1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Changes to my diet

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by nivedhita, Jan 21, 2009.

1. nivedhita

nivedhita Senior IL'ite

Hi ruby

good to see ur reply.. I am actually trying to cut down of sweets, doing little dieting and also including 20 mins of excercise..

See in our weight loss thread..

luv
    niv

2. ranjoose

ranjoose Bronze IL'ite

Hi Nivedita,
    Try to follow this diet. I used to follow this but with exercise. I managed to lose weight and did not put on much even though i stopped exercising. The main thing is to watch your calorie intake. And avoid saturated fats.
    Some important things to follow
    -Switch to fat free milk
    -Cut down sugar to only 2tspns a day or lesser
    -Reduce salt intake
    -See to it that you use only 3-4 spoons of oil a day very strictly. Eat dosas without oil. idly podi without oil.
    -Avoid coconut,potatoes,kazhangu varieties
    -Avoid Coke,etc and fruit juices.
    Avoid chocolates, icecream, junk
    -Avoid maida, rawa

Try drinking 3 glasses of buttermilk or 2 glasses of fat free milk in a day. Eat 3 fruits a day and 2-3 servings of vegetables a day. never starve/feel hungry. Eat healthy.

Morning when u get up
    Warm water with lime.NO HONEY strictly- adds calories..

Instead of coffee why not substitute it with black tea without sugar?? Those flavored tea bags work out well. Gives you the caffeine you need.

Breakfast-Oats Do u eat it with milk and sugar? Minimize your sugar intake to not more than 2 tspns a day.
    Try this- Boil oats in water with salt and some vegetables like carrot, cabbage,peas and beans- half cook them. This makes a nice fillling soup in the morning. See to it that you eat 4-5 tsps of oats. Not more than that.
    Also add a fruit to your breakfast- orange, apple, pears, papaya,grapes(12-15) etc.

Around 10 30: One fruit/ veg salad

Lunch: Can you replace rice with broken what?
    I cup of broken wheat+ poriyal+ sambar/rasam
    Buttermilk made with fat free milk.

Around 3 30 - 4 another fruit with black tea

Evening when you get home- black tea/ buttermilk with handful of roasted grams or bhelpuri(without sev-only pufed rice and onion,tomato and chutneys) or corn/2-3 marie biscuits/wheat crackers
    Again dinner- idly-3 or
    Dosa-2-3 (ragi, wheat) or
    chapathi-2
    with lost of sambar/sabji.

Give 2hrs gap between dinner and sleep.

Hope this helps..

3. nivedhita

nivedhita Senior IL'ite

Hi Rekhs..
    Coffee... yes :) I reduced my intake a lot :) quite happ actually .. but replacing it with milk n lemon juice... though.
    But I see milk is also a danger.. especialy I have it just before sleep. so i shd avoid that and have it an hour earlier.. shd remember that .. Hey can I have ur inputs on sprouts.. Can I consume it daily...
    thanks again for taking time to reply

luv
    niv

4. nivedhita

nivedhita Senior IL'ite

Wow ranjoose :thumbsup, thats really informative... But I am giong to take sometime by making these changes but I willing to try.

The biggest mistake I first make is I take honey with lemon juice and oats Drowning.. So my first change is to eliminate honey and replace with sugar natura pills. coffee intake has reduced to a great extent.

Another change is have to reduce the amt of oats I eat. I eat a lot of oats with milk and honey.. I Will first include these changes and then will slowly start following the rest. But then thanks again for giving a detailed diet that needs to be followed.

luv
    niv

5. Rekhs06

Rekhs06 New IL'ite

Hi Niv,

Honey and lemon juice with warm water early in the morning on empty stomach is very good to reduce ur weight... Pls dont replace sugar natura pills.. coz itseems it has an effect on health.. thats wht my doc says... honey though has same calories is very good for health.. and can be had in moderation... just dont have too much of it...

Sprouts is very good for health... its even better than the whole beans as when it sprouts its easier for ur body to digest... i generally sprout diff beans.. like one day green bean, one day black bean, white bean, red bean.. even whole masoor daal is very good... i m very lazy.. so i sprout it my way.. which is a easy way... i just soak it in water overnight.. in morning i drain the water... and leave the beans (it shud be wet n nt dry,... so if it dries.. sprinkle some water)... by next day it sprouts...
    Sprouts as such is very healthy, but nt many like its taste... so add it to ur diet.. u can mix a little salt, pepper, lime juice and also coriander leaves... and onions.. it tastes good... if u want to eat it daily... then hv it just a little daily.. else u can hv it maybe twice a week... if u find the sprouts r too hard to eat.. just steam cook it a little so that they get soft... :) just twist it a little.. after all u need to satisfy ut tast buds also rt.. ;-)

6. reshma123s

reshma123s New IL'ite

Hi Nivedhita,

Just try these three things:

1. Drink 2.5 Litres of water
    2. Exercise Daily for half an hour
    3. Eat rice only for lunch (1 cup only - buy these measuring cups from reliance fresh), for breakfast eat a food made out of wheat, for lunch - have 1 cup rice, 1 cup dal/thick sambar/thick rasam, 1 cup of vege sabji, 1 cup of salad and for dinner have 2 phulkas, 1 cup dal [NO SABJI] and 2 cups of salad.

Salad is very important to have in the beginning of ur lunch/dinner and do NOT avoid it.

If you want to drink milk or curd, you can, but use only skimmed milk [0.1% fat] and low fat curd [0.1 %]. Milk, you should drink around 250 ml to 500 ml Daily.

Happy weight reducing. :thumbsup

Cheers,
    Reshma :)

7. nivedhita

nivedhita Senior IL'ite

Hi rehks, u have given some more useful information thanks. I seriously did not know abt sugar natura pills. I was planning to start using religiously and cut down on sugar n honey totally... Anyway I will have that in mind and try to stick with honey in moderation..

Yeah, thats the exactly the same way I sprout.. I was not sure if I can have it regularly or not. I guess there is no harm in having little quantities everyday.. Have u tried methi sprouts. I heard it is very good for health. I am planning to try that.. Methi sprouts have a lot of nutritional value. so u may what to check it out.

thanks for replying dear rekhs..
    take care

8. nivedhita

nivedhita Senior IL'ite

Hi reshma

somehow excercise I am not able to do for 30 mins :hiya.. but I am trying hard to atleast 20 mins of walking.. Need to increase my water intake I guess..
    Right now I am doing banana diet :rotfl(read it is very effective).. I am trying it out and will mention if there is a weight loss. thanks for the inputs

9. prathima09

prathima09 New IL'ite

Hi Aruna, Anees :),

When i started drinking more water i too had the same washroom problem.. encouraged me to know the solution..
    this is what i came to know.. it seems that in the starting days of our water therapy.. i.e when we drink more water it helps in cleaning up our body..cleaning toxins etc.. around the cells in body.. and cause to visit wash room frequently..:).. but when we continue drinking water slowly cells start absorbing water and it increase the glow of skin and good health..and visits to washroom decreases..
    Drinking atleast half liter luke warm water early in the morning is more important..Computer Typing
    hence continue drinking water.. hope problem is solved..
    regards
    Prathima

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009