1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Check on my worthiness for married relationship

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by VRB, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VRB

VRB Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I have to really appreciate those who founded this forum and those who all offered their unconditional help and advice to the peoples with various kinds of problems. I am a silent reader of this forum for more than 2 years now. I enjoyed, learnt, laughed and saddened at many occasions while going thru the problems and advice in this forum.

I am 29 years old single male, working in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> for the past 5 years. Yes, my parents are searching a better half for me and I am expecting to get married within a year or so. I don’t have any problem physically or mentally but I am not sure whether I am a worthy guy to get into a married life.

The reason is I believe that there is a transition in my cultural lifestyle. Un-till I was 26 I don’t have any bad habits, since my father was a school headmaster and rest you guys can imagine what happens if I had any bad habits and found while in home:shaking:. Now, I think apart from gambling I am having most of the bad habits like smoking, drinking(socially) and often dating girls. Since I have n number of friends here, I think slowly I absorbed all those things from them but, I am not here blaming anybody for my habits, which solely is my acquisition. But, I want to clear that I am not addicted to any of the above said bad habits yet. What I mean is I do all those things what a western cultured guy will do generally.

In the other hand I am a god fearer to the core and I know it’s bizarre & one can ask how the hell I can have 2 contradictory personalities. But, it’s true.

I think practically and I am straight forward. So, I had taken a medical test recently, which involves everything in which I came fit and clear. There are no concerns over my fitness, since I am regular to gym and semi-professional cricket player. And I am planning to quit all the bad habits once committed or engaged. One can ask why I can’t quit now instead quitting after engagement – yes I am working on it slowly & steadily.

But, deep in my mind protrudes a major question that, do I am worthy human being to step into a marriage life which involves another person. If in the married life my spouse comes to know my history then what will be the consequences. As, you guys know that no parents will accept to give their daughter if I say the truth and other hand I cannot lie and live with it.

I was learning a great deal about married life, relationships and the problems in the married life from this forum. Going thru this forum is one of my preparations towards my marriage. I can say this is also made me think twice about my worthiness for married relationship.

I would be glad for all the ladies and gents who can advice me to come out of this limbo situation.

Thanks,
    VRB

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hello VRB,
    No wonder, you are enjoying your bachelorhood from head to toe!!!:thumbsup
    You are pretty straight forward and are repenting for your mistakes in life. Though its your own acquisition, its the society influenced on your mindset to have these habits in life.
    Nobody is perfect or right in thie world and true that every girl wants his hubby to be Mr. Right, which is impossible. So, relationship involves both physical and mental stability. Good that, you have already starting quitting these bad habits. Just imagine, what if your wouldbe partner do have this kind of habits??
    If you are open to accept that kind of partner, then its easy and no transition is required.
    But if you dont accept then you would have been a soul like Rama.
    So, start a new life by quitting these habits and promise yourself that never ever go back to your old life out of any influences and should restrict to your life partner.

3. VRB

VRB Senior IL'ite

Thanks Priya_mommy,
    Your point was absolutely spot-on (I never thought in that angle). I will try my best to work on towards your advice.

Thanks a lot,
    VRB

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

But this is common thing in the western world. Irrespective of sex. Men and Women enjoy their social life. Let me tell you this, people smoke, drink, go out and have fun. This is not addiction, its a common thing nowadays. Also to be frank, you got to expect the reality too. Your partner might have these social culture too ;)

5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

VRB

Welcome to IL and Good Luck to you in finding your life partner.

Kudos to you for being so frank and open.

As Priya said, please be the same open minded when you marry a girl. Also if possible I suggest atleast you tell her all this before you commit to some one. so that in future nothing should come to her like a shock and at that time you shouldnt be in a place to explain your innocence.

Also if you think these are bad habits, are you planning to quit? if yes then start immediately. dont think after marriage you would do it. as after marriage you would feel pressurised to quit these habits, and at times you would feel and blame your wife that because of her you had to quit and the blame game may start where you woudl feel restricted. You know from outside it might look as if we are doing things socially (like drinking /smoking / dating) but over the time they become part of our life (might be you want to have drinks every weekend / weekly twice / smoke every day how many packets you may not keep track etc)where we cant let go of some habits...thats the reason why I am suggesting to start quitting.The moment you are asked to watch out your habits you would know how difficult to let go of them is...

Start living the way you would like to be after your marriage from now on, that way you will be prepared and also will enjoy your married life.

