1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Change Of Name

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Change of Name

When we are born, we are not asked if we want to be born, nor do we have a choice in our gender, and neither what parents we can choose.Alongwith that, we have to live with the name our parents choose for us, without asking our permission. Well we are so helpless peeing in our pants, sorry diapers, that what name we want is the last thing on our minds then. The first is food, and the last is food.

Take my example. I was born , the pandit named me Keemat, but my parents had a bright idea and named me Kamal. As I grew up, I found out a few girls called kamal in our locality, and my friends used to rib me , that I had a girlish name, not that I was girlish.

I thought of changing my name, but where to go, eh ! Well as I grew up into a young handsome man, in college too I found out that 2 girls were also Kamal’s. To my delight, I found out that Rajesh Khanna was named Kamal in Aap Ki Kasam, and later Jackie Shroff in Rangeela.And Kamal Hassan came in hindi films too. That gave me a lot of confidence and I decided against changing my name.

Today the papers said, a law has been passed, whereby u can change ur name totally. Say I am Ramesh, I can change my name to Amitabh, I don’t know if I can add Bachan behind but Amitabh surely I can become. Previously they were just changing the spelling mistake in yr name.

A lot of people will eb happy with this new law. Parents used to write the pet names of the children in school, for example, Bunty, Babli, Chottu, Moti, etc. But when they went to make passports they found out that the birth certificate has a different name, the school a different one, and problems occurred.

Just look at these terrible names. A new fad had become to combine parts of parents names to n ame the child, for they thought the child is a part of us, so why not he share our names too.But that created more confusion. See how it works here.

Suppose these names were combined, what was the name of the kid. Here goes

Keshav + Lalita = Kela (Banana)

Kutti + Tamanna = Kutta (Dog)

Batra + Tata = Batata (potatoes)

Tata + Tikam = Tati (****)

Ramesh + Vanita = Ravan

So now these unfortunates get a chance to change their names to their liking. The only hitch is they can do it just once.

I have two daughters, I wonder if I had a son what name would I keep for him. The name should be unique, easy on the tongue, and everyone should remember and respect that name. Then it struck me, I could name him KANS.

Short and sweet, all the boys would be scared of him , and if he was sick I could just call the school and tell the operator, that kans cant coem today, he is not well, she wont even ask me his surname, or his class, she would know who I am talking about !!!!!

Its anoter matter that when he would go to work, all his collegues would rib him about his name, and one fine day he would come and break my 32. But alas that day never came, but don’t u agree Kans is such a sweet name eh !

Where are those sweet and simple names like Radha, rukmani, sita, reshma and the likes, and ramesh suresh, Ved, prakash and prem ?

The names the parents keep these days, I just cant remember. So when we go to visit someone with small kids, we just say, how is the little one, and even if they tell us the nake a dozen times, I just cant remember at all.

Well I think they can come up with another thing, that people who don’t like their spouses , can give up the old ones and take a new one.

What say friends ? Let me run before u throw tomatoes at me, I wont use them, they are so cheap these days, throw yr sandals, but make sure u throw both, at least a pair will fetch something in the market eh !

HAHA

KAMAL MAHTANI

Valentine Day is around the corner

Surprise your girlfriend this Valentine by introducing her to your wife!

Message brought to you by

David Coffin and cremations Ltd !!!!!

Arvind Kejriwal's suggestion for TN CM issue:

Sasikala should be the CM of TN on Odd days

Paneerselvam should be the CM of TN on Even days

I met a very smart girl, Richa, practising as a lawyer, at the post office.

She was posting about 4 dozen cards.

I asked her what was the occasion?

She said that these were Valentine cards and signed as "Guess Who" and sent to all the married men in and around her society.

She said that last year she had posted about 2 dozen and was lucky to have about 2 divorce cases.

So this time she wanted to increase her business...

Ad in The Hindu, Chennai :

Housekeeper needed at Poes Garden.

Decent Salary.

Good career prospects .

Could become CM later.

A HEARTY LAUGH

An Indian goes to Walmart in the U.S.

He finds cat food at special prices.

He picks a dozen cans of cat food & goes to check out.

The Manager gets suspicious. He thinks that this guy might not have a cat & will probably feed cat food to his kids. He asks the Indian to show him his cat before he could let him have cat food.

The Indian goes home & returns with a cat & gets to buy the cat food.

Next week the Indian finds dog food at special prices.

He picks a dozen cans of dog food & goes to check out…

The Manager again gets suspicious. He thinks that this guy may have a cat but he cannot have a dog & he will probably feed dog food to his kids.

He asks the Indian to bring & show him the dog before he can let him have dog food.

The Indian goes home & returns with a dog.

He gets to buy the dog food.

The following week, the Indian comes to Walmart with a bag. He asks the Manager to put his hand in the bag. The Manager puts his hand in the bag, feels some thing slimy & immediately pulls it out…!!!

