Chatter & Banter - Politics In India

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Viswamitra, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Which is what Im calling a perception.

Maybe. This was the basis by which Kerala HC passed its law in 1991. This was also the basis by which the argument wasn’t made in the SC. The basis of the SC argument was that the deity has a right to have women not go to see him because he’s a nitya brahmachari.

Which is what I said is a perception. People don’t strictly follow it anymore. I personally know men who don’t follow the vritham but go anyway.

Women in my extend families are all ok with the ruling. I don’t know about others.
    Women who don’t want to go, can stay home. They aren’t being forced to go.

The fact that women who don’t want to go are calling the women who want to go as non devotees and going there just for a picnic are all taking it too far. How do they know that women who go aren’t true devotees? Also the fact that women are stating that a Muslim cannot make a case against the practice is jarring. When did the lord or his abode become a property of the Hindus alone? That itself says these women don’t know the lord of the hill.

2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Normal darshan okay, but is it allowed to take the 18-steps way without 'Erumudi' and 41-day vrithim? :thinking:

Agree with you on this ^.

I think it involves much bigger, deeper multi-religion politics here and what we know is probably only a bird's eye pov. :icon_pc:

3. Laks09

Yes. Over the years the strictness of mandalam is reduced. All those food restrictions/ tv restrictions/bed restrictions/shoes restrictions are all gone.

It’s most likely a political ploy to finally change a left/centrist Kerala to a right wing state. If you’ve noticed, all these various keepers of the almighty are really using the Hindu/Muslim divide to ebb the Hindus on. Even my very left leaning uncle is going on and on and on on FB about how his rights are “GONE”.
    Reminds me a lot of the blind American folks who seem to think an extreme right govt is protecting their “culture and rights”.

4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

My grandfather is a guruswami and, all who is with him strictly adhere so I assumed it's the same scenario throughout but for some defaulters here and there. If that is becoming the norm instead in the name of adjustments and conveniences then what is sacred about the 18 steps, the erumudi, the vrithum, and everything anymore? #MootPoint.
    Do not know about the KL state politics in depth. I do have my doubts if this judgment was entirely made in the context of equality and empowerment of women or for hidden political agendas favoring the forces behind that which is invisible to the common people - who btw will eventually get there to accept after the initial resistances and get used to the judgment when it comes into practice over time naturally. Amen.
    They have moved on now. The media and social so-called activists are already on to the next viral issue - the #MeToo movement in India. That's how much all the argumentative Indians care, a mere 15 minutes of fame (whenever).
    No comments. Sigh.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  5. Laks09

When my uncle took us, we went to school without shoes. I still remember the stones pricking my feet. We washed our hair in the cold nov/dec mornings for 41 days. We could not eat anything anyone gave. No thayir/dosa/idly/tv/books of entertainment/playing outside etc. No coffee. Sleeping on the floor on a mat. No hugging even Amma.
    Now a days, people wear sneakers apparently to climb up.
    At pampa - one sprinkle of water on the head.
    Oh and people take packaged food of all sorts with them. Each time DH comes back I hear a new story.

The judgement was based on the HC ruling I thought. Not based on the rules of the devaswom. Basically the Sc overturned the HC rule.
    I think the communist Kerala govt did a good job during the floods and the bjp used this judgement to stir some trouble in the state aiming election 2019.
    Moving on is good. The issue isn’t as big as the politicians make it out to be.

I didn’t pay attention to India news last two days. SCOTUS Justice kept me busy :(

kaniths likes this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Wh..?! :flushed::openmouth::neutral::mask:

Oh. Makes sense.

Lol, true.

No problem, that's why this thread is there to catch up on. :beer-toast1:

And... thank you.

Laks09 likes this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I was wondering...
    Logically the judgment falls as "unconstitutional" isn't?

And, Ayyappa Devotees Association files a first review petition against Sabarimala verdict.

The review petition is being filed midst protest in the state against the landmark judgment. In the past two days, the state witnessed protest marches across various districts such as Kottayam, Ernakulam, Alappuzha, Kannur, Thiruvananthapuram, and Thrissur.

IMG_20181008_160700.jpg

That looks huge! :screamcat: I'm remembering the TN Jallikattu protests where the law had to be revoked to allow the sport. Now that a review petition is submitted, the court will have to give stay order? Expected.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good to see MJ Akbar resign.

Was surreal to go read up about him. Hadn't heard of him for many many years. Last I remembered him was as editor of Sunday magazine with its anti-Emergency views. Turns out he joined Congress(I) and then BJP! Indeed, as the quote goes, politics makes strange bedfellows.

9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I scout the following news sources for quick highlights, sometimes their op-eds. Check them out if you are interested.

ThePrint | Scroll | Swarajya | OpIndia

Gauri03 likes this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks. I like Scroll though their reporting tends to lean left. Will check out the others.