Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

While Steve Mnuchin wanted a $500 billion no-questions-asked slush fund for billionaires and corporations. Trump refused to answer when he was asked whether any of the funds would go to his own family. When asked who would provide oversight for the $500 billion he replied “I am the oversight”.
    Both sides.

2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

3. Hosanna

Hosanna Bronze IL'ite

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Now they are saying temporary visas won't be impacted, only green cards will.

Trump immigration ban halts green cards, not temporary visas
    Trump said that the move would not impact those in the country on a temporary basis and would apply only to those looking for green cards in hopes of staying.
    That would include those seeking employment-based green cards and relatives of green card holders who are not citizens.

I didn't get this. How does pausing green cards processing help the Americans looking for work in the near future? Aren't they equally or more impacted by visa holders?

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It doesn’t make any sense to a thinking person. Many of the green card holders are family reunification cases and will not necessarily enter the job market.
    Trump wants to appease his base by any means possible now that the economy has gone south. They will simply hear the sound bites that he has banned immigration and be happy.
    The business groups fought ferociously to have temporary workers excluded from this ban so it’s not really much of anything.

6. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

7. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

I don’t know how and when this is going to be investigated. Corruption amidst pandemic and I hope someone brings these issues out.

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hopefully this is the election that will make TX state legislature purple. Last time around some of our local candidates lost by 200 ish votes. Hopefully, everyone will vote down the ballot this time around. Even when Beto was so close in 2018, people didn’t vote for down ballot candidates as much as they should have. Real problem here in a Deep Red county where Republicans usually go down the ballot and Dems click on the POTUS and leave.
    36A75CDE-BE4E-4577-8CA8-2834D0C1EDBD.jpeg

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  9. Rihana

Did my civic duty. Held my nose and filled out the ballot. I have never been less inspired to vote. But it is such times when it becomes most important to exercise your right.

Tried to teach that to kid. Casual reminder and nagging did not have much effect. I tried bribing - "I will do the vacuum" - didn't work. I did the vacuum and her ballot remained unfilled. : ) Finally, I gave up and said, "Whatever.... It is people like you who get candidates like Trump elected." That did it! First she thought I was joking.. I said no.. that is the truth. Aiyo.. her face fell. Anyway, the sealed ballot envelop showed up in the outgoing mail area within a few hours! Then the newly empowered voter informs me how I can track my ballot. I who nagged her to vote, and I who used to track Santa for her.

Thyagarajan, Laks09 and Hopikrishnan like this.
  10. Rihana

How can they get away with such behavior that even a high school debate student wouldn't get away with!

Laks09 likes this.