Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

They simply cannot.

We have a case hereabouts. We all already have decided on a guilty verdict. Talk about prejudiced jury pool. I’m sure the republican senators have all already decided on confirmation. They are probably banking on sen Doug Jones to vote with them. The man likely will. The hearing is just a farce, just like the trial I mentioned.

If the senate doesn’t pass the confirmation vote.....
    If Dems gather a senate majority.....
    If they pull off what the Republicans did back when Obama nominated someone for the SC.....
    If Pigs start to fly.....

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Humor me... I know a bit but not too much about the process. The candidate will be selected by Trump, right? So, even with a senate majority, what can the Dems do? Can't keep stalling for 2 years?

Laks09 likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It may be a he-said she-said thing, but there are many other questions about Kavanaugh including his finances. There are other candidates without a whiff of scandal about them. However it is a draw for Dems because Trump still gets to pick.

Laks09 likes this.
  4. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Not a draw. It is a win if Dems manage to block this guy. And this guy alone.
    This guy has clearly signaled that he believes the toad is above the law. When mueller subpoena goes to sc, as it will, bk’s presence will tilt the court in t’ s favor. Those are the real stakes.
    Mueller investigation is going to end up at SC. One way or another. Same as Nixon. Nixon resigned only after SC ruled against him and the tapes.

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Me too.
    Sex and ambition. Tabloid and literature. Stuff of life.
    I am not a great fan of trying to sort things out after 35 years - that's one reason why we have statutes of limitation after all - but these tabloidy stories do point to certain ... err ... ahem ... proclivities. To call out Chua and Spouse by name, given British libel laws, argues that the Grauniad have sources they are confident about.
    Here's a more detailed portrait of the accuser.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  6. Laks09

The republicans held out for a full year when Barack Obama nominated Merrick Garland for the SCOTUS. They had the senate majority and just didn’t vote on justice Garland. I would assume the dems if they get a senate majority will pay back in kind.

The question of the senate majority itself is in doubt because they have a lot of seats going out for reelection this year and some of those states were carried by Trump. I bet they are hoping that the voters will swing because those states have also got hundreds of thousands of folks insured on Obamacare and they want to retain their insurance. Most people are single issue voters. My issue is Obamacare.

The funniest thing is that there are parents I know, who cannot afford therapies, can’t even afford to pay the insurance agent to buy Obamacare, need our help to even make hay happen and still vote for the republican because of abortion. Their own child’s life and future is in the balance and their religion is bigger than that. Kabhi Nahi Suderenge!

MalStrom and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OK so looks like a delay could help Democratic senators up for re-election in red states. With a delay, they don't have to go back and face voters after having voted either way on Kavanaugh.

Laks09 likes this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

This is all a dog and pony show. The vote will go through next week. I hope shrieking about her emails, servers and Benghazi was worth it to those 80,000 upstanding citizens.

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Laks09

Yes. They have all voted for Gorsuch and they will potentially use that and the lack of proper Medicaid coverages in the red states as their strategies.
    I would hope they would vote no and go back and face their voters.

10. Laks09

And for all the Indians who voted for trump to safeguard their bottom lines.

MalStrom likes this.