Chaos in India

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by Tridev, May 16, 2010.

1. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Neha I was thinking about this today morning. People want to come out of India as they are young, want to make money, see world. May be built better homes in India etc. when one lives abroad for few years and achieves some of the financial stability, experience, satisifes with the foreign life or get bored then one starts seeing things which have real values in life. to take care of parents, to raise children in Indian enviornment , to go back to the roots. Because materialistically west can offer almost anything but on the emotional and spiritual side, it lacks a lot. The whole year we see living in US we see all days as same. People get up go to work, weekend, christmas, that is all. I personally cannot relate a lot in US as much in India.

I had dreams to land in US when I did and stayed then now yearning for India... our mind is never satisfied in one place for long time. Too much chaos is a problem and so is too much organised life as person is left with nothing to do on daily basis. In India I feel we can also do more of social work as scope is abundant, however one should have that orientation. I see people in India who lived whole life in family while away their time at home watching TV but not step out for social work even once a month...

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I agree to this Tridev. Especially,a country like US can give so much interms of comfort,money,facilities but little hard to give us emotional support. People are very 'shallow' here. They will just say hi-hello,courtesy and then go and get busy with their own lives. However, all this can be handled if we are happy with family/spouse/close friends here. Otherwise, life is very hard here. Personally,I can relate better in US:). I was seen as a rebel in India because I did not follow the 'norms'. For example, I am a person who does not have much interest in celebrating festivals. There I was 'forced' to be part of social gatherings. I love that freedom here. Another example, I respect privacy a lot. I don't ask people personal questions and expect they should not ask me too. However, What I observed was I was not asking anyone details on their personal life but they were asking me(directly or indirectly). I hated this and here the culture 'fits' well into my personality. These are just some examples that are relevant to my life and my preferences. Different things work for different people. To each his own.

3. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

True, I too am not the one who likes the festival a lot. Though I miss Diwali in India. Those glittering shops. Fireworks, the spirit everywhere.....

On privacy yes US offers lot of privacy. But I feel once a while we would want someone to come at our place without informing. the bell should ring at home. Paper wala, Kamwali bai, laundry fellow to iron, someone to wash the car. etc etc. Life can be lively in India but it again depends on life style. I agree it depends on person to person. when I was in India I used to complain about Indian problems now I am complaining about US problems and boring life. I feel I dont fit in anywhere. I feel ambition is very imp. if we are ambitious then whether US or India life will be good.

4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Tridev,
    Dont overanalyze man, it will only confuse you :)

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Perfect reply:thumbsup..I think we should go by what are preferences and priorities are for the next few years rather than anything else.
    Good Luck tridev. Waiting for your further posts:)

6. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Tridev, I looked at this thread as it appeared in the latest posts and you had started it and this is my first time in this forum.

US or Europe no matter where we are, after few years of earning getting back to India for a lively life is the best I feel.

I miss my parents, friends and relatives, the festivals, I miss the weddings and functions, I miss road side snacks, I miss taking my bike and rushing to any place in minute without much preparation, Desi Movies. so many things.

No matter what ever luxury we have here in Europe my heart always wanders around India irrespective of the pollution there, traffic, powercut. Just waiting for my DH to decide to return- dont know how many years more though...

In the last 1 month I have stepped out of my apartment only twice to the near by supermarket. I cant imagine being like this even one day in my life in India.

7. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Hey Maggi, welcome to the forum. yeah I can understand where you coming from. So is this your first time to europe or west? Because if its first time first few months will be very tough . "You will not know how to go about where. No much friends, weather might not be good esp in winters, so all this adds up to frustration. Also depending on where in europe you are language may be another issue if English is not a common language...

I think you said something which I heard from a senior who visited US from India, he said after his analysis he too had concluded this part that after earning for few years and satifying foreign land craving, one should return back to India, that way life is balanced. I also agree that India is move lively and vibrant . We hardly sit in apartment whole day alone there...One of the persons I know migrated to Pune after 33 years he said he now feels he was in some self imposed exile all these years. He is now so happy there and well adjusted in 4 months. No doubt how many years we are away from India since our roots are there, adjusting back is not as difficult as it is when we visit a foreign shore...

But I have also seen some people who are new to europe or US initially dont like , as I have a female friend when she came to US she was cribbing but after a year she did not want to go back to India.

Nice to know that you are wanting to go back and waiting for that day.... It gives inspiration to see people talk and feel that...

Last edited: May 26, 2010