He shouts at the Indian, “What the hell…!!!

This is ****, You Idiot…!!!???”

The Indian calmly replies, “Yes, now may I buy some toilet paper which is on special please… ???”

Dont mess with Indians

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji - LOL !
    When the couples are not so creative in naming business, the thing they do is this combining of their names to coin something which most of the time has no meaning. Personally know some who have followed the technique. The problem is when they ask our opinion on the name they coined.

Ha..Ha.. You too follow this technique ?!
    Enjoyed the jokes at the end too !

Kamalji likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

LOL Kamalji. Now you have made me think. Like I mentioned a while ago, I feel like a common noun. Always dreamed of changing my first name and had many options in mind. But then loyalty to my parents and sentiments stopped me from doing so. Anyway, the name Satchi has proved lucky and fetched me a lot of love and friends here on this forum. So I am not complaining. :-D

Kamalji likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

In the previous generation parents spent a lot of time reviewing the thousands of names of Gods and Godesses to pick a name. Nowadays, the list of names for boys and girls are available online and which one are most popular.

I have come across a few who named the children with half of both husband and wife's name. With your examples, I feel it could be disastrous. For example, if Simran marries Richard, the child could be named as "Simcard". If Moulina marries Sebastian, the child could be named "Mouse".

When we were in the height of doing acquisitions in our corporate world, we used to play a game in our spare time to decide what would be the combined name of corporations, if they decide to merge.

If Federal Express decides to merge with UPS, the chosen name would be "FedUP" and if Lockheed merges with Boeing, the chosen name would be "Locking". :)

Viswa

5. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

LOL.... I'm guilty of this :D

eldest son has mine and his dad's
    second son has both his grandfathers'
    and my girl has both her grandmothers'

No complaints from both sides of family as first one means power, second one means sacred, and youngest means the beautiful one. If I combine parts their names, it means light :blush:

Kamalji and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

With my first born, as I was fretting about names my DH assured me that he had a perfect name for him. He had decided (teasingly of course) that we would name our child Tabla - logic being if a girl can be a Veena, a boy why not a tabla? With the second one, the first one had decided two things - one he had assumed that baby is never going to come out. After all mommy has been telling about a baby in the tummy for a million days (he was barely 3 then) and two if she comes out, we had to name her Venus, then his current obsession - Solar system!

Finally, thanks to my grandma she furnished a list and DH picked the names. You ask me about my say? My only condition was grandma had to decide the names. She was way too clever for me and never mentioned a single name but gave a list of 5 to 7 to choose from, keeping both of us happy. As long as he got to pick DH was happy and as long as he limited to my grandma's list, I was happy :)

And then as you know, my name is meaningless I believe and I love it. I have had a couple of people here assure me that they love my name so much that they will name their kids the same. I would never know if they actually did or not but these were random people that one runs into in life. But still it always put a smile on my face!

It is interesting about your name though. Being a South Indian, it was always a Kamala and Kamal automatically a boy! Come to think of it are there any other flower names that are neutral? I know Jasmine is always a girl, so is Rose....can't think of anymore!

Kamalji likes this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Naming a child is a laborious process. We had to name based on horoscope so had to wait until our child was born. Then we had to select the name before we left the hospital. I was tired aftee the birth and slept. Finally , the nurse gave a deadline of one hour to finalize the name before we had to leave the hospital. We both started going through the names on the internet and then selected one. Hope he likes his name. The good part of horoscope is that atleast the first two letters are already selected so the choice becomes easier. In US, changing a name is easy.
    I had read somewhere that some cricketer named his child India. There are many interesting names people have these days Eleven, May, April, Canyon, etc. Some names just follows the generation like George Bush and are distinguished by middle initial or roman literals.

Some get banned for g

Kamalji likes this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Keemat ji oops sorry Kamalji, it is good that you got renamed otherwise people might be asking you Tera keemat kya hai. That is worse than having a feminine name. A sindhi mithaiwalla of my childhood was called Gaindamal. But he was so huge that people called him Ghendamal behind his back. likening him to a rhino. Kamal is better than Gaindamal, no?

Kamalji likes this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    This obsession with new names is crazy. I too do not rememberthe names. Yes, it is always how the little one is doing or some such subtle phrase. Suhrath, suvrath and Hriday Re my friend's kids. She says they are selected from Vishnusahasranamams. Why these names from sahasranam, 997 are there!!!!
    Syamala

Srama and Kamalji like this.
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pavitra,
    Well sometimes the names come out corny. i personally prefer the simple names of old. In each classrrom, u could have two radhas and usha's. Now i pity the poor teachers.HAHA

Jokes courtesy friends of Whats App.
    Regards
    kamal

PavithraS likes this.