Annasri, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Annasri

Annasri Silver IL'ite

Hi friends ,I would like to share some tasty food from my place,love to hear from u ladies,let me start with a sweet item a very popular dish cooked on occasion like marriage etc,
    Governarisi(black gluttino rice ,white gluttino rice is also available but we people prefer black)
    This rice is available in most of big supermarkets in India and in Singapore nd Malaysia.
    Let me start with the ingredients
    I cup rice
    3 cups water
    I cup sugar
    2'to 3 tbsp coconut
    2tbsp ghee
    Soak the rice overnight,the rice we get in Singapore,Malay,need not b soaked
    Then pressure cook ,it takes some time to b cooked,I normally keep I medium sim and after a whistle I open and give a mix and then keep in sim and pressure cook again it takes atleast more than half an hour,after the rice is cooked nicely add sugar,and mix for a while ,nd then add coconut and finish it with ghee.
    Hi Ladies if u like my recipe I am interested to post some more chettinad food.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    3 people like this.

2. Annasri

Annasri Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,I want to put the picture of the rice ,but I don't know how to post .if people staying in abudhabi u get this rice in 7 emirates only opp to Salam lulu

3. neeluvaranasi

neeluvaranasi New IL'ite

what is this dish called.nice can u post the pictures of the rice which is used in this dish.yes post more recipes

4. neeluvaranasi

neeluvaranasi New IL'ite

do we get this rice in bangalore if s where and what is this rice called

5. kalaprabha

kalaprabha Silver IL'ite

I got it from costco (USA) its named as black rice.its very healthy and tasty.

6. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

Annasri, thanks for the recipe. My mom packed this rice for me when I first came to US after marriage. I don't know much cooking that time, I pressure cooked the rice with sugar, the rice was not cooked even after 10 whistles. Then mom told me that sugar needs to be added after the rice is cooked. Love the purple/reddish sticky kavunarisi. Thanks!

7. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

Annasri, can you post the recipe for kola urundai with minced meat.

8. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

And also the recipe for tomato soup that serve in thonnai during marriages. Thnx