1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chennai Diaries

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 5, 2023.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@Viswamitra I enjoyed reading your updates
    Just curious do you have plans to move back to India at some point in time ?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@mangaii,

Man proposes God disposes. Our goal always has been to migrate back to India in the next 3-5 years. We feel healthcare is more attractive in India. Even though cost of living is catching up, we can still lead a comfortable life with social security in India. But we are going with a flow and one small step at a time.

sweetsmiley, Thyagarajan and mangaii like this.
  3. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Sir,

Congratulations on completing your new house. Best wishes on the house warming.

It was interesting to read your diaries. I have traveled by Air France to USA and did not have any issues. In one of the trips I went by Lufthansa and in Frankfurt, the wheelchair service was pathetic. I felt really sorry for the people who could not walk and had opted for this service.
    You mentioned your wife is from Adarsh Vidyalaya. I too studied there. Curious to know her name and the year she completed. I finished my 10th in 1979.
    Good to know things are going well after a little starting trouble.
    Waiting to hear more.

Regards
    Uma

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Thank you @UMAKUMAR for your kind wishes. It looks like all Airlines goof up the wheel chair requests. It looks like the airport infrastructure in Europe runs short of workers. It was fortunate we finally got wheel chair and my MIL was airlifted to board the plane. The last thing we wanted to do was to stay in Paris overnight.

My wife completed her school in 1976-77 and her name is Shobana.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Viswamitra

It is heartening to note your Tasks oriented visit to India is by and by turning successful and am glad that an internationally renowned vedic scholar would be performing the pooja for front-door fixing of the mansion under completion.
    EPO in chennai has been consistently rendering courteous service to its members and numerous cases i heard settled in record time.
    It was predicted heavy rains in the city and interior parts of TN but there was not any rains in the city.
    Wishing you godspeed in rest of the endeavour and best wishes for house warming celebrations.
    Regards.

vidukarth likes this.
  6. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Congrats Viswa, for your new house and wish you wonderful times ahead!
    Happy to read your dairy entries, and can only empathize with you for the hardship! -rgs

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Every trip to India is always filled with several tasks. We barely take a break while in India. We are always on the move. Despite coming back to the mother country, we feel we are on the road and feel comfortable only when we are back in the US. It could be the travel that is stressful. Even the mind switches it’s loyalty to a place where we live. There were days when I travelled to other cities in India, I used to feel happy to be back in Chennai. I heard that there was rain prediction. I am glad it didn’t rain. The Vedic Scholar is coming for house-warming Puja actually which is scheduled on June 2nd. Yes. I was very impressed with EPO’s service.

Thank you for your kind wishes.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Thank you RGS for your kind wishes. I purposefully built the house closer to the beach so that my son can plan his vacation to India in future.

Hopefully, the return journey will be pleasant.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

After accumulating all the documents needed for transferring my FIL’s property into my MIL’s and my wife’s name in corporation records, I visited the de-centralized corporation office. Only a lady was present and she gave a phone number and asked me to call. This office is located opposite to local MLA’s office. After I called, he arrived and soon after that he reviewed the documents. He said up front there was a fee of Rs 3,500 to do it and it will be issued in a week. Knowing that corporation will accept only check, I asked him whether the fees are payable to the corporation. He clarified that the fee is for him to get the job done. What a sophisticated name for a bribe? He looked at the legal heir certificate and asked why my FIL’s mother’s name was included as a legal heir. He felt it would result in more queries and legal heir certificate for my FIL’s mother. I explained to him that when Tashildar issued legal heir certificate, he said even if the property was acquired by my FIL out of his own income, the legal heirs will be his mother, wife and daughter. Then he said please get a death certificate for my FIL’s mother as she died before my FIL. He also asked for Encumbrance Certificate but said he can get it himself. When I came home, I read the legal heir certificate carefully, it was divided into two rows one for legal heirs and another for pre deceased legal heir meaning that the certificate confirmed that my FIL’s mother died before him. I called and told that to the corporation staff and he said then it is okay. Let me see whether I can get the transfer completed next week.

Later that afternoon, my wife had an appointment with Ayurvedic doctor and she was gone for 2 hours. I had my physical therapy session from 3 pm to 4 pm and later went to the bank to update my passbook. From there I went to the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India office in Nungambakkam to pay my membership fee but I was told that I can pay it only online. I returned home and was ready to watch CSK game tonight.

My driver managed to rent a laptop for my use during my stay here and I took care of the rent. This is a better option instead of carrying laptop from the US. I will have to erase all my search before returning the laptop.

swarnamary and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Speed money is required in these circumstances especially when they find you are time bound or one in dire straits.
    It reminds me a dialogue in the drama of Cho MOHAMMED BIN THUGLAK” when he says he would legalise and bring out a list for the amount if bribe need to be paid at various levels.

Am too watching it now. I mean t20 ipl csk vs Dc
    upload_2023-5-10_20-36-29.png

Viswamitra likes this.