By the way just because you have these habits , doesnt make you any unworthy for a relationship...just that be positive and open minded and accept the other person too as they are , with their drawbacks or short comings...good luck to you

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  6. saddestiny

saddestiny Bronze IL'ite

VRB,
    Its good decision that you are slowly quitting your habits and grooming yourself to be a gentleman which any wife would expect her future husband to be. Also the fact that you yourself recognize gambling, drinking, smoking etc are bad habits and you want to quit, itself is a first step that you have already taken.
    There is nothing wrong in doing all these social activities as a young person. You have to balance it out and that is healthy way of living life. Going over-board and doing all these more than required is when they roll out as a life problem or addiction or bad habit.
    Now should you be a hypocrite and claim yourself to be non-smoker, non-drinker, non-gambler and everything else that you are not ?
    I would say NO. Its better that you openly tell the girl about your personal history, may not be in great detail but atleast in a way that she would not be shocked at any future "surprises".
    Partners feel betrayed and trust lost when "secrets" are kept from them. A good relationship starts with honesty. And that does'nt mean you have to be blatantly honest and tell her you dated 500 girls(just kidding...). But she should atleast know the fact that you were more liberal before marriage and you had all these other habits as well. And that you do want to quit and live an "acceptable" married life. Smoking, drinking, gambling maybe one thing, but dishonesty is a very BIG thing.
    Think about it how you want to approach and put it in a way that you are seen as an honest person and not-so-perfect guy but will try to be in future.
    Nobody becomes unworthy of marriage or a relationship because of their bad habits. Every human being on the planet is worthy in some way or other. Its just how you correct your past mistakes and carve out a healthy future for you and your spouse. Instead of faking to be a "perfectly clean guy with a perfect history" its better to be open about your imperfections and be an honest person- both to yourself and to the future spouse. Trust me, even if she found out anything after marriage, she would rather face it than finding out that she married a dishonest guy !

Hope that helps.

7. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I beleive the biggest killer is smoking and which irritate the partner.So better to start quitting that.Sociel drinking,I don't think that will hurt anyone and which is very common and I don't beleive any one will have big objections on it.Dating anyhow will get over after the marraige,only be careful not in touch with any of those.

8. Jambu

Jambu Senior IL'ite

VRB

I am new here and I am glad to answer on my first post to a male’s question.

In general vast majority of what a person does is driven by instincts and habits. They are sort of the behaviours that are automatic and they come almost effortless. Unfortunately we fall into some of the habits which are harmful to us as well as to the society. If you let them occupy you, they gradually take control of you and put you in a miserable position.

It is good you have come to realise these facts and you want to get away from them. You are half way through the process. Now the next step is to tackle them one at a time. It is acceptable fact that it is hard to replace the bad habits with good habits but at the same time it is NOT impossible to get rid of them either.

One thing you have to remember is that those habits are harmful to your healthy lifestyle in the future and they are costly as well taking out considerable amount of money from your wallet. Marriage is about TWO together and don’t let these to break the concept.

Structure up a plan to eliminate those evils and be STRICK to the plan to the rest of your life

JS

9. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

VRB, what is your worth? You know it!

Don't let anyone else tell you what you are worth or how suitable you are. Genuine people will try to build you up, nasty people will try to pull you down. Don't open yourself up to that by letting other people decide whether you are 'good' or 'bad.'

Look inside yourself and you will know the answer. If in doubt, ask God his opinion, he will let you know. :thumbsup If you feel God is not in the talking mood, ask your parents, they will know too. :) Ask both to find a girl on your wave length, who has an open outlook like yours.

Smoking, drinking, dating... so what. Dating is fine, it gives you an idea what traits and personality type you like in a partner. Drinking... almost everyone does it. As long as you are not out of control and just enjoying a few drinks with some few friends, by all means, what is the problem? As for smoking, it's a matter of personal prefference. Some girls like myself will not like it, others wont mind it. And those of us who do mind it, might still marry a guy who does it! :bonk

Just whatever you do, don't be a hypocrite. Definitely THAT is a bad thing. What I mean is, if you have enjoyed a 'western' style life, don't expect your wife to have just dropped from heaven. Like other ladies mentioned, just be honest and accurately represent yourself. There are lots of ladies out there who are more interested in the content of your character, then the details of your 'western' vices.

10. VRB

VRB Senior IL'ite

Many thanks for the advices.

Some of them were needle sharp and straight with their facts and advices. Yes, I can understand and agree with all of them said in here. I am aware of what to expect from my would-be.---:iagree

My parents referred me an alliance match and I spoken recently with that girl and told gradually about my habits about smoking and social drinking. The reply surprised me as asuitablegirl mentioned.

It’s been a week now challenging with my self control :bangon quitting smoking and till now I am doing well. Let’s see what happens next.

Once again thanks everybody chipping in to help me, appreciated.

Cheers,
    V

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.