Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Skip to 5 min spot on the video on a discussion of UNITY

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Pretty close to the same vocabulary of Trump et. al., used by Myarmar's army generals to sack the elected government, and seize power.
    Myanmar coup: Aung San Suu Kyi detained as military seizes control
    The military says it found millions of irregularities in parliamentary elections lost by the army-back opposition in November. The election commission has rejected the fraud claims.

But the army had threatened to "take action" and now says it will use its emergency powers to organise a new vote.

[​IMG]

3. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

A Portrait of Donald J. Trump, by Vic Berger & VICE News

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was looking for good quality links to learn about both sides of the argument about the executive order Biden issued on his first day of office -- protecting the rights of transgender female athletes to compete against women.

Couple of my friends who have daughters in college, freshman/sophomore currently, are not very happy. These girls chose their colleges based on the sports teams of those colleges. Now, they say they are close to giving up on the sport due to the unfair competition from trans female athletes. They did not get accepted in the sports quota, so they can stop participating.

I searched a bit, am not able to find good articles. Not interested in the Title IX / funding aspect of it. Only in is it unfair to cisgender women. Really unfair or just something that will take some time to get used to.

This was OK to read and I thought Navratilova made some good points:
    Martina Navratilova wants women's sports exemption from Biden's LGBTQ executive order

5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Coming out from under a pile of snow to say hello. I'm never going to complain about summer ever again! Lots of lessons learned and an adventure of sorts. The funniest bit was me taking the water key and running out in the cold without shoes or a jacket. I'm glad I knew where the water main was and how to close it. Came in very very handy!

shravs3, Rihana, Minion and 1 other person like this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Wow, Laks! Glad you’re okay. It must have been quite the wild ride. I hope you’re not seeing those crazy energy bills!

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We didn’t have power at home so looks like we won’t be getting those exorbitant electricity bills. I plan to call them and inform them of my rolling payment plan which will be very much like their rolling blackouts. It rolled away but didn’t roll back here.

9. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Good that you knew how to shut the water main valve, lot of people did not do that and had to deal with pipe freezing and bursting and home getting flooded, hope the Texas politicians learnt their lessons and fix the power issue.

Laks09 likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Why fear when Flying Ted/Cancun Cruz is on the case? :laughing:

shravs3 and Laks09 like this.