1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Situations, Ignorance And Frustrations

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by arpha, Jan 5, 2017.

1. arpha

arpha New IL'ite

Hi,
    This is a long post. Kindly bear with me.
    This is my first thread on IL. A brief background about me. Married for more than 5 years on ttc and as usual indifferent and nasty inlaws. All these years had been a roller coaster for me. Everybody at home were influencing my H on all matters. Be it our married life, making property or whatever. My husband too remained like a loyal child caring only and only for them. I have somehow learnt to move on with my profession and other passions of mine. After a real long time I think God has come in the guise of a close friend of H and had put some sense in his mind. This is my guess or may be certain situations happened at the back end made him to realize. Thankfully my H cares for me now. The moment MIL saw this change in him she has cut off the minimum support which she providing us in the name of cooking. To the extent that now she doesn't even care for her son. Now we both support each other in completing our chores of cooking before going for work. He covers up his mothers act by saying that she is becoming weak day by day. Anyways I have nothing to say on this. Since the necessity is ours we have somehow learnt to manage this. This is with my MIL.
    I have a BIL who is more influential than anyone else in the family on my H. He played his part in creating differences between me and my H. I have seen the messages exchanged between them and how he was talking about me. Ofcourse it was all because of my H as he had given so much of liberty to him. I was a silent spectator of all these and waited patiently for the good time to come.
    Now the current situation is that BIL marriage is fixed by the girl who he chose (Not his parents) and now he wants to set a good stage for himself and his would be wife and is trying to be extra nice to me. He calls me and suggests me not to take more stress, tells me to ignore his mom's acts (really???) and asks me to be happy. All of a sudden he remembered what a good SIL I am. He sends messages on Whatsapp and all. I know this is all momentary and purely for the sake of his benefit as I have seen this avatar of his sometime back when he needed something. I chose to remain what I am.
    Current Situation: Not even a word to me from MIL regarding BIL's marriage. She did not even tell me when they were coming to our house, or when the dates were finalised, anything for that matter. My H updates me everything. I know this is better for me one way but some where I feel that she has considered me as a non existent element. FYI we both are not in talking terms in since long time because of the issues we had earlier. But still I feel this is something which needs to be told.
    Please let me know how to maintain my peace and balance at this point of time. I do not want to be a part of all marriage related activities because of the way I am being treated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Swetha2017

Swetha2017 New IL'ite

Sorry to hear what you are going through. Confrontation with such inlaws are always dicey as they will make you feel guilty (despite you being wronged). Practically, is it possible to opt for a city change?

3. Swetha2017

Swetha2017 New IL'ite

Other option is giving the cold treatment. It is hard and you need to be really strong to opt for this. Make it very clear with H that you are not interested in any topic of conversation regarding this parents. When it comes to the wedding, tell him truthfully that you are not interested as either ways you are kept in blind.

Book a nice spa/beauty treatment on the wedding day..and make a late entry ..ps--Just keep this plan to yourself

M

sindmani likes this.
  4. arpha

arpha New IL'ite

Thanks Swetha...
    Yes I do want to tell him that I dont want to participate at all. But the problem is the moment I tell this I know that he is going to raise this flag infront of his parents and from next step they will start calling me. I dont want this to happen as my health will not permit me to roam around along with them. I just want to be myself. More than MIL's acts, its because of what my BIL did to me in the past I want to stay away.

sindmani and Swetha2017 like this.
  5. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

OP,

I would say, Be the better person, BUT, do NOT let it affect your health and sanity. If they ask you to do something, say, let me check my schedule. Think through it and see how much extra burden it will cause you. If it is not too much, do it; otherwise, politely refuse. Do it as your duty and nothing else. Weddings are important events when your behaviour will be noticed and remembered. You and H are on a good terms right now and it has taken years to get here. If they use this incident and poison your H's ears, all effort will go waste.

P.S. Perhaps, you will feel better if I told you, you are not alone in being treated as non-existent. There are a lot women on IL who face the same thing, including your's truly.

sbonigala, Swetha2017 and guesshoo like this.
  6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Focus on the important bit - you have established a harmonious relationship with your husband. Do nothing that will jeopardise it.

While it must be annoying, do everything you can to stay on your high horse. I'm not saying you have to extend yourself for the wedding but skipping it or having a tantrum during that time will not help your cause.

Do the bare minimum - excuse yourself from shopping for relatives etc. Remain civil but distant. Your husband and BIL / mil can do the leg work and running around. Ensure you pick and choose activities you take part in. Just go about your business without comment. During wedding dress up well, have a nice time with other relatives and take minimal responsibility.

Unless you are directly and politely requested to participate, do your own thing; when asked to do something, evaluate whether you could score brownie points!

As for BIl he sounds like a vicious opportunist. Keep your distance from him and his bride but be cordial so as to not debase yourself... just watch the drama.

sindmani, SunPa, Meet9 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Swetha2017

Swetha2017 New IL'ite

Have you both tried counselling? This ongoing drama with extended family is eternal.but for you to get your peace, you could try getting professional help ( discreetly). In today's age of stress, we have to be smart about our choices instead of accepting what others throw at us.

Look, no matter what..be brave. Loads of us not only struggle but also survive such family dramas. How we survive is based on our own choices. In my own case ( no BIL) , inlaws tend to be over 'protective ' of their man-child. It gets annoying and frustrating even after a decade of kalyanam. Initially, I used to accept as my upbringing prevented me from speaking against elders. Invariably, H wld inform me abt their plans, despite me talking to his folks . But , all this slowly started taking a toll in terms of my health, sanity etc. One day, I just woke up and realised that it's my life. If H feels overprotective of his folks, so be it. I just stopped caring.

8. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Just like Guesshoo said "WATCH THE DRAMA" haha I smiled when I read these words...basically I had similar issues, I am and always be and outsider, at least they are flattering you during BIL marriage, in my case, I was completely blinded by everything....they wanted the new co-sis to get involved and friendly with all, esp SIL except me...I remained cordial...and finally the outcome was this new DIL taught them a lesson bigtime...they dont get along well...I am from other caste and follow my DH rituals, she from the same caste considers those as old fashioned things..she is good fitting reply to my inlaws...

9. arpha

arpha New IL'ite

Yes I do agree Soulful and Guesshoo...
    Here is the brief background for clear understanding
    We are on ttc and seriously fighting with the health issues we have.Because of this H is forcing me to reduce my household work. All this is worrying MIL, but now she is in a situation where she cant be filling H ears against as she was doing in the past. My H has learnt his lessons (not fully I must say) after a real long and tough time. He has pushed out ttc issue infront now and said that this should be our primary focus and nothing else. Before the proposal got finalised itself he has told me not to strain on marriage related activities.
    As long as the bride search was on for BIL it was like dealing with something deadliest, he has understood that MIL can be a show spoiler in everything. Also seeing how our lives affected, BIL made a smart move and decided the girl himself. Now MIL hands are tied up and she cannot do all those antiques which she performed at the time of my marriage.
    I was always hurt and ignored to the core despite the efforts I have put in for this family.

10. Swetha2017

Swetha2017 New IL'ite

Once I stopped caring, I was happier. In turn, I stopped listening to the constant comments (indirect or otherwise). I started gaining a lot more confidence...and am in a happier place. H has his days of 'my parents' etc etc. I don't ask any question or seek information. But he has realised that it doesn't matter to me anymore.