Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

After some reading I did over the weekend, I realized I was wrong on some points in my previous post. Having to quote those parts is part of the penance. : )

- The ringtone on a person’s phone has nothing to do with how they perform their job.

- The judge ruled that the prosecution cannot call the dead and injured as “victims” because the trial itself is about were they victims or not. He said that the defense can call the dead and injured as “arsonists” or “looters” if they can back that up with evidence. This judge has made similar rulings in other cases.

- I can’t believe I wrote that the judge looks racist. What does “look” racist even mean? Turns out he is just a judge known for his no-nonsense style, was first appointed by a Democratic Governor and ran for the Wisconsin Senate as a Democrat.

- Questionable decisions by judges during a trial are common. In this case, they were about evenly distributed in favor of the defense and the prosecution.

Laks09 likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A few other things I learned, most from this video:

- Rittenhouse did not travel across state lines armed with an AR-15. .

- The “crossed state lines” was a litany repeated so often in the media that we simply started to repeat it.

- He lived in Antioch, IL with his mother and sisters. He worked in Kenosha, WI as a lifeguard. His father, extended family and friends lived in Kenosha. The two places are twenty miles apart and happen to be separated by state lines that people commute across daily.

- The video from 4:05 to 12:45 shows what happened before the shootings, during the shootings and after that. Excellent video editing and analysis by YouTuber Matt Orfalea. This part is a must-watch.

- The guy who was injured (Gaige Grosskreutz) has blatantly lied on TV. 26:00-26:35 shows his testimony in court. 26:35 - 28:32 shows how he contradicts himself later. Laughable.

- And what took the cake for me was the purposefully biased coverage by WaPo. Watch 30:31 - 35:00 for this.

Some of Jimmy Dore’s comments and the tone are annoying. However, the hour spent watching the video was worth my time for this lesson: “You can disagree with someone without making them the extreme opposite of everything you value.

It is wrong to say “justice was served.” A more accurate statement would be that the jury applied the laws as they currently exist. Can we expect a single case like this to fix or even start to fix bigger issues like racial injustice, violent protests, white privilege and gun laws? I don’t know.

Gauri03 and Laks09 like this.