Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Melania married a rich, not very good-looking business man almost a quarter century older than her. There is a story floating around and also mentioned n her biography: around the time they got married, she was speaking to a class at New York University. One student asked, "Would you be with Donald Trump if he weren't rich?" She apparently replied back, "If I weren't beautiful, do you think he'd be with me?"

No proof exists such a question was asked and she shot back that pithy response. Nonetheless, it sums up their marriage.

Further, any woman Trump marries, has to sign a prenup that says she will get zero if they separate. She signed it willingly enough.

She is shrewd and calculating, yes. Didn't marry him for love or out of even affection. : ) But she signed up to be the wife of a businessman or self-styled tycoon with questionable character, shady financial dealings etc. To be thrust into the limelight of being the FLOTUS with such a husband... unenviable position. She carried it off with as much dignity and aplomb as any one could.

I am not a big fan of her, but the quiet way in which she went about the four years, did impress me. When the Stormy Daniels thing was in the news, she snubbed him publicly but still maintained some dignity. That was better than some wives who stand next to the errant husband as he apologizes and say "this is between us both and God" or something to that effect.

anyway... enough typed in her defense. : )

ETA: reading Hopi's post after I posted this.

Hopikrishnan likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This.

She did not count on having to live through the humiliation of his *grabbing etc statements/bragging becoming known to all. To be the wife of the laughing stock of the whole world and no where to go hide...

Hopikrishnan likes this.
  3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Made me think back to Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe; but then that was in the age when news/rumors could not travel fast. And often the media was in cahoots with the powerful.

One young'ish first lady married to an old guy (23 years older in this case) was Jaqueline Kennedy's marriage to Ari Onassis. She sought privacy for herself and her children and an extremely wealthy man with a private island far away from the noise of the American media is what she chose. If Melania wished to be far from the madding crowd, what would she do ? Is there some kind of Overseas Citizen of Slovenia visa (see note*) ?

Jackie’s second husband was Aristotle Onassis. He was already 62, 23 years older than his bride. Plus he wasn’t even American—--(Sure enough, they married off the coast of Greece on his private island of Skorpios.)
    <source>
    upload_2020-12-22_11-35-33.png
    Aristotle Onassis was not the great love of Jackie Kennedy’s life, nor was she the great love of his. (Indeed, many would argue that neither particularly loved the other at any point.) Yet somehow their union lasted until his death in 1975. Nonetheless, their nuptials 50 years ago would forever change the way First Families are covered by the media
    When Jackie died, she was brought back to USA and buried next to John Kennedy at The Arlington National Cemetery .... and not on Skorpios in the Onassis mausoleum.

*NOTE: Slovenia is part of the EU, and EU citizens are allowed to be dual citizens of America; no need for a visa of any kind to visit/live/work in either region.
    Why does Ari Onassis look like Zorba, played by Anthony Quinn ?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The op-Ed is proof that the first amendment comes with responsibility. The subsequent comments that Dr Biden only taught remedial English to slow learners isn't very different from the Kamala quote you’ve posted. Slow learners and their teachers aren’t less than the rest. Calling her a fraud and a kiddo reeks of sexism and misplaced masculinity. She also has two master’s degrees. Does that also not pass scrutiny of the man with misplaced opinions?

Why is WSJ so difficult to unsubscribe from? Do they want to make it five levels of questions before you cut off the rep on the phone, even if you don’t want to, to stop your subscription. I’ve been able to unsubscribe to other news papers with the click of a button. What is WSJ afraid of? The quality of their op-Ed’s are such low grade. That Marc Thiessen and his drivel alone is enough for the withdrawal of subscription. Just because oped writers can say anything, it doesn’t mean they have to actually publish it. Majority of the opeds lack any substance. It exists to push controversy without journalistic ethics because those are opinion pieces. How long can one pay for such nonsense in the name of free speech?

MalStrom, Agathinai and Srama like this.
  5. Laks09

I sometimes feel that women in marriages that lack emotional connection somehow handle adversities much better. Their situation probably has made them pragmatic enough to face hiccups. Imagine living with DT through this last month. She’s been dignified through it all. I would have probably gone crazy by now!

6. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

She is as calculating as her husband. That’s the end of bargain.

We always try to compare with normal life people. But it doesn’t work like that. There have been nearly 50% of the votes, which has a significant female voter population who are still liking and supporting Trump. They don’t seem to even care about his tweets or his response.

Melania belongs to that category. She has got a really good bargain and she is not thinking about anything other than herself. If Trump had won she would have been Flotus for another 4 years. Actually if not for this Covid, Trump would have won for sure. That’s what the results had actually shown.

Understanding Melania Trump: 'Everyone knows her – but nobody does'

Hopikrishnan, Laks09 and MalStrom like this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Marc Thiessen writes for WSJ as well? I thought it was enough of a curse to read him in WaPo. The Journal has excellent reporters. One of my friends works there. But the editorial board became very Trumpy after the 2016 election. They continue to blithely publish embarrassments such as Epstein. The actual reporters are very annoyed since most people think the op-eds speak for the entire newspaper.

Agathinai and Laks09 like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

She fits the stereotype of a certain type of East European woman of a certain era. As for dignity, I don’t know how much one can have left after literally leaving nothing to the imagination. She actually said the kids separated from their parents at the border were better off since they now had beds to sleep in. Be Best, indeed.

Agathinai and Laks09 like this.
  9. Laks09

When I unsubscribed, after all that hoopla, I was asked to give a reason. I did mention the quality of the op-eds. This was before the current fiasco. WSJ comes with a high enough price tag to expect better content. My local newspaper does a better job than WSJ with respect to opeds. I haven’t read an item where a grown woman was called a kiddo by an 83 years old man in the very first line of his opinion piece. He crossed the line with his first sentence. It should never have been published.

Agathinai and MalStrom like this.
  10. Laks09

Initially, I was very judgmental about the nude pictures. Later, when I actually thought about it, I wondered if that wasn’t double standards. We do demand respect for women, regardless of what they choose as their profession and then we point fingers at the ones we don’t agree with. It sort of plays into the DT playbook. At least, that’s what I felt.

Agathinai, MalStrom and SunPa like this.