1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chennai Diaries

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 5, 2023.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

May 26th - A bit disappointed that GT Vs MI game is delayed due to rain. But weather predictions are positive.

Today I went to e-Seva Mayyam to get an encumbrance certificate for my in-laws property. They said their printer is down but managed to send the certificate via email. Just Rs 50/- paid as service fee. I took it to copying place across and took 3 print outs. Handed over one to the corporation office as that was the only query from them. The corporation office promised to give the name change latest by Monday. I went to HDFC to draw some cash to pay for the trip as well as the pillars we ordered last week.

Tomorrow morning I have a meeting scheduled with the builder to work out the finishing of the house. The front gate is being fabricated as we speak. 2 airconditioners are being fixed. The light fittings are purchased and fitted in a day or two along with all plumbing fixtures. They do it in the last minute avoid laborers using it.

Major work pending now is Athangudi tiles and it is unfortunate that the delivery is delayed. The tax advisor called to let me know that Rs 14 lakhs due as per the assessment order made by the ITO is pending for Assistant Commissioner’s approval. Now they got clearance from the central government to process all refunds due. Hopefully, I will get partial refund soon.

7 days count down begins towards Grahapravesam today. Good news is GT Vs MI will start at 8 pm. Let the better team win.

mangaii and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Viswamitra

What a class batsman Shubman Gill is! India is blessed for many more years to come! He is in such a form and unless someone in MI finds a way to get him out, he is going for a big score perhaps the largest individual score in IPL.

mangaii likes this.
  3. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

@Viswamitra sir I have been following your diary and it feels like I am a part of your experience :). Pray share the vettrilai sadam recipe here. Its the first time I am hearing of it. Hope you have a pleasant rest of your trip!

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

5. Viswamitra

May 27th - I left sharp at 9:30 am to reach the site at 10:30 am for the site meeting. The project manager and I had a walk-through and all the bed rooms are in good shape. Light fixtures arrived tonight and they will all be fitted tomorrow. They have finished the front wall and the gates are being fixed tomorrow. We walked around the house to see the elevation and pipe fixtures. Everything is falling in place quickly. It is unfortunate we didn’t get the Athangudi tiles on time. Otherwise, the house would have finished completely. Now, the tile fixing will happen in June along with final quote of painting.

We reviewed the arrangement for Grahapravesam. The elevator is being tested until May 30th by using a generator as our power line has not switched from commercial to residential.

After the meeting, I left to pay a token advance for the accommodation at Coconut Grove for 6 rooms, 2 for our family and 4 for the Vedic Scholar d as nd the group. It is just 3 minutes away from our site. They have confirmed the rooms. After that I left to the antic-shop to pay the balance for the pillars. On the way, I visited Cane-O-Cane to decide on the swing and they gave an estimate. I need to pay advance in a day or two and they agreed to deliver it on 10th June.

I returned home and had lunch. After that I went to Chaya to collect the gift items ordered from them.

6. Viswamitra

May 28th - Today was reserved as resting day with no activities planned. This morning I went to a pet shop in Kottirpuram to buy some outfits for Orion and a branded shirt for my son on behalf of Grahapravesam. I spoke to the caterer and he said he is all set with whatever arrangements he had to make. The Chamiana guy is coming to erect it in the car park area on 1st June. The ground floor is mostly reserved for guests and many chairs are organized for them to be seated. Puja will be done in the middle of the house between 4 pillars that has a high rise up to the terrace with skylight coming through the middle of the house. The breakfast and lunch will be served in the car park area so that it is easier for guests and the caterer.

My wife is unwell since we returned after a quick trip. She is already taking medicines and on the road to recovery. Her cousin and her husband are visiting us for lunch. At 5 pm, I am m visiting the tax advisor’s residence to invite him for the Grahapravesam. Later in the evening is reserved for IPL final.

Mistt and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I Hope Shobana aunty is feeling better. How is Orion, Sir? I’m just imagining him in his new outfits:grinning: :hearteyes: and also your description is giving me an idea about your new home.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

@Mistt,

Shoba feels a lot better tonight. Orion is having fun with his dad back in Florida. We bought his outfit to keep it in the Puja and take it back home. After the Puja is done, I will post a photo of our new house here. I hope that is allowed.

Mistt and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Viswamitra

How long is the wait for watching IPL final? The rain is predicted to stop by 10:30 pm and I hope the play will start at 11 pm. They said 9:35 is the cut off time for 20 overs a side. I guess it would be 5 overs each side of the game starts before 12:05 am.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

May 29th - Just 4 days to go before the Grahapravesam. Anxiety gripped me strongly as my mind-diverting IPL didn’t happen due to rain. I used that time to prepare the invited guest list, the actions to be done between now and Grahapravesam, things to be taken to the new house. I called the caterer first thing in the morning to check on the arrangements. He is a young nice guy (third generation caterer in the family) and gave me a lot of comfort. He told me that he can handle most for the needs for the function including flower garlands to decorate, mango leaves tying, banana tree tying at the entrance, cow, etc. He also said breakfast can be served until 10 am and he can switch to lunch by 11 am. He is all set. The builder is organizing 100 bricks and sand needed for the homam. I called the Vedic scholar and told him where they will be staying and confirmed our family will also be staying at the same place as this place is close by to our new house.

Today is the first day I left the builder alone to do finishing work. I am planning to visit the site later tomorrow and Wednesday evening to drop things needed for Puja. I told them to fix lock for the bedrooms. They are testing the motor pump and moving water to overhead tank. Generator is used everyday to test the lift and it will be done by 31st May.

Today I went to Srividya to buy Turmeric, Kumkum, Vibhuti, Sandlewood powder, Camphor, Lamp Wick, and Giri Traders to buy Puja Bell, and Big plate. I have borrowed Silver plate and Vessel from Shoba’s uncle and Panchatram and Uthirini from her cousin. Rice 25 kgs, Raw Mangoes, 5 types of fruits, Coconut 25, 4 Pumpkins, and 25 Banana leaves to be bought on 31st or 1st. The Vedic Scholar will bring most items from Srirangapattinam.

Shoba feels a lot better today. Most guests will arrive only by 8 am or 9 am except close family members. I need to make reminder calls today and tomorrow.

swarnamary, Mistt and Thyagarajan like this.