Cherrapunji - A Dream Come True

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by shaliniku, Nov 10, 2009.

1. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

:)
    Visiting Cherrapunji has always been a dream for me since I read about it in my Geography classes. So when we planned to visit Meghalaya my first priority was to visit the wettest place on earth. On a sunny morning we started in a car from Shillong for Cherrapunji. High above the foaming rivers and hills the city is so pristine that it immediately stole my heart. The weather was chilly with occasional showers which added to the beauty of the place.

Cherrapunji will be always cherished as a place which offered so many spectacular views. The views of rolling plains of Bangladesh and high hills were panoramic. The rare orchids and ferns made our day.

2. pihusangma

pihusangma New IL'ite

The orange orchards, at Cherrapunji, were picture perfect. So were the Kasi villages, clumped together in the lower valleys. Of all these the most spectacular was the Mawsmai Falls located a few km from Cherrapunji. The cascade of over 1035 m high stole my heart. The foaming and frothing of the waterfall was worth a view.

I also tried to enter the maze of passages beneath the caves but could not proceed very far. Cherrapunji also holds interest for historians. All over the place huge monoliths carrying memories of Khasi people are scattered which are worth studying. We also explored one of the local mines one day and saw mining very closely. That was also a grand experience.

3. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

The land of rain has other exotic things to offer. I chanced upon Cherrapunji in a rainy season and learnt this. I simply fell in love with its mists, swirling clouds and pattering of rains.

It was raining since we reached Cherrapunji. Yet, I did not feel bored. I listened to the rains dancing on rooftops and treetops and viewed the innumerable streams that were bathing the city. When the rain stopped and sun shined through the clouds, Cherrapunji was bathed by a strange light. Rare orchids blooming profusely, the view of the plains of Bangladesh and cliffs at a distance, all became a reality. I have never seen such rainbows in my life.

4. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

We were lucky to have a good guide while touring Shillong. On our way to Cherrapunji he suggested to halt at Mawkdok Bridge. The awesome beauty of this place indicated what lay ahead of us. We again stopped a few km away from Cherrapunji. Walking through rumpling grasslands and some beautiful rock structures we came to the Dainthlen waterfall.

We stayed there for a while looking at the cascading water and the froths. Of all the waterfalls I saw in Cherrapunji the most spectacular was the Nohkalikai falls. The thundering water created a deafening sound and mists just blinded us. But once our vision got cleared we were amazed by the beauty that lay ahead of us.

5. pihusangma

pihusangma New IL'ite

Mawsynram

From Cherrapunji, we went to Mawsynram. It is just 10 km from Cherrapunji. Other than rains the place has some popular attractions too. One of these is the Mawsynram cave. We reached the base of the peak and started trekking up.

My knowledge of trekking came very handy. The peak of the hill has a cave locally known as Mawjymbuin. The cave has natural formations of stalagmite. The gigantic formation looks like a “Shivalinga”. We were astounded by the beauty of nature’s creation. From the peak we could see the misty hills and deep valleys, mighty rivers and plains of Bangladesh.
    The view was so panoramic that it was difficult to leave that place.

6. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

We paid a visit to the Mawlong peak, popularly known as the David Scott Memorial, for its picturesque view. Another landmark of Cherrapunji is the Thangkarang Park. The grand Kynrem falls that cascades in three stages was a feast to the soul. Not to forget the giant Koh-ramhah rock. It is actually a single rock in the shape of an inverted basket. We could not help but express surprise at nature’s creations.

I was quite enthusiastic about trekking to the Umnnoi living root bridge but did not have the guts to go.

We tasted the Cherrapunji oranges. When I returned from Cherrapunji I brought back not only a jar of orange honey but lots of memories to cherish for years.

7. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

Nambor

As we were approaching the Nambor Wildlife Sanctuary the wilderness started gripping us. With lots of enthusiasm we entered the forest area. We started moving slowly savoring the beauty of the Himalayan forests.

We moved through dense forests glimpsing monkeys and wild cats. Strikingly beautiful orchids that bloomed profusely greeted us. We also viewed a herd of elephants albeit from a distance.

We watched several varieties of birds also. The entire forest area is dotted with silvery ponds that enhance its beauty. The Himalayan ranges created a scenic backdrop. The colorful butterflies and moths fluttering in the air created a myriad of colors. Our Nambor tour was short but a memorable one.

8. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Numaligarh

We were given a project of urban studies by our college. Since one of our friend’s uncle works in Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL) we chose the Numaligarh Township as our subject of study. What started as a theoretical study ended up being an endearing experience.

We landed in Numaligarh on a sunny December afternoon. We were put up in a residential quarter of one of the employees. In the evening we started exploring the place. We strolled through the township. The well planned township with wide roads and green cover astounded us. The landscape was picturesque which is unique to this area. The development of the area has been done preserving the natural beauty.

9. pihusangma

pihusangma New IL'ite

Numaligarh

In Numaligarh, we also visited the Community Centre, Club and parks. The well maintained tennis courts, pools and gyms spoke highly about aesthetic sense of the residents. The people were very friendly and their life style really attracted me. They had recourse to all modern amenities yet lived in close harmony with nature. We had spent few days traveling around the township and exploring it. The tranquility of the place touched our hearts. Far from the hustle of the cities this quaint and verdant city offered so much to us.

We also visited the Butterfly Park and Smritibon which is a park dedicated to herbal medicinal plants. As our vacation ended we had to leave Numaligarh but I still remember the experience as a pleasant one.

10. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Hey the article is good.........but how come the IDs are changing.........or am i reading the article wrongly........:hide: