1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chennai Diaries

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 5, 2023.

1. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

yes sir GLOBE GRAPES big round once first time seeing them that’s why still remember even after all these years, but the fruit is good and fresh and sweet

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Yes Sir. His real name was Balachandar. He changed his name to avoid confusion. Thank you for your kind wishes and I am glad I am in Chennai. I used to live in Adyar during my CA apprenticeship and for another 7 years after that. It is such a pleasure meeting my friend of 44 years who lives in Chennai.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I just came across this message about manobala: it might interest you and IL folks:
    In 1976, a Young man was serving food at the shooting spot of 16 Vayathinile. Kamal Hassan was a fast eater, a very fast eater. He finished his food very fast and would find nobody else had finished and so he began to befriend this man who was his age

He found out to his surprise that the man wasn't working as an assistant for Bharathiraja nor was he working for the Producer. He was here , had come because there was a shooting and had decided to stay there and join the shooting even unpaid

He was pursuing his Teachers Training Program but abandoned it due to his passion for Cinema This was the origin of MANOBALA

He was called Balachander and changed his name to avoid confusion with the legendary K Balachander Kamal introduced Manobala to Bharathiraja who told him to join him as an Assistant only after finishing his Teachers training

Bharathiraja was not serious. He thought Manobala would get on with his life.
    Instead Manobala joined him after waiting at his office for 4 days after finishing his Teachers Training

Manobala, Manivannan were Bharathirajas Assistants

They joined him just as Bhakyaraj was leaving to make his own career Manivannan handled Story

Manobala handled Dialogues They became the GREATEST FRIENDS

Unlike the Impassioned Manivannan who discussed Politics and Communism every 24 hours , Manobala was one of the least political people and quickly made friends especially with Kamal Hassan and Rajinikanth
    He also began acting in small roles in films directed by Manivannan and also worked as Manivannans Assistant , now handling Stories

He also gave Tuitions in Mathematics and History and Tamil , once famously writing an Essay that won him an award with Dinamalar and a picture with then CM MGR in 1985

He also taught a young boy Maths for 2 years for Class VII and VIII at the request of his father. That Young boy is called THALAPATHY today
    Yet Cinema was his greatest passion and he wanted more than anything to act in movies

In 1981, Manivannan finally had a story for Manobala
    Financier Nachiyappan coughed up ₹10 Lakhs

The movie starred Karthik and flopped badly After 3 years, he got another chance and directed Pillai Nila and this movie became a Hit and Manobala was finally starting his trip

This began a Golden run where Manobala directed hits between 1986 and 1990 without a single flop Ironically Oorkavalan starring Rajini turned out to be his least profitable venture (<20%)

Post 1990, all his films flopped and he was phased out as a Director
    Around the same time his best friend Manivannan also decided to quit directing after leaving on a high with Amaidhi Padai and advised Manobala to go back to acting
    He found work in small roles , mainly as a Comedian with bigger comedians

Vivek and Vadivelu worked with him and included him in their Skits
    His TTR role in Anniyan began his popularity even as a small comedian with other bigger ones

He ended up in over 160 films from 2000 to 2023 before his death
    He worked with Santhanam and even Yogi Babu as the straight man

He was a CHAIN SMOKER
    He himself admitted to smoking 5 Packs a day on an Average between 1981 to 1996

He also drank quite heavily alongside Buddy Manivannan whenever they shot movies He quit smoking in the 2000s but drank a lot even until 2015 when he was booked for a Drunk and Drive that he paid a huge fine for

This ruined his liver
    It was this that caused his death , a disease called Liver Cirrhosis

His Last Rememberance was heavily attended
    Ironically another buddy — MAYILSWAMY passed away a few months ago

His old student Vijay came without fail to say goodbye despite his busy scheduleEarlier Kamal had offered to fly Manobala to US for a Transplant but the Doctor said “Too Late"

Manobalas last act was to shoot a video for his YouTube Channel and meet someone to get a cheque as advance for a role for a new movie

And we must not forget CHIRANJEEVI

I don't know how well he knew Manobala but the Actor got VIP treatment in Apollo & his final bill was WAIVED OFF
    Chiranjeevi likely footed the bill
    He chose to go home and spend the time with his family where he died
    Rest in Peace Manobala.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Thyagarajan Sir, Generally life stories of film personalities are partially fiction mixed with truth. He was a chain smoker even before he came to film industry but drinking habit started only after he started making money. He used to be talented in hand drawing and studied in Arts and Crafts School in Egmore. He also pursued an opening in film industry. In my view Charuhasan and his wife were big guidance and support for many who were in the age group of Kamal while their daughter decided to study cinematography. That is how Kamal introduced him to Bharathiraja. Pillai Nila was his first success that brought many opportunities to him. Actress Radhika was also a great support to him. He burned bridges with Kamal for some strange reason and he was not talking to him for many years. Manobala himself admitted it in one of his interviews. But he also built good relationships. Mani Annan was a big help for him when he became successful. I don’t know about his relationship with Vijay. He aligned with Vishal group in Nadigar Sangam resulting in some issues with Radhika and Radha Ravi. He joined AIADMK under the leadership of Jayalalithaa but didn’t have a big run in politics.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

May his soul rest in peace.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Day-4 - Chennai Diaries

The caterer called to postpone the meeting to tomorrow. We are now meeting him only at 9 am today. Hopefully with the advance payment, we can secure his contract today. I am worried as it is a season for wedding. Already, I have a set back in tiles supply as the supplier already damaged all his tiles due to unprecedented rain in Chennai. I wonder why he stored it outside in open to sky area. He lost a lot of money. Now there is a 30 day delay and the tile laying has to happen only after the house-warming.

The appointment with the tax advisor was at 5:30 pm and he met me at 7:15 pm. The appeal for tax refund is pending with Appellate Tribunal and the hearing is likely to be in July 2023. Now that I had completed construction without the tax refund, I told the tax advisor that I am no longer under pressure to get the refund. However, he explained, as per law, I should get the refund. I came to know that GOI is constantly under financial stress and their primary objective is to drive revenues and delay tax refunds. Irrespective of the popularity of BJP government, there are some hidden policies that are unknown to public affecting legitimate claim of refunds. Many suggested to write to PM and FM for quick action but most advisors said it will be sent back for action to Incomes tax department.

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

If it is sent to the department from above, then the chances of something being done faster are higher.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Frankly, contactless assessment is more problem than resolution. Now the department is asking us to upload everything online and they pretend they have not reviewed it. The refund is centralized in Bangalore and the ITO has to process the payment. They keep blaming each other. Even the refund as per their assessment is pending for six months. I have lost complete faith in the revenue department and their knowledge about income tax act. I can only pray for the righteousness to prevail. Justice delayed is justice denied should first be applied in enforcing the laws of the land.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Making use of online portal of PMO WOULD result in salutary effect.
    Pl Check website:
    Any grievances can be sent to Hon'ble Prime Minister / PMO using the interactive page link "Write to the Prime Minister" available on the PMO's website: Prime Minister of India → Interact with Hon'ble Prime Minister(from drop How can I file my Grievance down menu) →Write to the Prime Minister.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    satchitananda likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

Everyone who tried it in the past informed me that there is nothing much happens unless it is an emergency. It is understandable because the PM’s office will be busy with a lot of development projects.

Thyagarajan likes this.