1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chennai To kumbakonam-Road trip by a food lover

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ashakarthik, Aug 16, 2011.

1. ashakarthik

ashakarthik Silver IL'ite

Hi all:hiya,

I went to kumbakonam last weekend wit my DH.It was a road travel by car.I thought i would guide u by giving the
    restaurant names and description.You can read ahead if u feel it will be useful:))

So my trip went on like this.Since we started on the day of avani avittam(Saturday),we were able to start only in the afternoon by finishing our elaborate lunch at home.

We started around 1:20PM.Headed towards koyambedu.It was two thirty when we came out of city.So we thought we will take a break at thindivanam.

Though my dad suggested mani iyer mess in Acharapakkam for coffee(it is not for pple who are concerned abt ambience.Becuase Am)

We took a break at a motel before tindivanam(Motel Highway).Where u get ok kind of tiffen.Since it was pandigai(festival) day.Thought we will avaoid onion.So ordered vazhaikai bajji.Yes you can have coffee and something to eat there.But dont go for lunch there.Because i donot have much of a hope.

Then we headed towards mayavaram.Since we dint have much time to locate kaliyakudi(famous hotel in mayavaram).We went to Archanas.And yes it was fairly good.

Then we went to kumbakonam straight.We stayed in a hotel which is next to Arya Bhavan.

Dear dont ever make the mistake of going to Break Fast at 9 AM in kumbakonam.Escpecially on sundays.Yo have to just wait.Not only wait but to grab the seat to sit.(Most of us will not be used to that).We waited for a long time to finsh our break fast.

Then we headed to Opiliyappan kovil,Thirunageswaram,thiruvidaimarudur.

Came back for lunch.If u wanna have a good and peaceful lunch.Then go to Hotel Green Park.There as no mad rush(atleast the time we went).Lunch was good with Two Side dish,kootu,sambar,rasam,vethakozhambu,thayir,sadam,aplaam,karudaan(vethal).So we had a good lunch.Then came back to hotel.

Evening we went to Govindapuram.It was a looong queue.We waited for one and half hours to get Vittal and Rkmani Darshan.It was really a memorable moment.When u enter the main hall and get to see vittal.You think as if You are really in front of him.Fantastic Darshan though it was only for few minutes after the long wait.

Then went to Swamimalai Murugan Kovil.It was as usual nice temple to visit.Since it was nine o clock night.Thought we will finish our dinner there.People there told us to go to saravana bhavan.We thought of our chennai saravan bhavan.But it was not that.Instead it was Saravanna's.

They have yummy yummy dosas and uthappams(they had only dosa at that time).But it was really tasty.

Next day we started from kumbakonam.So went to Arya Bhavan at 7:20 AM.There was not that rush.We had our break fast peacefully(i feel they should add some more salt in thier items)

Then we went to Rajagopala swamy kovil in manargude.You can have santhana gopal(bal gopal) in your hands.God it was so cute and nice to hold him.Dont miss that temple if you happen to go to kumbakonam.

We came back to kumbakonam because we cannot miss Venkataramana Hotel there.My dad is always a biiig fan of that.So we thought we will also give it a try.
    Food was awesome.Ambience was good.They have pandi type for lunch(meals or thali).So you dont get a seperate table.We dint get spl lunch(manpower shortage it seems).But i would surely suggest for people who like sadarna aathu saapadu after having different hotel food.So it was almost like i have gone to my place.Had full sapaadu and headed back to chennai.

You can have kumbakonam degree coffee on the way back( i saw it on the bye pass after crossing tindiwanam).We dint have so cannot comment on that:)

It was a wonderful trip on the whole:))

asha

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

It was a nice read AshaKarthik. Will definitely try these places when I plan a pilgrimage later. By the way, good to see a food buf. Am 1 too. -rgs

3. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Asha,

Nalla bhojanam, nalla darshan, Stomach was full with yummy dishes and heart and soul was filled with divine power. Nice dear. enjoyed your blog.

4. ashakarthik

ashakarthik Silver IL'ite

thank you rgsrinivasan and sreemanavaneeth:)

5. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Hai Asha,

A well planned write up of the trip... will sure to go all mentioned bhavans if i were to visit India again... Happy to hear about your good darshans..

Shanti

6. RagaPrasanna

RagaPrasanna Platinum IL'ite

Asha..

We went to Rajagopala swamy kovil in manargudi right after our marriage.. Isnt it a great feeling to have santhana gopal right in our hands? My eyes were filled with tears.. :) Hope he brings us good luck!

Good write up..